Recommend my father a new Printer

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
So my father is looking for a new printer, i would normally recommend a Canon but (unless i am wrong) all the new models seem to have carts either difficult to refill or reset.

His basic requirements as follows...

NO more than around £100 in terms of price

Cheap non-oem carts available or Originals/OEMs easy to refill and able to refill multiple times (IE no built in print head in the cartridge) or aftermarket refillable emptys which are reliable. INK MUST BE CHEAP in one way or another.

Separate ink tanks for each colour if available at this price.

He does not print anything too flashy, the odd photo, does not need to be able to print the highest quality photos any inkjet could do just something that does a half decent job.

Something that is simple to use, he is not the most technically inclined so the software side of things should be easy to use as should the buttons on the printer (IE no endless menus to scroll through or tiny fiddly buttons).

Anyone any ideas? I was thinking a Brother, carts are cheap and they do big refillables on the aftermarket but i hear mixed reports on the quality of prints both text and photo. Maybe an Epson with a set of aftermarket refill carts with ARC chips, have heard Epson have started to combat those with firmwares and similar though and some refill carts are not reliable, so basically right now im at a loss.

What are HPs like for refilling?

One thing i can say is it MUST be new and not used I KNOW he will NOT touch anything used with his cash.

Any advice as im a bit out of the loop on new models. I have not brought a printer since my long serving and reliable MP610 would be appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK Ian, I reckon you have two choices for your Dad, here goes.

You can get an iP7250 very cheap at Dabs, it’s as good as anything else and it’s new so he should like that because it’s a lovely little printer. (I got one)

He can’t refill and the carts in this model are a bitch to refill anyway, so he can get 3rd party compatible carts very very cheap, use once and dump, that’s about the best that I can think off.

Or he could just let you do all his printing for him, that would be a right pain in the ass for you, but I taught I’d mention it anyway..
Ian.PNG

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Hmm PGI-550 and CLI-551 carts unless i am mistaken. Are all Canons using those now? there seems to be a few models which are.

I wonder if anyone knows what an Epson XP-215 or XP-315 or XP-415 with a set of these carts from Octoink....
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/T1811%2d4-Refillable-Cartridge-Set-[Empty].html
is like?

How do those Epson printers perform and any issue with those refillable carts such as firmware issues, ink flow probs etc? Have read a few threads about some refill Epson carts having firmware issues with the chips. Aftermarket carts seem just as cheap and even originals seem a quid or so cheaper than the CLI-551's for Canon machines.

Cripes this is not as easy a choice as it was 5+ years ago lol

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The problem with Epson is they keep on up grading the printers’ firmware automatically now it’s nearly weekly and if this happens then your refillable cartridges won’t work, its imperative you disable the auto upgrades. :oops:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Eek another possible choice bites the dust then :(

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I suggest an Epson WF-3520 printer: refillable cartridges available (T029x and T030x) and fairly good photo printing quality.
Removable waste ink cartridge too. Can be purchased for about €100.-, so in pounds even better.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I suggest an Epson WF-3240 printer: refillable cartridges available (T029x and T030x) and fairly good photo printing quality.
Removable waste ink cartridge too. Can be purchased for about €100.-, so in pounds even better.

Could you please double check that model number @pharmacist a quick look on amazon and even ebay i could not find a "3240" model.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
From The Hats comments it looks like refilling is practically un-available on newer models.

But how come there are oceans of compatibles available probably from horrible to good. What have the manufacturers achieved? surely re fillers is a very small part of the market? Yet they do not seem able to stop the compatibles. Or am I missing something here.