Please help interpret this IP6700 eeprom print test

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Rubber bands work very well for keeping the orange clips in place on both empty and refilled cartridges. See this:

CLI8M empty and refilled.jpg

I think the instruction to discard the clips is probably to make refilling the Canon cartridges harder, by making the the cartridges dry out without clips. Canon don't like refillers. Save the old cartridges if they are genuine Canon. Use the clips you removed from the new cartridges to protect the old cartridges from drying out. If they worked in the printer they are OK for refill and not dry. But dry cartridges can be flushed and dried and refilled.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hat: Will those links also tell me where to buy the necessary gear/supplies (not just the ink)?
Not The Hat, but, I did give you the link for all your refilling needs at Precision Colors. If you are looking for a someone outside North America then Octoinkjet in England would be a good place in that corner of the planet.

Use Google to find the lowest cost CD Tray or rummage the second hand stores. There are no secret caches we know about.

From Google: CD Tray "C" is $40 on Amazon, $35 at Walmart. There are sites listed with instructions on how to make your own tray.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
"B" and "C" trays look rather similar so I tried using a "B" tray in my iP6600D. They behave equally well or badly, the printer has a problem with pulling the trays in, this is likely caused by hardening of the rubber rollers due to age. The important thing is that the two trays behave in the same way in the printer.

Maybe a "B" tray will also work in your printer? I cannot promise it will work but it will not be expensive to give the idea a try, see this offer.

Here is a disk printed in a B tray in the iP6600D. The "printable" disk is made from an old CD I glued paper onto.

iP6600 B tray.jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe a "B" tray will also work in your printer? I cannot promise it will work but it will not be expensive to give the idea a try, see this offer.
Sold! Maybe Hog bought it?

Here's one for ~$22 US, new, unopened straight outta Hong Kong. Seller with over 13K feedback, 100% positive.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Nah, that wasn't me. ;) Not yet anyways. A couple more questions that I didn't see answered already. Hopefully, I'm not overstaying my welcome. I'll try give back later.
I left the orange caps off the old 3 ink cartridges I replaced for a day and a half. The ink was years and years old and already somewhat dried up. Should I bother to recap them, or just keep the caps for when I reuse/retire the current cartridges.

Oh, and I can't remember where the writeup was, but some say you should use rollers and others say don't bother. When in doubt, I don't mind spending a little more. Do rollers come with the authentic trays?

What about the copper foil on some of them? Some people say you should have it, others don't. Dang, i wish I could find the link to that thread. I think its was on either Steve's Digicams or DPREVIEW.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I left the orange caps off the old 3 ink cartridges I replaced for a day and a half. The ink was years and years old and already somewhat dried up. Should I bother to recap them, or just keep the caps for when I reuse/retire the current cartridges.

Keep the orange caps. Flush/purge the old cartridges of the old ink with water and then dry before refilling. The sponge need not be completely dry before refilling. Do not use the old ink as it might have fungus/mold/bacteria or promote sludging due to decreased water content inside the cartridge and/or print head leading to ink starvation and permanent nozzle burn out.

Do rollers come with the authentic trays?
According to the following web page, only Tray B printers require rollers: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Guide-to-Canon-CD-Tray-or-Roller-Assembly-/10000000000013038/g.html

You need Tray C.

What about the copper foil on some of them? Some people say you should have it, others don't.
Are you talking about making your own CD Tray? You can try without it and then add the foil if necessary. Better yet, buy a Canon CD Tray and be done with it. Nothing will work better, just like OEM Canon cartridges.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, I went to the damnprinter.com HOWTO in the Internet archive, as you folks suggested. Most of it is duplicated from other places, but the one thing I can't figure out is how to remove the plastic insert on the printer before I can make this work. I see it shown for a few other models, but they do not look anything like the IP6600 in terms of that plastic piece. Can anyone point me to some screenshots?

And after this, I promise..no more questions in this thread.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the parts catalog for the iP6600D answers the question. See page 2 of 6, figure 3, item #15. The name of the part is "COVER, CDR TRAY BASE W/O CDR PRINTING" . This part should be removed. I don't think item #16 will need replacing, else there would have been two versions of it, I think.

I have read that the CD blocking parts are easily removed using a flat blade screwdriver, here is a zoom of the part, I think using a screwdriver for the part removal looks very plausible:

iP6600 CD block.jpg

And after this, I promise..no more questions in this thread.
No software problems after having solved the hardware problems?

Last edited:

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Stratman:

Thanks. Bookmarked that purging site.

PeterBJ: I got the orange clips fastened on the old cartridges with rubber bands, thanks.

As to the plastic insert, I finally managed to remove that. It took a lot more force than I was expecting. I'm a bit puzzled by the design, cause it seems like the rollers are above where the disc tray would go in. I thought they were suppposed to be below, no?

Ready to install the black ink, do a test, and if all is good, order the tray listed on eBay. In that case, I'll be able to print to discs in about a week and a half.

Last edited: