Refilling Pixma Pro-100 / Beginner

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Al. Get the Complete Set. It includes everything you will need.
Squeeze Bottles have no mechanical advantage. It is simply easier to inject ink into each ink reservoir with the bottles than to have to fill syringes and then have to clean them out.
I use both!

I MSGd you so check your conversations. Let's plan for a meetup! I am just on the other side of the beltway!

Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Question. What is the advantage of using a squeeze bottle vs. a needle? I am assuming it has something to do with the pressure in which they inject the ink.

You can use either, it is personal preference. The ease of using a squeeze bottle will become apparent the very first time you use it. Unless the bottle of ink you receive is capable of using a Luer Lock cap (more on this below) such as those bulk ink bottles sold by OctoInkJet.com, then purchasing a separate squeeze bottle is needed. Benefits include all the ink stored in one container without need to extract to a syringe for each refill, the bottle may be easier to manipulate during a refill than a syringe (once you refill you will understand), there may be less opportunity for bacteria and molds to get into the bulk ink container and the risk for major spills is decreased because there is no wide open bottle during ink transfers (except the initial one into the squeeze bottle), no need to wash out needle or syringe when finished.

I find squeeze bottle just plain easier on so many levels and well worth the additional start up cost.

Question. Are lock caps used to prevent the inks from drying in the bottle?
Luer Lock compatible queeze bottle caps allow for securing a Luer Lock needle onto it. this locked in needle is less likely to come off the cap ( or Luer Lock compatible syringe) and therefore may save you a messy spill or spray to clean up.

What may seem a daunting task - refilling - will become second nature, simple and quick. I also find it rewarding, both in saving a lot of money per cartridge as well as the satisfaction of the job well done.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Ok, great info.^^^^^^ From what I understand. I can screw the cap onto the ink bottle and add the needle and refill directly from the ink bottle - correct.

Man am I mad that I've been spending all that money on those Epson ink cartridges when I could have been saving tons. I just purchase a cartridge, too. Well, they won't get anymore from me.

Thanks...Al

Last edited:

ibanezfrelon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
Tough to decide on the refilling method. To fill from the top and use those caps or trough the little drilled hole on the bottom? Which method is better?
When refilling for the first time i assume it will take a couple of minutes for me to drill the little hole and all that stuff to refill the first time, is there a danger of the head damage with the dried ink while the cart is removed? I dont have the extra carts.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Couple of years ago or so I was refilling newbie.

Fortunately I stumbled over this site and was able to benefit from all the advice given here.

Refilling is easier than it looks. Unfortunately the descriptions make it sound more complex than it really is, probably because of the need for excruciating detail to avoid overlooking anything relevant.

If you follow the advice from the experienced members you will have no problems because it really is a walk in the park. Just take your time and follow the instructions to the letter. The biggest danger is accidentally knocking over a bottle of ink.

I tried both "German" and "Top filling" without any problems. Really comes down to which you prefer.

According to my calculation I have saved close to two grand with refilling

Roy Sletcher

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I :love Roy.

A voice or reason, no truer words have been posted, including which refilling method to use.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The German requires a bit of finesse in my opinion. Unless you get it right the first time, you could end up worse than you began!

Get your self some empty Canon carts and practice the German method.
The hole MUCT be position in the correct location and orientation. The needle must be 2" long so it can reach through the sponge compartment and into the liquid compartment, it will take some poking and prodding to locate it.
You must not damage the sponge as you do this.
So Frankly, though I know is works and many swear by it, many also swear at it ( ME ) so rather than create problems for me, I have stuck with the top fill. Have done over 100 refills and resets times 8 carts ( PRO 9000 MKII ) and though some chips have croaked, I've never ever had a problem with ink feed.

Can you imagine not filling your gas / petrol tank in you car from the top???
The gas /petrol cap is...... your PLUG!

The couple of minutes that it will take you to either remove the factory fill sealing ball or drill a separate hole, top off, re plug and place back in the printer should not cause a problem.
Of course, the BEST situation is to have a set of carts. So you can have all 8 ready to go at any time.
Then whenever one color hits empty, replace the WHOLE set with the fresh one. You will develop a LOT less waste ink which occurs after EACH cart installation.
If you do not operate this way, you will always be replacing a cart or two every few print jobs and shorten the life of your Waste Ink Pads!

THE DOMINO EFFECT!

Joe

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Concur 100% with Joe the Toolman's comments.

I think the finesse he refers to using the German method is the required hand/eye co-ordination to get the need in the hole, under the sponge, and then through a small opening into the ink compartment. Again, sounds more difficult that it is to do.

Over time I have gravitated towards top fill for an additional reason. After many refills it is advisable to flush and rinse the cartridges. I have found that this is more easily accomplished on a top fill cartridge. The fill hole makes it easier to flush the old ink away. Takes a heck of a lot more effort to achieve the same flush on a German cartridge.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Roy Sletcher

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Has anyone actually shown the actual advantages of either method? Not just, "My method is easier to do than your method". Are there actually operational advantages of one method over another?

What gets me is the once you have the liquid reservoir side prepped with either the ball removed or a second hole drilled and plugged, your goal is to deposit ink into the chamber which then flows into the sponge side to feed the head.
Unplug, inject and replug, Even with minimal manual dexterity anyone can do it.

With the German method, you are trying to navigate a long needle through a correctly positioned drilled hole on the sponge side, between the sponge and bottom of the cart body, only to end up depositing ink into, you guessed it, the liquid ink reservoir! Same as the top fill method.

Same goal. Now let see which is easier for even an old fart like me.

Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Toolman:

What gets me is the once you have the liquid reservoir side prepped...
Any method you choose requires prep work before refilling. I found removing the ball frustrating. Drilling a top hole instead is much simpler and any of the various proven methods for sealing can be used. YMMV of course.

I have cartridges I drilled a top hole for flushing but I still use the Durchstich method for refilling. Why? Because it is cleaner and faster for me.

The operational advantages of the Durchstich method are no gloves or cartridge clip needed to prevent mess and less risk of leaking cartridge as you do not need to seal the refill hole perfectly to prevent a leak later on.

Your description of the Durchstich method sounds like the a plot from a horror movie. It really isn't that dramatic. :eek: