printer refill numbers - 983 refills. much thanks to this site and its members

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
been a while, looks like refilling is starting to wane as the newer ink carts are being more heavily used

wanted to report in on my refill numbers, so to share w new members

i've been refilling over 8 years, using a series of MP830's(PGI5/CLI8s) and a MP980(PGI220/CLI221s).

current count is 983 refills over 8+ years

my current PGI5 has been refilled 205 times, previous record of mine for a PGI5 was 88 refills.

here's a fun one. my CLI8 magenta is original, over 8 years old and has been refilled 117 times. it has outlasted 3 MP830's and 5 print heads.

i have never purged my carts. i use squeeze bottles with the german method. i only use one ink cart set that i refill/top off as a group and then put back in. also use Quiet Mode 100% of the time.

983 refills equates to some serious savings over the years.

much thanks to this site and its members

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Well that is an impressive count. Only original Canon carts i have are CLI-6 for a BJ which are 11 years old.
Still get a drop or 2 of ink on the ol hands when swapping and refilling a station though..........:lol:......enjoy the process everytime too

The Hat

Printer VIP
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP3
@jimbo123, that is a remarkable record and I reckon you are the only one that can truly say Refilling works because you cared to master the art and use it to your great advantage. :fl

This thread will have to have its own sticky, because it might inspire all those reluctant guys who think that refilling doesn’t work and wont last, O Yeah…:D

Well done Jim you are our refill king here on Nifty… :thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:bow:love:woot

Amazing! You're like the energizer bunny -- you keep going and going and going and....

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
i also refill a second MP980, for a nurse that comes here weekly, if you add the refills for her MP980 i'm at 1,191 refills

see attached spreadsheet i use to track refills, etc. my refill cost is down to $.38 a refill.

savings of nearly $17,000

i reinvested some of the savings a few years ago and have several new printers stored, models include
IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870. OK, more than several.....

J

• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Attachments

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have a similar longevity with less usage. Once I've settled on my refill method (same as Jimbo's) and inks (from a local supplier), refilling has become that 5' fun break between prints each month.

I use an MX850 with 2 sets of original cartridges that I purchased 7, 8 or 9 years ago. I don't remember :) But I have never purged those.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
jimbo123 said:
been a while, looks like refilling is starting to wane as the newer ink carts are being more heavily used

wanted to report in on my refill numbers, so to share w new members

i've been refilling over 8 years, using a series of MP830's(PGI5/CLI8s) and a MP980(PGI220/CLI221s).

current count is 983 refills over 8+ years

my current PGI5 has been refilled 205 times, previous record of mine for a PGI5 was 88 refills.

here's a fun one. my CLI8 magenta is original, over 8 years old and has been refilled 117 times. it has outlasted 3 MP830's and 5 print heads.

i have never purged my carts. i use squeeze bottles with the german method. i only use one ink cart set that i refill/top off as a group and then put back in. also use Quiet Mode 100% of the time.

983 refills equates to some serious savings over the years.

much thanks to this site and its members

That's amazing I have tried adopting your method on my Pixma MP620 about 18/24months ago and it worked like a charm. That is till recently I do not know whether it is the original cart or my Red Resetter.

First it was Magenta I got the first short flash but not the long one. Refilled anyway and then got the not recognized warning. I went through 5 different carts before I got one to flash correctly. Tonight it was large PG black but yellow was OK.

Did wonder about the battery OK on a volt meter but do not have the correct resistance one.

But your method works great keep filling.[/quote]

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
If a battery powered original redsetter behaves like this with only a short flash but no long flash, it is normally a sign that the battery should be replaced. I suggest to replace the battery to avoid chips being ruined by garbled data being written to them.

I have had a few chips go bad possibly caused by a redsetter running low on battery.

The PGI-520/CLI-521 redsetter uses around 5mA during a reset. To test the CR2032 cell in a realistic way with a simulated load the cell should be tested with a voltmeter in parallel with a resistor of 3.3/.005 = 660 Ohms. Use a standard 680 Ohm 1/4 W resistor.

The use of a high input impedance voltmeter without load resistor in parallel might lead to a false good indication. More about resetters and batteries in this thread.