Recommend my father a new Printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Im back considering Brother printers again now :gig Although that is not even as easy as it once was, they seem to chip models now except the bottom end and it appears neigh on impossible to find chip resetters in the UK, even the refill carts seem to be a rare beast though findable unlike the resetter.
:mad: so frustrating as to knowing what to do so far everything seems to have a compromise in some form.
An older Brother printer without chips would be an option but there are usually big AIO’s plus there print quality is nowhere near top quality not even for text. :(

If you want to get even more frustrated then have a look at the HP and Lexmark range of printers and I don’t even know if there are any Kodak printers still around, my moneys is on you settling for a Canon printer ! :)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Brother are using piezo print heads, just like Epson and are CISS based (tubing).....If not used for a long time, a lot cleaning is needed to prime the print head (to drive out air from the tubing system and the printhead). I think worse compared to Epson. I still recommend the Epson WF-3520: refillable cartridges available and removable waste ink tank.

I must admit i do like the idea of the easy to remove and renew waste ink tank on the Epson, long term it saves having to dismantle the printer for all the ink slurping Epsons often do. Im also assuming although octoink do not have a specifc printer potty model i could see for the 3520 one would be easy to fit if you wanted. The concern though is despite all that there does not appear to be a waste ink reset utility for that model. Which would defeat the purpose of easy waste ink replacement if you can not reset the printer.

I like the Paper trays also, would be good for my father being able to have a tray and fill and forget and also have indications on where to place different sized paper rather than mess about with a top feed slider. The firmware thing is also a concern though, knowing at any time it could in theory render a set of refill carts useless is a bit un-nerving.

Still positives and negatives :( darn i wish this was easier.

An older Brother printer without chips would be an option but there are usually big AIO’s plus there print quality is nowhere near top quality not even for text. :(

If you want to get even more frustrated then have a look at the HP and Lexmark range of printers and I don’t even know if there are any Kodak printers still around, my moneys is on you settling for a Canon printer ! :)

Yeah that is the real flaw i see with the bottom end of Brothers, quality. Some say its perfectly adequate where as others say it is vastly inferior, if i continue to consider a brother i may have to find a brick and mortar store that sells printers and has physical demos or at the least printed out test sheets to compare it to Epson, Canon etc.

HP and Lexmark i have not even considered, original carts are often some of the more expensive, AFAIK you can not reset chips and im pretty sure they also both have some date thing built in meaning a cart past its use by date will not work. Sounds like even more hassle and issues so not even bothered looking at them.

Ive even now started looking at colour laser printers and checking aftermarket toner prices for varying models. LOL, almost wish i had not started its a metaphorical rabbit hole ive entered.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Ive eliminated the ip7250 now, dunno why i did not notice before :idunnobut it has no scanner which is a no-no, i know the old man likes to scan paper bills, statements etc, and then saves them on a thumbdrive as he pays them see he still has a record should some company claim he owes money etc.

@The Hat do you know if the cli-551 refill carts you mentioned earlier... http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/recommend-my-father-a-new-printer.9239/page-2#post-73015 will work in any Canon model that takes PGI-550/CLI-551 carts??? There are a couple of MG series Canons that take that model, but im weary that the chips on those refill carts may only be compatible with certain canon models or other issues. Examples being later MG models require low profile plug and the plugs on those look pretty meaty, also potential chip issues on them not recognising later Canon models maybe?

:rantthe more i look the more undecided i become :gig

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat do you know if the cli-551 refill carts you mentioned earlier... http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/recommend-my-father-a-new-printer.9239/page-2#post-73015 will work in any Canon model that takes PGI-550/CLI-551 carts??? There are a couple of MG series Canons that take that model, but im weary that the chips on those refill carts may only be compatible with certain canon models or other issues. Examples being later MG models require low profile plug and the plugs on those look pretty meaty, also potential chip issues on them not recognising later Canon models maybe?
Google is your friend. A search on "cli-551" yielded a number of web sites that sell this cartridge model and they list the compatible printers.

It appears 10 different printer models if this web site is to be believed: http://www.7dayshop.com/products/canon-original-cli-551-extra-value-4-colour-multipack-CACLI551MULTI

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
These ARC chips are not a walk in the park to use, and as you know will show the cartridges full every time you turn on your printer, but what happens if you fail to spot the low ink warning say (Being in a hurry) and turn off the printer when finished a print run.

The next time you turn on the printer that low ink warning may well not show up again and you can then run the cartridge dry with ease which results in the usual consequences, loss of the print head.. :(
Loss of print head on an Epson is not as risky running a piezo head (Epson style) dry. BUT, getting rid of the resulting air in a piezo print head can be a real pain...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Cakehole: again the Epson WF-3520 :thumbsup.

There is dutch saying: Because there are too many trees, you seemingly can't see the forrest.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Google is your friend. A search on "cli-551" yielded a number of web sites that sell this cartridge model and they list the compatible printers.

It appears 10 different printer models if this web site is to be believed: http://www.7dayshop.com/products/canon-original-cli-551-extra-value-4-colour-multipack-CACLI551MULTI

Yep i know what model of cart it is LOL, @The Hat pointed out earlier in the thread the ip7250 has a refillable cart option...
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/PGI550-%2b-CLI551-Refill-Kit-Bundle-[5-x-125ml].html

My question is will those refill carts work in other models of Canon such as the MG6450 that normally take CLI-551/PGI-550 also, because the rubber refill bung/plug is quite broad on those refill carts so may cause clearance issues on other models of Canon. Also it being an ARC chip could have the potential for issues with other models.

Loss of print head on an Epson is not as risky running a piezo head (Epson style) dry. BUT, getting rid of the resulting air in a piezo print head can be a real pain...

Yep i know from experience of an old Epson what a mare they can be if you have ink flow or blockage issues. Its one of the many negatives in looking at the Epson option, yes ive almost started a positive and negative list for each model im thinking of now lol

Cakehole: again the Epson WF-3520 :thumbsup.

There is dutch saying: Because there are too may trees, you seemingly can't see the forrest.

Its still on the short list :) Just got to decide if the positives for him outweigh the negatives.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
My question is will those refill carts work in other models of Canon such as the MG6450 that normally take CLI-551/PGI-550 also, because the rubber refill bung/plug is quite broad on those refill carts so may cause clearance issues on other models of Canon. Also it being an ARC chip could have the potential for issues with other models

As far as I know, and that maybe not that much. These refillable cartridges will work across the other model printers too, but if your uncertain and want a second opinion then Email Martin for clarification:- support@octoinkjet.co.uk

P.S. He's on holidays till the 28th but Kirsty should be able to give you an answer.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
As far as I know, and that maybe not that much. These refillable cartridges will work across the other model printers too, but if your uncertain and want a second opinion then Email Martin for clarification:- support@octoinkjet.co.uk

P.S. He's on holidays till the 28th but Kirsty should be able to give you an answer.

Ultimately that is probably what i will do to sort out that conundrum ill leave him alone for now we all deserve a holiday, and the great service Martin provides he more than deserves a break. I was just curious if you knew as obviously you have had more than just the odd printer ;) If they are fine in models like the MG6450 and other MG xx50 ranges then im good as sold on one of them, simple button and screen layout, simple refilling with those carts cheap aftermarkets if he gets tired of refilling and good quality prints which will suit dad fine.

Latest posts