Refilling Pixma Pro-100 / Beginner

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I find removing the ball super easy. A little screw will pull it right out with zero damage to the perfectly molded smooth walled factory hole. A drilled hole will always suffer form radial grooves on the hole wall. And the cross section of the hole ends up to be very thin. The factory hole has a lot more depth and surface area which makes a guaranteed perfect seal!
I don't need any gloves either. Not a single drop is spilled.
But to each his own.
Just my views from trying just about every method known to man kind.

Joe

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
still may get a pro-100, if so i'd definitely be buying ink from our fellow member Mikling, he has all i'd need.
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42.html
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42cref.html

here's a thread that has pics and a video of refilling with squeeze bottles using the german method i started a few years ago. the video is not the best but will give you a feel for what is involved.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/refilling-using-squeeze-bottles-w-pics-and-video-new.3935/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6MVUEgyjc

i've never top filled, so can only comment on the german method. it has served me well over nearly 7 years, here are some refill numbers since 12/2007:

- first MP830 died after 25,000 pages
- second MP830 now at 44,000 pages, waste pads changed at 37,000
- on third print head

• PGI-5 BLACK 204 refills - on 4th OEM cart
  • CLI-8 BLACK 48 refills - orig OEM cart
  • CLI-8 YELLOW 70 refills - orig OEM cart
  • CLI-8 MAGENTA 76 refills - orig OEM cart
  • CLI-8 CYAN 74 refills - orig OEM cart

Totals Refills 472 carts

pretty amazing savings over nearly 7 years. also have started 2 others refilling to share the savings

much thx to all on this forum, would be interested in other member's refill numbers

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just on the SquEasyFill (bottle, cap, needle, scabbard) approach this little photo story comparison probably demonstrates what it allows you to do best:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/pages/SquEasyFill.html

...and there are FYO (Fill Your Own) sets here that allow you to decant your choice of ink into an empty set.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
martin, great side by side pictures comparing syringes vs squeeze bottles.

FYI, i set my daughter up with a set of martin's SquEasyFill bottles/ink mentioned above, she's been using them for several years with great success. my squeeze bottles pre-dates martin's SquEasyFill product line. back in the day you had to roll your own getting squeeze bottle supplies, the minimum order of the needle scabbards was a package of 100 so i have 90 unused. oh well.

i keep waiting for one of my original CLI8's to act up, will be 7 years of refilling in dec, some over 70 refills, never purged.

says a lot for canon's ink cartridge design and quality, they keep going and going......

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am thinking of this Pro-100 resetter can reset Pro-10 cartridges as well. It was possible with the Pro 9000 CLI-8 resetter to reset PGI-9 chips as well.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am thinking of this Pro-100 resetter can reset Pro-10 cartridges as well. It was possible with the Pro 9000 CLI-8 resetter to reset PGI-9 chips as well.

I would have taught that too but unfortunately the chips for the Pro 100 / 10 are slightly different.
The reason why the earlier resetter was able to do the CLI-8 and PGI-9 was because both sets
of cartridges used the same chips with the exception of the PGI-9 Photo black and Grey.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
my squeeze bottles pre-dates martin's SquEasyFill product line. back in the day you had to roll your own getting squeeze bottle supplies, the minimum order of the needle scabbards was a package of 100 so i have 90 unused. oh well.
Not anymore, jimbo.

Howard Electronics sells needles, caps, bottles, and now the color coded Luer Lock squeeze bottle caps. His package deal for squeeze bottles, needles and caps is a default 0.5 inch needle. Just talked with Howard Electronics and they will not substitute longer needles or sell needles in smaller lots than what is listed on their website due to the extra cost/labor to the company. :hit

But wait!!! I just looked at Precision Colors web site and they sell bulk ink in squeeze bottles ready for a Luer Lock cap which they sell AND they of course have all the needle lengths and guages and caps you could want! Last time I purchased ink I did not see this fantastic option. No more transferring ink to the squeeze bottle! :ya

Now Mikling's Precision Colors is a true one stop shop for anything you need for Canon refilling. And he has the ICC color profiles, something no one else offers that I am aware of to the extent. :bow

So if you are in North America there is little reason to look elsewhere than Precision Colors unless you want a different third party ink. :thumbsup

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I've been using the 2oz bottles with shorty needles to refill all my refillables. Nice not to have to clean 6-10 syringes.
So yes! Highly recommended!

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Wait another couple days and I will have Squezy "system" totally sorted out. 5 lengths and type of needles most useable, Small 2 oz soft bottles ( Bulk 2oz bottles are rugged and hard for shipping) , 2 sizes caps and a method to transfer neatly to small bottles without funnels. Pick and choose your tools.

Busy catching up with shipments today.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mikling does this mean that you now have the new redsetter in stock
and we can freely promote this without causing anyone any problems ? :old