New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
To counter us refillers and those using aftermarket cartridges. Canon will introduce a replacement for the known CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520.

-new features:

-changed chip design making the cartridges non resettable by the current resetters
-completely black housing, so even you refill and disable the chip it is visibly impossible to check ink level
-these cartridges will gradually replace the older versions
-they will be called in the USA: PGI-225 (pigment black) and CLI-226 (dye colours) and in the EU: PGI-525 and CLI-526

This is the link: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artike...art_chip_patronen_fuer_kommende_tintendrucker

According to this link this is the history for the pages/cartridges for the pigment black based on the ISO-test document (covering exact 5 %):

-non chipped BCI-3eBK: 537
-chipped PGI-5Bk: 421
-chipped PGI-220/520: 291

At the time of introduction all these carts cost about the same and prices have risen accordingly with each introduction with the "new" printers.
So safe your old Canon printers, they will become more and more precious !!!

With the latest cartridges it is very difficult to see how much ink goes ink to refill these cartridges, even with the german durchstich refill method.

My goodness :(:(:(

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
This is why after much regret I ordered an epson artisan 50 and a ciss kit.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the bad news. My loyalty for Canon has evaporated. Except for color documents where absolutely required I think I shall be using a laser printer in the future, like the little OKIs, or Brothers. I still have an IP6600D NIB, so there is a little comfort.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
ouch !!! - not good news

here are translated pages and a pic of the new opaque PGI cartridge

http://translate.google.com/transla...mmende_tintendrucker&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

http://translate.google.com/transla...irefox-a&hs=5bf&rlz=1R1GGLL_en___US381&prmd=b

2709_new_cart_medium.jpg

not good news here

can see it impacting the market for new/used "refillable" canon printers, might be time to stock up

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ok... hold on a second... This is not the end of the world it just makes things a tad trickier... The German method may be dead in the water or it may be not, it'll depend largely on how the internal layout of the cartridge has changed (or hasn't).

There is still the original drill, fill, drip, seal method to be used unless they've really gone to town on the design...

However it is obvious that Canon are now thoroughly entrenched in a war against refilling and unless people stop buying their product they will simply keep on doing it.

Eventually someone in the EU and USA trade bodies is going to have to recognise that there are monopolistic practices going on here, especially given the relationships being developed between Epson and Canon in Japan, HP and Canon buying/selling printer designs, etc...

... but don't hold your breath... It keeps us on our toes if nothing else... :)

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
better yet........ a tutu, ballet shoes while carrying some SquEasy fill bottles, quite an image there

here's a not so elegant solution
1. first draw out any remaining ink from opaque ink chamber
2. then refill to new cart's capacity, PGI-(19ml) CLI-(9ml)

a brute force solution:
1. just blindly refill until it starts to leak
2. clean up and go

both should work, but in either case expect a mess

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
HP920 cartridges are similar, I refill these using German method until ink is just about to drip out the exit port, then suck some back into syringe, remove and let sit for 1/2 hour on news paper just to be sure everything is ok.....works ok for me, clients are happy : )

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Tigerwan,

The older HP 364 XL cartridges have a very small but significant window below the ink chamber, so when you refill using the german durchstich refill method and with this window facing up it is very easy to see when the ink has reached the top of the cartridge and will tell you visibly to stop with injecting with ink. Is this window still there with the latest HP 920 XL cartridges ?

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It is with the colours, but not the black cartridge, no window, so this is what I was referring to, but neglected to specify "black".