Recommend my father a new Printer

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
For occasional use, Canon is the logical choice. The basic ink delivery system that Epson uses is derived from industrial applications. Epson Piezo heads are more durable ( in the past) than thermal heads BUT they are well suited for continuous use. Thermal heads are much much better suited for occasional spotty use. They will clog less and waste a lot less ink than a piezo in these applications. Furthermore, if the user prints the occasional page, running out of ink will not be a problem with the Canon... a quick refill and they are running again. Once the Epson runs out of ink, the user might be in for some onerous chores of multiple head cleanings.
For light and occasional use, Canon is it, based purely on technical foundations and not fanaticism.

Reason for ( in the past) is that Piezo nozzle densities have increased as well as displacement capacity per nozzle. More nozzles in the same space being asked to do more. You will soon notice that printhead durability is not like the old days anymore. Similarly look for printhead delamination which was hardly heard of ten years ago. And at some point Epson has completely removed their once lifetime printhead guarantee which was there as late as 10 years ago. Thermal heads are on the upside these days, having better electronic deposition processes as compared to 10 years ago and better designs for durability and performance. I suspect that the lines are now intersecting between piezo and thermal but more importantly, the basic premise is occasional use and for that, Thermal heads are undisputed.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Oh crikey i really do not know what to recommend him now. The Epson 3520 @pharmacist recommended i do not think will have firmware issues... Im GUESSING (and only guessing) looking at http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/support/11959 it is the stuff which is listed under "WEB INSTALLER" from reading its descriptions the printer uses to check web for updates which would update the firmware, id just make sure that was not installed for him. He is unlikely to use the internet print features anyway so i could probably set it up with no web access (he does not have an android or iphone hes still got an old nokia lol so unlikely to use that feature).

On the other hand @mikling i agree with and know from experience is right. My Canon MP610 i can leave powered off entirely for a month, plug it in and after a bit of whirling it will print out a picture or text with no issues, no head cleans etc are needed. A Epson C42 i owned well before that though was a mare if you did not use it regularly, requiring head cleaning if not in regular use, i suspect things on Epsons have improved some what since then but if its still the basic same print head tech just updated i suppose the odd issue can still occur.

Darn it, looks like this is one of the times you ask for advice, get a load of it which is all valid and sensible and then it confuses the person asking even more :barnie:hu:lol:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Simple, try teaching someone not interested at all about priming the Epson refillable cartridge and priming etc.. Next try teaching that same person about refilling a sponge based compatible that you simply put ink into. Guess which one will be absorbed into the brain in less than 5 minutes. You can now make your decision.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Simple, try teaching someone not interested at all about priming the Epson refillable cartridge and priming etc.. Next try teaching that same person about refilling a sponge based compatible that you simply put ink into. Guess which one will be absorbed into the brain in less than 5 minutes. You can now make your decision.

Ironically the manual process he would probably be fine with, its technology more than anything he is likely to have issues with. Something like filling a cart i could show him and as its an old school use and get your hands dirty type of thing he will likely digest the instruction fine. He would not care about the ins and outs as to why, just how. Show him a bunch of computer menus though and that is where a bout of brain wind happens. Anything where you have to use your hands (old school) he is fine at, probably could assemble a bit of flat pack furniture way faster than me and most of us, especially if the instructions are all in modern day Chi-eng-lish. He is you typical older person, fine with manual stuff not so much button pressing ;)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I suppose the term "older" depends how you view the word. Im 39 this year, My father is in his mid 60s. I could had said elderly but did not want to offend anyone.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Older?

@The Hat knew Gutenberg before he got famous for his new fangled printer. :old

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Im back considering Brother printers again now :gig Although that is not even as easy as it once was, they seem to chip models now except the bottom end and it appears neigh on impossible to find chip resetters in the UK, even the refill carts seem to be a rare beast though findable unlike the resetter.

:mad: so frustrating as to knowing what to do so far everything seems to have a compromise in some form.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Brother are using piezo print heads, just like Epson and are CISS based (tubing).....If not used for a long time, a lot cleaning is needed to prime the print head (to drive out air from the tubing system and the printhead). I think worse compared to Epson. I still recommend the Epson WF-3520: refillable cartridges available and removable waste ink tank.