Please help interpret this IP6700 eeprom print test

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Glad to hear you succeeded in removing the blocking plastic strip. The rollers do actually support the tray, by pushing down on the edges of the tray. I opened the tray 45 degrees on the ip6600 and shot this. It is not the best photo , but I have marked one of the rollers:

iP6600 roller1.jpg

Ready to install the black ink, do a test, and if all is good, order the tray listed on eBay. In that case, I'll be able to print to discs in about a week and a half.

Hopefully you haven't left the print head without the black cartridge installed for any time longer than maybe a quarter of an hour. If the printer was left with one or more cartridges missing for days the print head might be ruined now.

I searched and found a website about CD enabling, it is called The five easy steps and it has photos showing the removal procedure, but beware, the website is virus infected.

The photos are here, without virus, click to enlarge:
iP6600 remove block 1.jpg iP6600 remove block 2.jpg iP6600 remove block 3.jpg iP6600 remove block 4.jpg

Edited to remove the link to a virus infected site.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
http://web.archive.org/web/20120102235022/http://damnprinter.com/

The MOAB of web sites for enabling Canon's and printing CDs via the Way Back Machine only, sadly.

Look for your printer model in the list and click on instructions. It will seem to error out but it is pausing to redirect you to the Way Back stored page. Be patient as may take 10-15 seconds or so to redirect. Skim the comment section, too, for people's tips, such as someone stating they could use Tray "B" on their ip6700D. (I would still buy the recommended OEM Tray C" unless you have a spare Tray "B" to try first)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Notice response #2 in the instruction linked to by stratman
"Confirmed on Pixma IP6700D and it will print on Tray B (from my IP6000D) as well."
Pixmas iP6600D and iP6700D are very similar and both use the "C" tray in disk printing regions. And this is from "The five easy steps" website
"Tray B seems to work fine with the IP4200 and IP5200 and some people have no problems with it on the IP6600, however the official Tray is Tray C for these models...buyer beware."

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
PeterBJ: There was some conjecture that the tray "B" could work in some earlier IP6600 units (firmware 1.04) but not in later ones, with firmware 1.06. Don't know, as I ordered the tray C you folks linked to.

Which site was infected with a virus, cause I got a virus warning from MS Security Essentials yesterday? I'd like to find out if it's the same site.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The differences between the trays is mostly dimensions and positions of the aluminium reflectors that serve to identify the tray and to position it properly in the printer. The "B" and "C" trays are very similar. I think the firmware version will not determine the tray needed, loading another firmware if it were available will not change the needed tray. I recommended getting a "B" tray if you could have it almost for free, else a "C" tray is the proper thing to buy.

The infected site was "The five easy steps" h**p://web.archive.org/web/20051223154245/h**p://pixma.webpal.info:80/IP4200/index.htm I don't like to post it, but at least it is not clickable now. You have to copy and paste it and change "**" to "tt" in two places.

Hopefully your MS Security Essentials will protect you. An alert does not necessarily mean your computer got infected, hopefully it meant a virus was blocked.

A good supplement to your MS antivirus is the free Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM). It does also come in a paid premium version, but the free version that does on demand scans is perfect as a supplement to other security programs. I recommend to scan your computer using both the MS program and MBAM.

Last edited:

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Peter:

CD tray "C" ordered from eBay seller. Shipped today. I should get it in about 2 weeks, barring any problems with customers (who have not been fun the last year or two).

OH, yeah, there's no problem there. MSE found the infection and quarantined the file. TBH, I've had no need for MBAM the last couple of years. With careful browsing, a little filtering at the router, and MSE, I've been just fine. I do, however scan with a bootable Windows PE-based disc once in a while just in case. That has MBAM and some other tools on A/V stuff on it. Oh, and I just reinstalled windows about 3 months ago.