New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I really hope they crack the chips on these soon so resetters and generic carts are available. Anybody heard anything other than "they're working on it?"

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try refilling the cartridge before the low ink warning appears and you will get a lot of extra mileage out of the cartridge before the need to replace it..

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I for one am hoping that someone cracks the chips on these printers. Although I wont. Need to buy any new printers for a long time since I capitalized heavily when Canon liquidated all of the Cli-221 series printers.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
i am also guilty over-buying during the pgi-220/cli-221 liquidation, ie:
- MX860's for $54
- MP980's for $36

also the earlier pgi5/cli8 based MX700's for $59

Q: re spare printers - how many is too many ??

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Lol... I'm up to a few now. I guess you can never have too many?!?

Printers out of box:
1 - iP4600
2 - iP4700
2 - MX860
1 - Pro9000
1 - iP6000D (newest addition to the family :) )

Printer still in box:
2 - iP4700 $40 each
4 - MP980 $39 each
1 - MX860 $50
1 - MP560 $50

I suppose that this printer thing is a sickness. :p My wife seems to think so!!! "Why do we need so many printers?!?!"

P.S. That's 15 Canon printers. :) :) :)
Not to mention the few HPs I have laying around... (I like to use my C7280 for the "grunt" work...)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Are you selling printers or just being cheeky giving nice prices? :p

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stratman said:
Are you selling printers or just being cheeky giving nice prices? :p
I think he's torturing those of us whose wives/partners/etc... have put their foot down and banned any further printer hoarding ;)

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
OK my turn, and yes it is an addiction.....

Printers out of box, actively using:
- MP830

Spare printers, still in box, hidden in attic over garage, prices paid, mostly refurbished, some new:
- 1 MP830 ($89)
- 1 IP4500 ($75)
- 2 MX700s ($59)
- 4 MX860s ($54)
- 5 MP980s ($36) - was going to part out and resell, not sure now....
- 2 MX860s ($54) - planned Christmas gifts

my delivery guys knows to put any delivered printers tucked away on the side of house, so to help me avoid the "why do we need more printers" comments......

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
RMM said:
Lol... I'm up to a few now. I guess you can never have too many?!?

Printers out of box:
1 - iP4600
2 - iP4700
2 - MX860
1 - Pro9000
1 - iP6000D (newest addition to the family :) )

Printer still in box:
2 - iP4700 $40 each
4 - MP980 $39 each
1 - MX860 $50
1 - MP560 $50

I suppose that this printer thing is a sickness. :p My wife seems to think so!!! "Why do we need so many printers?!?!"

P.S. That's 15 Canon printers. :) :) :)
Not to mention the few HPs I have laying around... (I like to use my C7280 for the "grunt" work...)
Well, if you're going to collect something, printers are as good as anything!

You must have a room just for your collection. There is no way one could "hide" this obsession. :D

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Yes, I have a small area dedicated to printers still in the box. I bought my first Canon printer last March. Before that I had been refilling HPs since about 2003. Both the single black/tri-color type with the built in printhead and the HP 02 type cartridges.

I always had good success refilling the HP cartridges with the built in printheads. I learned quickly that the key was to never let them run dry. I have one HP 56 cartridge that I have been refilling since 2005 with over 20 refills. I have used 2/3rds of a gallon of black pigment ink in these printers.

My father was getting into printing large full color brochures for his company. A printer was needed that could handle the heavier color output and that could produce higher quality prints. That's when I bought the first HP C7280 for $200 (HP 02 cartridges). I bought a pint of each color from the same company that I had bought the HP Pigment black from earlier, thinking that it would also be of good quality. I experienced many clogs and problems with this printer and ink. After about 6 months it was completely clogged and no longer printed black or blue. I bought another C7280 ($200!!!), a new set of cartridges, and proceeded to also clog this printer in about 4 months. I was frustrated at this point.

Even though I had been refilling for some time, I had no idea that such a great resource as these forums existed. I went online looking for a good printer to refill, and luckily I stumbled upon this site. Without a resource like this it is nearly impossible to know what printers are good and more importantly WHERE TO FIND QUALITY INK. eBay and the general internet make this VERY DIFFICULT. Before visiting this site I had not ever even considered buying a Canon inkjet printer. I bought my first two iP4700s, Hobbicolors Ink, and a chip resetter. I was amazed at the quality that I could obtain with a $50 printer. The photo and text quality were better than any of my previous HPs, although the C7280s are faster.

I continued to read all of the current threads and archived threads as time permitted. I became fascinated with all of the informational available here. For example; I had no idea that Windex was an ideal solution for cleaning and unclogging inkjet printers. I had always used straight isopropyl alcohol, with very poor results. All of the principles learned on this forum are simple once you learn them but are not common knowledge elsewhere.

I ended up "resurrecting" the two C7280s which I had relegated to the basement junk heap. All it took was a little understanding, a lot of Windex, and a lot of patience! I now use them fairly heavily almost every day for bulk disposable projects and faxes.

When the CLI-221 series printers were being liquidated ($39-$49 each with free shipping) I stocked up on them. I figured that it was a good investment and should insure that my family, friends and myself can continue to print at a reasonable cost for a while yet.

This post ended up being a bit more of a history than I intended it to be. I am grateful for all of the experience and knowledge that is so freely shared on this forum. Thank you all!