Printer Model
Canon MP610

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
From The Hats comments it looks like refilling is practically un-available on newer models.

But how come there are oceans of compatibles available probably from horrible to good. What have the manufacturers achieved? surely re fillers is a very small part of the market? Yet they do not seem able to stop the compatibles. Or am I missing something here.
On the contrary there are good refillable compatible cartridges available but they come with ARC chips so they do take a little bit of babysitting and @CakeHole dad may not be up to managing chips like these..

http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/PGI550-%2b-CLI551-Refill-Kit-Bundle-[5-x-125ml].html

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
He would likely just turn the printer off when not in use (so half the time it will read as full) and at the point ink runs out refill it.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Thanks @pharmacist found that model very easily it appears to take T130x carts like the lower range XP models rather than T029x and T030x though, is that correct?

Any issues at all using the type of carts octoink sell http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/T1301%2d4-Refillable-Cartridge-Set-[Empty].html such as firmware etc. If so how easy is it to downgrade firmware or prevent the machine updating its firmware?

According to epson.nl: only T129x and T130x cartridges, so it is perfeclty ok to have refillable cartridges with.

http://www.epson.nl/nl/nl/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/consumables/11959

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
He would likely just turn the printer off when not in use (so half the time it will read as full) and at the point ink runs out refill it.
These ARC chips are not a walk in the park to use, and as you know will show the cartridges full every time you turn on your printer, but what happens if you fail to spot the low ink warning say (Being in a hurry) and turn off the printer when finished a print run.

The next time you turn on the printer that low ink warning may well not show up again and you can then run the cartridge dry with ease which results in the usual consequences, loss of the print head.. :(

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You guys say that EPSON is automatically upgrading firmwares on their printers. Funny I have not noticed any upgrades on any of my EPSONs. I always compare the FW numbers and have not noticed any such behaviors. Any even if it has been happening behind my back, I am still seem to be able to fully use all my refillable carts.

Joe

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
These are the same cartridges as in my Epson WF-7525, so you will be fine.

Thanks @pharmacist have put that workforce 3520 on a short list for now, i actually quite like the way it loads paper i think that trays like that would make life easier for my father also. (IE just load one with A4 the other with 6x4 photo paper and that will basically 9/10 times be all he needs).

These ARC chips are not a walk in the park to use, and as you know will show the cartridges full every time you turn on your printer, but what happens if you fail to spot the low ink warning say (Being in a hurry) and turn off the printer when finished a print run.

The next time you turn on the printer that low ink warning may well not show up again and you can then run the cartridge dry with ease which results in the usual consequences, loss of the print head.. :(

Yes i imagine that could be an issue with the Canon model you mentioned with the octoink refill bundle as well as the Epson 3520 pharmacist recommended. He does not print heavily though, most of the time it would only be the odd letter, so if it got to the stage there was no ink he would realise quickly and more than likely before any damage happened to the print head. HOWEVER you do have a point, but do Epsons not use a differing ink delivery method to Canons? I thought (sorry i forget the technical names) Epson basically just pumped ink onto the page where as Canon boiled/heated the ink first which is what causes many Canon print head fails if there is no ink.

To be honest im not sure what path to take im even now looking at older Brother models with non-chipped carts and investigating how easy OEM carts are to refill on them... Like i said this compared to years ago is not a straightforward decision at all :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You guys say that EPSON is automatically upgrading firmwares on their printers. Funny I have not noticed any upgrades on any of my EPSONs. I always compare the FW numbers and have not noticed any such behaviors. Any even if it has been happening behind my back, I am still seem to be able to fully use all my refillable carts.

Joe
Have a look at this post by pharmacist, it explains all.
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/uninstalling-and-reinstalling-epson-3800.9241/#post-73051

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The ability of Epson to introduce this aspect to previously unaffected printers is quite simple depending on whether they had planned to do this before or not. The firmware currently residing inside the printer must be suitable. If a version inside is, then all they would have to do is release an updated to a driver, the unknowing person then updates the driver and voila.

Don't forget that Epson began installing firmware inside that MUST use OEM cartridges initially or else the printer would not work properly. This happened when the Epson R260 was first introduced... I believe circa 2006. This situation is currently on the latest R3000s.

You have to ask yourself, if 7-8 years ago there was a lot of thought into this, wonder about what's inside now and not yet unleashed. Paranoid? if you've been hit before you would be / should be. Always look carefully at the features in updated drivers especially Epson before proceeding the install, especially if you are refilling or doing something to their chips. They are the undisputed leaders in this though HP holds the patent.

When HP announced the feature, the world wondered whether this would be useful for existing printers. The real reason was not clear at the time.