Refilling Pixma Pro-100 / Beginner

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Ok Joe I got it. How do you store your standby kit to keep from drying out?

Mikling, your site shows that the Squeezy Delux ink kit is out of stock? Should or can I pre-order? Let me know.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Well, after filling you plug the fill hole and you also need an exit port cap. Either the original with a rubber band or one od the 3rd party self locking one for PC.
You can also tape over the vent area if you really wish but I never do.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Mikling, I have several more questions, as I am placing items in my cart and ready to order.

1. Do you have the refurb Canon carts for the Pro 100 in stock? Your site says that stock is low and that the CLI-8 is compatible, so I'm not sure if I order what I will get. I'd like to purchase the refurb CLI-42 carts, so that no alterations is necessary.

2. Although your site shows the 32oz Deluxe squeezy kit(PC42) as out of stock (no squeezy caps). Does this mean the 16 oz Deluxe squeezy kit is also out of stock because of no squeezy caps? It doesn't show out of stock on the site, so just confirming before I order.

3. I've placed 16oz PC42 Squeezy Deluxe Kit with Resetter 8 Clips in my cart. Are these the Clips specifically for the Pro-100 cartridges or are they the CLI-8 clips?

I'm ready to order and don't want any surprises.

Thanks...Al

Just to clear thing up. The CLI-42 and the CLI-8 carts are physically IDENTICAL!!! The only differences are the chips and the labeling.
The exit port clips with fit both perfectly as they are as I said, physically and structurally Identical! Same plugs and clips will work for both.
SO if you use CLI-8s to create a back up set you would have to swap over the corresponding matching chips to the CLI-8s. You CLI-8 carts marked for GREEN and RED would hold the Gray and Light Gray inks. Since PC sell fully purged and clean CLI-8 empties, that would not pose a problem at all. You would need to re label them to Gray and Light Gray.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The 2oz squezy bottles use a smaller cap. The 4oz bottles have a larger neck. The 2oz bulk bottles that use the larger neck are too rigid, so as much as I didn't want to I had to go to a smaller and softer bottle for 2oz to have the bottles useable. The drawback is that in the future, you will need to transfer ink from the larger bulk bottles to the smaller 2oz. If you use a 4oz as the squezy bottle, no transfer is required except for the cap. For light printing, the 4oz bottles are really too large for the casual user. So there's the compromise.

ALL items for the CLI-8 fit identically on the 42. Chip mounting is exactly the same. Chip programming and chip thus chip itself is different. So anything, you'd do to a CLI-8, you can do the same for the 42.

About the carts. Many have caught on about the carts, saving the OEM ink and using the refurbed ones and instantly profile their inks or use my profiles by transferring chips. As a result of this, I've run out on some colors including black...(many are buying three Black with two for gray) which is the least used on normal printers so the least in the recycle chain after red and green. There is no need to get the special color ones. CMY would work just as well.

By the time I get more carts, clean and flush a ton of them, then dry them properly, I figure another week. Whew.

And then I have the profiles still on the go a;; the time....even right now. It is incredible. Argyll takes about 10 minutes to compute a profile and that's running a Quad core Phenom2 at 4Ghz...Argyll is single threaded though.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Thanks again fellas. I should have all that's needed to place my order now. I have no problems transferring ink from one bottle to another. Done.

Al

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Toolman:

Any method you choose requires prep work before refilling. I found removing the ball frustrating. Drilling a top hole instead is much simpler and any of the various proven methods for sealing can be used. YMMV of course.

I have cartridges I drilled a top hole for flushing but I still use the Durchstich method for refilling. Why? Because it is cleaner and faster for me.

The operational advantages of the Durchstich method are no gloves or cartridge clip needed to prevent mess and less risk of leaking cartridge as you do not need to seal the refill hole perfectly to prevent a leak later on.

Your description of the Durchstich method sounds like the a plot from a horror movie. It really isn't that dramatic. :eek:
I agree the Durchstich method is cleaner and in my view quicker and I get the carts filled right up, which I personally cannot achieve I get about 75/80% with top fill before the overflow occurs.

However with the newer printers I and others have experienced poor feeding after a relatively few refills with this method and for a time I reverted to top fill, but really think no 1 way is best you try both and make your choice.

I have no problem getting the ball out, I use about 0.015" drill in a pin vice then screw in a curtain screw-eye just 1 or 2 turns pull ball out, refill and put ball back in and unscrew the eye for future use. I always invert to check no leak and add a piece of tape as an additional safeguard.

However neither re-fill method is working for me at present, I get the printer back to perfect nozzle check but as soon as you apply a colour load you get missing cyan/magenta or both. I need to better understand how the ink is transferred from the sponge via the outlet to the print nozzles. However that should be the subject of a seperate thread

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
However neither re-fill method is working for me at present, I get the printer back to perfect nozzle check but as soon as you apply a colour load you get missing cyan/magenta or both. I need to better understand how the ink is transferred from the sponge via the outlet to the print nozzles.
What you describes sounds like ink starvation -- the ink inside the cartridge is not exiting the cartridge and being delivered to the print head properly. Clogs within the print head can cause a similar issue but from different mechanism.

Remedies for ink starvation include:

1) Making sure the sponges are seated properly in the cart. Visual inspection +/- fir tap or two (but NOT to the plastic cylindrical in outlet port to prevent deformation and improper seal in the print head).

2) Making sure no ink is in any of the air chambers within the cartridge used to equalize pressure as ink is drained. Blowing through the top vent hole can clear this trapped ink.

3) Completely purge the cartridge. This should resolve the issue of ink starvation.

4) Use a different cartridge, preferable new and OEM. This will resolve the issue of ink starvation every time. If not then there is something else in play.

ibanezfrelon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
I just got my Precision Colors refill set (thnx guys!). As a trial i have refilled one black ink cart, removed the little ball and refilled from the top. Have made quite a bit of ink mess in the process (all my fault, bad preparation) but i think i will continue to refill with german method because it looks easier. Is it completly safe to leave the little hole on the cart after refilling with german method? Wont it drip out a bit? O and guys, how do you clean the color off the hands? :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If you do the top fill prep correctly then it's just remove plug fill, plug!
Guess I just do not have the required skills and nerve to do the German Method. I feel it is full of variables. Do it perfectly and you are ok. Screw up a tiny bit and eventually you end up with ink flow problems due to various reasons.

Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
[quote="ibanezfrelon, post: 64452, member: 10765"Is it completly safe to leave the little hole on the cart after refilling with german method?[/quote]
Yes. Some people like to put some tape, such as HVAC aluminum tape, over the Durchstich refill hole.

Wont it drip out a bit?
Not unless you over fill the cartridge, squeeze the cartridge, radically change barometric air pressure, or make the refill hole grossly huge or wrong location. Just follow instructions and you will be fine.

O and guys, how do you clean the color off the hands? :)
You can use gloves with any method of refill if you would like. The Durchstich method has some popularity for not needing gloves once you have some experience under your belt. If you do need to clean ink from your hands and do not want to use chemicals then simple friction and water will do a reasonable job. I have used a plastic mesh pot/pan scrubber, like those pictured below, and water (plus or minus dish soap) with good effect. Not perfect but good. Anything reasonable that creates friction should work.

DSC09632.JPG