Refilling Pixma Pro-100 / Beginner

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The correct clips are the ones that hook through the little spring loaded tab on the cart and then lock onto the cartridge. They are not like the OEM ones that once they snap off you have to rubber band them back on to use.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Do not reset a cartridge that is not being refilled or topped off. Resetting the cartridge may result in the printer thinking you have ink when in fact you have run out which could cause print head failure. The optical sensor is supposed to trigger a low ink alert when there is no more ink in the spongeless side of the cartridge but why take the risk? Reset a chip only when refilling or topping off.

I will do in the future. Once the inks are 1/2 I will just top them off.

Thanks...Al

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
EVERYONE who owns a PRO-100 and is refilling needs to read the link in mikling's post #79 about the Yellow OEM inks!!!!!
EXTREMELY important!!!

Last edited:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
The correct clips are the ones that hook through the little spring loaded tab on the cart and then lock onto the cartridge. They are not like the OEM ones that once they snap off you have to rubber band them back on to use.

I think I found the error of my ways. I viewed the photo of the clips on the webpage and I see better how it clips in.

Thanks...Al

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Just got to say thanks to all of you for the tremendous help with showing (guiding) me (and others) on how to refill these cartridges and saving tons of money and also for showing patience with the many questions I've had. I'm in printing heaven now. The Wifey loves all the photos I've printed so far of the family and that's just those from 2008 (working my way up to 2014). I didn't realize I had so many to print, but putting a dent in the process and saving plenty along the way thanks to you'll and Canon for having those huge photo paper deals.

Thanks...Al

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Question I've been pondering. Why is it necessary to seal off the vent hole when refilling the ink cartridge? I've seen so many videos on youtube where the person just refills the cartridge with the vent hole not covered, even the one video with the automatic refill thingy. So, it made me curious, so I ask the question.

Thanks...Al

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sealing the vent hole regulates how much ink can enter into the sponge side. If you do not seal it and you take a lot of time to fill the reservoir, the ink will have enough time to equalize the liquid height. Ideally you want the lower half of the sponge as saturated as you can get without the ink running completely up the other top half of the sponge. The vent hole then acts as a regulator valve controlling how much ink can enter the sponge side.

If the cartridge is being topped up, it is actually better to seal off the vent hole then top off. The reason is that 1. As soon as the vacuum is released on the reservoir side, some ink will still migrate to the sponge side and saturate the lower half of the sponge 2. The sponge side is already saturated because the reservoir is being topped up and no more ink really needs to be added to the sponge side as it was working fine before.

Now if you're filling from empty, then you will want the bottom half to be slowly saturated first, then when this is done, don't seal the vent hole ( if you're using a clip etc. use your thumb to do this) and then fill the reservoir now. If you overfill the reservoir too much, you can release your thumb to allow the sponge to take up the little excess. It will do this instantly.

Similarly if you're filling a virgin cart, allow the ink to migrate along the bottom and saturate the bottom, then use the mechanics of the vent hole to control the filling of the other side. If you take a look at a new Canon cart, that is your target picture.

Doing this not covered will for most refillers end up overfilling if they are not quick enough. Again, if you use the thumb regulator technique, you can get the reliability of top fill with the control of the German fill.....as long as you understand how to activate the mechanics of what is going on with the vent hole.

Last edited: