Primera LX900 LX2000 Chip bypass

PrimeraBoy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera LX2000
Hi, I was interested in buying a label printer such as the Primera LX900 or LX2000. These darn things require a chip in the ink. Does anyone know a bypass or software mod that can be applied? I can't find anything online. If there isn't, I'm willing to pay someone to develop one!

Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@PrimeraBoy, I think the printer's communication with the chip is a vital part of the firmware, so I think you cannot print without chips. And who can write a new firmware and load it into the printer? This leaves compatible materials as the only alternative to the very expensive OEM cartridges.

Using the forum's search feature and entering "Primera" without the "" I find a lot of threads most of them about Primera disk printers. But here is an interesting thread about the Primera LX900 label printer with some interesting posts.

This post suggests to exchange empty ink cartridges with another Primera LX900 user. The reason is that the cartridge has a RFID chip under the label. It seems this chip only contains a serial number, and the printer remembers the serial numbers of the chips used. If you refill a used cartridge from another user, the chip number will be unknown to the printer, and the cartridge will be considered new OEM.

This post mentions a German supplier of replacement RFID chips. These chips are single use meaning each refill needs a new chip-

This post suggests to do a Google search on "lx900 reset chips". This finds more suppliers of replacement chips or 3rd party cartridges. See this and this.

I also searched for chips for the LX2000 but found none.

If you try any of the chips or cartridges please report your results.

PrimeraBoy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera LX2000
Hi PeterBJ, Thank you for the reply! I did find the exchange and changing out the RFID chips online as well. I have tried it and it seems to work but it still adds up really fast.

The bummer about this printer is the ink cartridges only hold enough ink for 100 labels or so which is too small of a run for anyone with a business.

I wanted to bypass the RFID chip completely or modify the firmware so I can install a CISS system. Im willing to pay $1,000 if someone can do either the bypass or firmware mod.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@PrimeraBoy Adhesive labels for ink jet printers are also available on A4 or Letter size backing sheets, for instance like these or these. Years ago I bought some Avery printable labels and I could download some free layout software for the label sheets. With label sheets you can use a more refill friendly printer. I think the printer used for the label printing must have a rear feed for photo paper, the label sheets probably aren't suitable for cassette/bottom feed.

Sammy boy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
LX900
Any update on this? I am curious. I know others would like to solve their LX900 ink woes too.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This post suggests to exchange empty ink cartridges with another Primera LX900 user. The reason is that the cartridge has a RFID chip under the label. It seems this chip only contains a serial number, and the printer remembers the serial numbers of the chips used. If you refill a used cartridge from another user, the chip number will be unknown to the printer, and the cartridge will be considered new OEM.
@Sammy boy, when you replace each cartridge, the machine can only remember 3 carts, so by carefully rotating you carts after each refill you can reuse a cart every third time, and that should work for you, it will be a case of try and see..

barleybones

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera LX2000
Hi, I was interested in buying a label printer such as the Primera LX900 or LX2000. These darn things require a chip in the ink. Does anyone know a bypass or software mod that can be applied? I can't find anything online. If there isn't, I'm willing to pay someone to develop one!

Thanks!
I just bought an LX2000 about a month ago, and have been looking for refills or cheaper cartridges. While searching online I found this thread. I also was able to peal the labels off of one of my empty black cartridges, and it is just a relabeled HP 950(CN049S) cartridge. I would assume any 950 compatible cartridge would work? thoughts?

Last edited:

Runner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera LX900
@Sammy boy, when you replace each cartridge, the machine can only remember 3 carts, so by carefully rotating you carts after each refill you can reuse a cart every third time, and that should work for you, it will be a case of try and see..

Hi, unfortunately this is not true. I have chips that are used at least 30 cycles ago and the LX900 remembers them and is giving me -11%...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Runner, Unfortunate, using the 3 different cartridges trick to fool the printer may have been stopped by the release of a new firmware upgrade from the manufactures, it’s another reason for never allowing any firmware upgrades to invade your printer...

Runner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera LX900
The printer is 2 years old and was already with that firmware when I got it. Actualy the latest firmware is from 2013...

Latest posts