Please help interpret this IP6700 eeprom print test

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Hogwild, I copied your nozzle check and examined it carefully for any missing nozzles and couldn’t find any, and I reckon you’ll have to find yourself another paperweight, because this printer look as good as they come, in fact excellent.

Now that you have a good working printer, don’t try to use refillable cartridges because this printer deserves to use only OEM cartridges, now whether you purchase new or empty ones, is entirely up to you but the printer will work the best with quality cartridges...

Now despite all the naysayers, including myself, you stuck with it and landed a great printer, so its congratulations on your great success, enjoy... :D
nozzle check.png

Aw, damn..I can't even upload the photo.
Stick with Jpeg or PNG and they will upload for you first time..

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Stratman:

Yes, it does appear to look good. Thanks for that. I'm not likely to refill, even though the printer now needs a new black cartridge. They are in the clearance bin at my local Staples for $CAD 14.99 which is cheap enough for me that I'll pick up one, install and try it. It appears with the black, this printer should be okay. BTW, the printer had printed 155 pages when I got it, acc. to the eeprom print.

For my next batch, I'm thinking of buying genuine cartridges from an eBay seller from whom I've bought previously. I've bought a total of about 15 cartridges from him in the past. Prices were dirt cheap and the ink always worked fine.

That leads me to my next questions:
How old can you go? What is the oldest age dye/ink you can buy that won't cause any problems/damage to the printer. Oh, and is there such thing as counterfeit cartridges in Canon retail packaging etc? And finally, there is much confusion about the date codes on the packages. Is there an authoritative answer for that?

Peter: Thank you for that. It does look very similar to what I'm getting, which is a big relief. As for CD printing, I didn't get a tray with the unit. No problem, as I planned to buy one off eBay. Interestingly, though, one of the test pages (I think it's the service test print) has the words "CDR sensor=OK" on it. So I assume it just needs a tray, and for me to "enable" to Euro configuration. I will make sure it's printing properly before paying for that tray.

Hat: Thanks for that. As for the uploading, I tried multiple times to upload a standard JPEG, but it gave me the same error. My scanning software doesn't save to PNG, but I suppose I could always convert. That seems silly though, considering I had no problems uploading images here before. Oh and...yes, I have to agree, most IT people don't know about that kind of thing. TBH, it was never part of my job when I was a tech. I did, however, do occasional servicing of Laserjets. Cleaning, changing rollers, separation pads.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Staples are a good place to go for empty OEM’s, but you also need the orange clip for the bottom of the carts, and once you have given them a good cleaning, they will be as good as new.

There are two ways to refill the CLI-8 carts, which you’re going to have to learn at least one of them and you’ll also need a resetter for the chips and a load of new bottles of ink, it can get a bit costly to refill, but once you have collected all the necessary items once, then printing will cost nothing for a very long time.

If you plan of getting old stocks of OEM cartridges, there is no age limit to the ink inside, it will work perfectly and cause no issues, and counterfeit cartridges always look very different to genuine OEM’s, they won’t have the proper Canon label or seal on the top nor the correct clip on the bottom, disregard any date stamps.

Laser printers a total different kettle of fish to an inkjet, Lasers usually work properly for ages and need very little maintenance except for some replacement parts.

But when you work with inkjets it must be a partnership, brake any of the inkjet golden rules and your stuffed, they like the hands-on approach like a woman.:love

When the correct procedure for refilling is followed, it can last for years, just like @jimbo123.
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ch-thanks-to-this-site-and-its-members.10996/

Here is Nifty’s instructions on uploading...
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/how-to-upload-pictures-images-to-printerknowledge.8227/

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hat:

Thanks. I think you misread my earlier post, though. I'm going to get a FULL Genuine Canon cartridge right now at Staples. Then, if all goes well, and things print fine for a while, I'll eventually buy my fresh cartridges from that eBay seller I mentioned. I'll follow half your advice on the cartridges, though-I'll keep the old ones just in case I ever decide to refill. Where can I find the best HOWTO for beginners for refilling used CLI-8 cartridges?

I will try to figure out why I can't upload this time (but I could previously). Something tells me it may have to do with the problem child (AKA Chromium browser).

BTW, the first lesson I learned from this was not from buying an old, used printer but from opening the ink cartridges. I put about 8 square feet of newspapers on the floor, read the Canon insructions, but didn't understand exactly how to peel the seal off the fresh cartridge. Let's just say that this morning my hands make me look like a guy who stole a high-priced item from a fashion store and got branded. :rolleyes:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How old can you go? What is the oldest age dye/ink you can buy that won't cause any problems/damage to the printer.
Canon has told me two years on ink from date of purchase. This does not take into account how long it has been on the shelf. Possibly they mean once the cartridge is opened to air.

The general rule of thumb is bulk ink once opened should be used within two years. Depending on storage environments and handling procedures, the ink may become less than optimal in shorter periods of time. Leaving an unopened (let alone opened) bottle of ink in direct sunlight or high heat will shorten function of the ink. Same could go for sealed and opened cartridges.

"New" unopened OEM Canon from a retail store should be good regardless of how long it's been on the shelf.

Oh, and is there such thing as counterfeit cartridges in Canon retail packaging etc?
Most likely but I've not come across one that I recall. No one makes the cartridge like Canon. Similar but not the same, at least not in the CLI-8 format. You would most likely notice significant color shifts in the printed image since most non-Canon inks are noticeably different in output without a printer profile. I use Precision Colors inks because they are close enough matches to OEM Canon for my use without a printer profile.

there is much confusion about the date codes on the packages. Is there an authoritative answer for that?
Not that I am aware of.

I have no idea how to tell how old a new retail cartridge is by looking at the packaging. I wonder if retailers know how old the cartridge is except looking up when they purchased the stock, but that doesn't tell them exactly how old the cartridge is (date of actual manufacture).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Where can I find the best HOWTO for beginners for refilling used CLI-8 cartridges?
Traditional top-fill method
http://www.precisioncolors.com/C6B.html (click on the tab "Instructions" to see instructions) (This is also the web page to buy refill supplies for your ip6700)

Durchstich or German side-fill method
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...thod-for-the-pgi-520-cli-521-cartridges.3806/

It appears the most popular method for all cartridge types is the Traditional method.

I use the Durchstich method with my CLI-8 cartridges. Differences from Traditional method -- Need longer needle, at least a 2" needle; Do not need to cap or seal hole or ink exit port with clip; Less to no mess possibly negating need to wear gloves (I do not); potentially faster.

Regardless of refill method, get the Squezy system (or similar squeeze bottle system if from another vendor) instead of using a syringe. Faster, cleaner, easier.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
BTW, the first lesson I learned from this was not from buying an old, used printer but from opening the ink cartridges. I put about 8 square feet of newspapers on the floor, read the Canon insructions, but didn't understand exactly how to peel the seal off the fresh cartridge. Let's just say that this morning my hands make me look like a guy who stole a high-priced item from a fashion store and got branded.
:hugs :lol::lol:
All I can say is your printer will love you even more if you stick with using OEM carts.

Here are instructions done on video, they cover the CLI-42 carts but they are exactly the same cartridge just a different code on them, there are lots of detailed written instructions here on this forum also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AldiADmkg44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QObsDwV6fH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsU9lWkbvRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRioNMF8neA

http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42instruct.html

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/top-filling-method-for-canon-cartridges.5534/

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-must-read-if-you-want-to-start-to-refill.6533/

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/draining-a-canon-cartridge.4760/
Enjoy... :)

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
You all are amazing. What an adventure and it's starting to look successful. Hat: Will those links also tell me where to buy the necessary gear/supplies (not just the ink)?

Does anyone know an Ebay or other seller in North America with a reasonable price on the CD tray? The most common seller on Ebay charges $USD 47.00 for the tray, which is probably 3x what Canon would charge if they had them.

Going to pick up my black cartridge in a couple of hours, and then it's time to do another test print to see if black will come out a bit darker.

TBH, I hate throwing things in the landfill and that's another reason I like doing this. In my middle-class-ish neighbourhood, I see inkjet printers fairly often in the garbage. Often fine, or easily reparable. Good for the environment to reuse them.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I just checked Ebay and it seems the "C" tray for iP6600 and other printers is very scarce and thus expensive. How about a DIY solution? If you decide to try this I could scan a "C" tray to give the dimensions.

If you want to refill your cartridges at a later date, then keep the orange outlet sealing clips and reattach them using rubber bands when the cartridges are empty. This protects the cartridges from drying out, so they can easily be refilled.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Peter:

Thanks for looking for me.
I'd prefer to do buy one ready-made. I'm quite overwhelmed lately and don't have time for many more projects.

As for the orange caps, I'd better go fish them out of the recyclying bin, if they're still there. Putting them on with rubber bands sounds very shaky. Are you sure that works?

Also, I think some of the ink in those old cartridges is already dried up. Should I still try to save 'em? Is there a way to wash them out or is that a ton of work?

I just checked Ebay and it seems the "C" tray for iP6600 and other printers is very scarce and thus expensive. How about a DIY solution? If you decide to try this I could scan a "C" tray to give the dimensions.

If you want to refill your cartridges at a later date, then keep the orange outlet sealing clips and reattach them using rubber bands when the cartridges are empty. This protects the cartridges from drying out, so they can easily be refilled.