Please help interpret this IP6700 eeprom print test

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Hi everyone:

Just started troubleshooting and working with inkjets a few weeks ago, so semi-newbie here. Would like to buy a used Pixma IP6600 someone I know is selling. He provided an eeprom print page, but I'm confused by the unusual results.

A few things that confuse me:

TPAGE=00000
CLT=2070/01/01
D=001.4
ST=1970/01/01

Most other counter values, except for ink quantity, are at 0. I have the service manual to understand a typical Pixma eeprom page, but what do these unusual dates and counter numbers mean in this case? The install date and last cleaning time don't make any sense.

Can a Pixma be reset somehow so that it looks like it's brand new when it's used? I don't want to buy a lemon. I want to know at least approximately what I'm buying.

Thanks
used printer eeprom test.JPG

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you are perfectly right, that's numbers of a new printer after 10+ years of hibernation, like turning back the mileage counter on used cars. He probably wants to tell you that he serviced the waste ink pads and replaced them and that you get a new printhead, but this method is not increasing confidence into the seller. It's always at your risk buying used equipment , balance the risk against the price and how urgent you need just that printer.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree with Ink stained Fingers. It looks like the EEPROM has been cleared. This was possible on printers using push button codes for service mode operations like the iP6600d. You find a service manual here. See page 1-29 and on for interpretation of the EEPROM printout and pages 1-25 and on for the service mode operations. Notice the possibility of an EEPROM initialization. If you need to change or wash the ink absorbers you can clear the absorber counter (D-value = 0), you should never clear the EEPROM and remove the printer's usage history.

An even more important printout is the service test print, which among other things shows the condition of the print head. See pages 1-28 and 1-29.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Hogwild, +2 in an agreement with the above.
Whomever the previous owner was they either knew very well what they were doing clearing the EPROM values back to first manufacture or they didn’t have a clue which is even worse.

The iP6700 is truly a great machine so I wouldn’t write it off just yet, the one thing you need over everything else is a proper nozzle check, and if that is clear without any lines in it then you have yourself a real gem.

If you can’t get a proper nozzle check print, then drop the printer in the nearest dumpster and walk away, no excuses, because it won’t be worth having except as a door stop... :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have reset the EEPROM on a previous printer by "accident". I didn't mean to reset the whole kit and caboodle, it happened because I was being a Curious George. Lesson learned.

Without knowing more about your friend and their printer, a print out of the EEPROM that shows essentially no use at all for a printer that is being offered for sale is a red flag if for nothing else than how full are the ink waste pads. You cannot even guess whether the ink waste pad counter has already been reset once and that ink may leak from the printer sooner rather than later.

If you purchase this printer then either disassemble to ascertain the ink waste pad status (and clean them at that time) or place the printer on a tray that can capture leaked ink to prevent damage to furniture and flooring.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have also accidentally erased info on Canon printers due to wrong use of the service mode operations. See this. "Service mode" + "Trial and error" = "A bad idea" IMO.

Druckerchannel.de has an excellent article about ink absorber change on Canon iP6600D/iP6700D. If you don't read German then here is a translation to English.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have also accidentally erased info on Canon printers due to wrong use of the service mode operations. See this. "Service mode" + "Trial and error" = "A bad idea" IMO.
What's done is done and there's no going back, like calling your girlfriend by another girl's name. :hide

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't get the reference to the ink absorber. Are you mentioning this to me just as a separate point, or does it relate to this particular printer? Please clarify.

Otherwise, thanks for the great advice, folks. Very helpful indeed.

I'm working for a computer client. If anyone knows where my client could purchase an IP6700 or IP6600 in the Toronto, Canada area, that would be nice. Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When the ink absorbers become full, the printer is locked to prevent an ink spillage. You can then replace or wash and dry the absorbers and reset the absorber counter to unlock the printer. It is not recommended but possible to reset the counter to unlock the printer without changing the absorbers. Some say you can do this one time without risk others say you risk a very nasty ink spill.

Another item recorded in the EEPROM is the CH=xxxxx, this is the number of times a print head has been inserted. If the print head is removed and reinserted after cleaning outside the printer, this value increases from 1 which is the normal value. If there has been a lot of problems with the print head the CH value could be as high as 10 or 20. An EEPROM erase could be a handy way of hiding this fact.

Before buying this printer I suggest to examine both the normal nozzle check from the printer maintenance and the extended nozzle check "Service Test Print" from service mode. Not all sellers are dishonest and everybody is innocent until proven otherwise, but ask the seller why the EEPROM data were cleared.

Here is an example from the druckerchannel.de Canon forum and it is in English here. Someone wants to clear the EEPROM as he claims the printer is overhauled and as new and he wants to sell it with "the mileage counter rolled back". Notice the negative reaction. Newer Canon printers need a software tool to perform service mode operations and the newer software tools don't have the ability to erase the EEPROM. In some parts of the world the warranty is limited by both time and number of prints. I think to remove warranty fraud the ability of resetting the EEPROM was removed from the service tools.

The iP6600D might be OK but I suggest to examine it carefully before buying, especially as it is not for your self.

BTW what is the price asked for the printer?

Last edited:

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PeterBJ:

What information is included on the extended nozzle check "Service Test Print" page?
I Googled your term, but couldn't find anything, so I'm confused.

The print quality, at least for the black printed on the eeprom test page, looked fine.

Price? Too high, let's put it that way. I don't know why these things tend to command such a high price on eBay, Amazon, etc. Yes, they're darn good printers, but 50% of retail cost after they're used and 10 years old ?!?

How difficult/annoying is it to clean or change the waste reservoir sponges on the IP6700/IP6600 in case I have to do that?

Is there anything other than the print head and the sponges that wears out on these models?

Thanks for all this great advice.

Last edited: