Primera LX900/Lexmark 100 series

trevortruckmount

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have recently purchased an LX900 label printer - the printer is rebranded but based on a Lexmark 100 series printer. The cartridges are small and expensive, have tried using the Lexmark 100 series cartridges which are cheaper but chips are different. Am now looking to get a CISS on it - does anyone know if there is a way to modify an existing CISS to fit on this printer? And anyway of getting over the chip issue?

All input gratefully received!

mikzymik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi iv also been having the same problem i have been searching the internet for ciss system and cheaper alternatives with no luck if you find a better way can you please post it up thanks

Kikkilatzi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello from Germany,

same problem here. The LX900 printer uses LEXMARK original printhead. We recently bought a demo printer LX900e, installed it and had bad luck with the printhead. No yellow! We used 10 of the tiny ink cartridges to clean the defective ph but could not get it going. We complained at the dealer and received a brand new original lexmark printhead. At least the printhead is not branded and we can use an original lexmark ph.

Now we are looking for a way to use some cheap ink or refill ink with the printer. I must say that I usually find anythign on the internet if there is some information about it but I was not very succesful yet with the CISS for that printer. Somewhere I have read a test about a CISS system from china but the test results did not sound good enough to even bookmark that info. The result was that the ISS delivers too much ink to the printhead causing ink to drip ouf of the printhead.

But I found something else which might be of interest for us. There is a company in Germany offering a refill system for the original cartridges. This works without drilling any hole into the cartridge. See yourself, here is a link to the product and a description: http://www.octopus-office.de/shop/d...refilladpater-und-nachfuelltinte-komplettset/
Maybe you can also get that refill set in the US, once you got it you can use cheap ink and refill your cartridges.

The original cartridges are refilled through the hole which connects the cartridge with the printhead. That way you do not need to drill any hole in the cartridge. The set comes with 4 adapters, one for each color. You insert the cartridge into the adapter and connect the injector with the adapter and push the specific amount of fresh ink slowly into the cartridge. This works only when you did not use up ALL the ink in the cartridge because in that case the RFID chip inside the ink cartridge will send out the signal INK OUT and the cartridge is no longer usable for a refill.

Let me know if anyone has found a better way for the Primera 900e ink.

I did not buy this unit but probably will do so, because for the prints I have done so far in 4x6 inch size the printer driver tells me that I actually pay 0,35 US $ for each print just for the INK only!

Our labels have full color background which of course makes the ink usage a major issue.

Hope to hear from you all - Primera LX 900 users.

Kikkilatzi

trader59

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Kikkilatzi

Did you try this system and if so what success did you have? I'm a long way away from Germany but am interested in trying this as the costs of operation are high buying branded product all the time.

Cheers,

Kikkilatzi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello Trader 59

I did not yet try the refill set because I wanted to check how the printer behaves once the chip tells the cartridge is out of ink. Other than the Lexmark you cannot continue printing with the LX900 printer. There must have been a modification in the driver or printer which makes it impossible to continue printing once the chip sends the signal EMPTY INK CARTRIDGE.

If you would remove the cartridge before it will go empty and refill it probably will not change anything about the issue. The printer calculates the amount of ink from the printed pages and seems to allow about 10% longer printing once the cartridge sent empty to the printer. Once the 10% after empty signal werre printed the printer stops and no more printing is possible unless you exchange the used up cartridge.

I also have not yet found a manufacturer of compatible ink cartridges with chip for the LX900

If we will not find a way to reduce printing costs we will probably have to seel the printer.

Best greetings

Kikkilatzi

tractor

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am in a similar scenario requiring label printing. We had a demo of the LX400 and LX900 which seemed great. The downside was when the ink cost was calculated it was 0.20 per unit (with a unit sale price of just over 1.00). Shame really, although dye-based inks may have been a problem for us.

The VP printer looks a bit more robust and comments around the internet seem to suggest that these are refillable although again dye based colour with pigment black.

Ten2Pwr6

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Regards to the Primera LX900... anyone try these options:

1.) try Lexmark 100, 100A, 100XL, 100XLA cartridges??

2.) try compatible cartridge (14 ml) using original chip from 50% or more
ink left in a Primera cartridge (7 ml) ?? Assuming chip "fries" at
25% or less... and then select "change cartridge" option??

3.) use refill kit when original cartridge reaches approx. 50%...
and then select "change cartridge" option??

4.) use 100XLA CISS with the above strategy...

Trying to find Chinese chips... sooner or later...

Regards,
10^6

inkchanger

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
If you send me your empty lx900 ink I will send you mine. This is the only way to defeat the RFID chip. I will keep a log of which ones you send and which ones you get so you do not get doubles. Send me a message if you are interested. You can then refill and it will be a new RFID your printer does not recognize. I have hundreds of empty lx900 from the past year. You send me yours and I will send you mine. Send me a message. I will only do this for the first 10 people who respond.

anotheruser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You can get chips - from a place called Octopus Office in Germany - chances are they're chinese chips but I'm not seeing any listed anywhere either other than those.

Was going to post a link, but I can't because I'm too new a user - if you search for octopus-office and primera 900 you should find them via google.

Ten2Pwr6

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
just google "lx900 reset chips" or this site has them inksrefillsciss [dot] com ... we are using them with success.