Uninstalling and reinstalling EPSON 3800

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
I know very little about software etc and if the following question is not too brilliant I hope you will not laugh at me!

I read that EPSON is doing all they can to make it difficult in all possible ways, not to use the EPSON OEM inks.
I wonder whether they are doing this too thought updates etc.?
My question is: could it be useful to uninstall the complete Pro 3800 software and then install again, while doing so not connected to internet, using the CD that came with the printer?
I purchased my printer in 2009 (hardly use it). I have an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Is there a method whereby one could make it impossible for EPSON to exert an "influence" on my 3800 software?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Uninstalling your Epson software won’t make any difference at all, it’s not that they upgrade it’s the printer itself.

The simplest way to insure you’re not bother by pesky upgrades is when you go to use your printer (Turned on) you have the internet connection to your computer unplugged or disabled..

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
The Hat: thank you for reply.
So what I understand is that there is nothing I can do about possible modifications EPSON might have placed in my 3800.
Resetting the printer to its new state in 2009 when I started using it, to remove unwanted modifications, will have no "cleaning effect"?
I certainly will disconnect Internet when use my printer!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Dag Harry,

Don't be afraid: it is totally safe to use this printer. Any firmware upgrades are done with a special program and cannot be done in the background, so don't worry. The latest printers (smaller size) ar continously attacked with snipy firmware upgrades in the background (and small letters with a small check to force upgrade). Not with the Epson Pro 38x0 printers. You will be fine. Enjoy printing, don't bother about the technical and software details about the printer itself.