Refilling Pixma Pro-100 / Beginner

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Just letting him know that IS inks are carried by several resellers.

ibanezfrelon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
A little update.. I finally refilled my carts!!! :celebrate I decided on the top fill method, it went great. Removing the little ball was super easy, filling the carts with Precision Colors kit was again super easy. Only used a few tissues to wipe the needle after use and that's it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well that’s congratulations to yet another happy refiller and I hope you continue to enjoy
your printing even more so now by not having to buy the expensive OEM inks..:thumbsup

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
A little update.. I finally refilled my carts!!! :celebrate I decided on the top fill method, it went great. Removing the little ball was super easy, filling the carts with Precision Colors kit was again super easy. Only used a few tissues to wipe the needle after use and that's it.

That's good to hear.

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
Just did my first refill of the ink carts. As is usual the anticipation was much worse than the procedure! I used the top fill, and used an awl to pry out the little ball. Enlarging the hole to 5/32" was a bit unnerving even with a Hitachi variable speed drill. Worry about going too far! A drill press with depth control would have been nice ... or... change the size of the little plugs so drilling wouldn't be needed!

Another thought. The little plugs have a hole in them most of the way through. Would it be possible to just work the needle through the bottom of the plug? Then the plug could stay in place.

The printer now shows all carts full, so the chip resetter works. Yes! I like being paid $112. for the time it to refill the carts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s nice to hear of yet another very happy successful refill story, so congratulations to you also, your only problem now will be to find a good use for all the money you’ve saved. (Buy another Printer) :weee

I never liked fiddling trying to enlarge the refill hole probably because I’d make a pig’s ear of it, that why I just drill a small hole beside the refill ball and then seal it up again with hot glue after refilling.

There are silicone plugs that come with a centre hole and I have heard of some refillers just inserting the needle into this hole to refill rather that removing the plug altogether.

I don’t know how successful they were using that method but I would imagine there might be a few problems later because there’s a need to let the air out of the cartridge at the same time as the ink is going in, the plug does reseal itself afterwards..

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Filling through the plug is the same as German filling, except you don't touch the sponge and don't add extra holes to the cartridge. The cartridge must be held upside down, just like "German", and the air exits through the breathe hole (hopefully).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Filling through the plug is the same as German filling, except you don't touch the sponge and don't add extra holes to the cartridge. The cartridge must be held upside down, just like "German", and the air exits through the breathe hole (hopefully).
Have you tried this method? IIRC it was mentioned on the forum, but I never found the thread again. The silicone plugs seem to have self sealing properties, so injecting through the plug should work, and you can use an extra seal in the form of aluminium tape. A drawback with this method is IMO that you cannot use squeeze bottles but have to use syringes instead.

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
Okay. Faced with the prospect of giving up the squeeze bottles and/or holding the carts upside down, I'll remove the plugs, and hope and pray I don't lose any! Of course, some tape would solve the problem.

IIRC, two fill cycles is enough to get full benefit from Precision Colors' profiles? Does this take into account that the carts take wildly varying amounts of ink, or are PCs' inks so close to Canon's that there's no worry?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Have you tried this method? IIRC it was mentioned on the forum, but I never found the thread again. The silicone plugs seem to have self sealing properties, so injecting through the plug should work, and you can use an extra seal in the form of aluminium tape. A drawback with this method is IMO that you cannot use squeeze bottles but have to use syringes instead.

I did, but... What I expect from a refilling method is to be simple, fast, efficient(no of refills before a purge is needed) and to not damage the cartridge. That's why I ended up using top fill: reset, unplug, fill, plug and... done! :) You don't have to worry about ink not feeding properly, air maze filled with ink, damaged sponge, damaged plug, Al tape, etc.