New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What I don't get is why, if you're going to get rid of the window to visually check the cartridge, keep the hollow chamber? Wouldn't it make for a more reliable cartridge just to simply make the whole cartridge sponge area? This would greatly simplify cartridge construction. I mean we all know the optical "sensor" system Canon has is a joke considering the chip monitors ink level so why even keep the ink chamber? Most of the space is taken up by sponge, it wouldn't hurt to make it all sponge. HP does it on practically all there all in one black and tri-colors.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
imo the best way to fill and check the level, once the monitor says the ink is low, use the top fill method and use a wooden toothpick as a dip stick, but that is if you want to use the top fill and you have to make sure the cartridges plugs or screws will not interfer with the printer case on the newer models (MP560 MP620)as they travel back and forth

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
again not elegant, but this might work:

1. first draw out any remaining ink from opaque ink chamber
2. then refill to new cart's capacity, PGI-(19ml) CLI-(9ml)

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Looking at the pictures by DruckerChannel the optical sensor still seems to be in use in those new cartridges.
So the sensor does plays a big part in the cartridge design, if it didnt why would they include it.
There may be more ways to skin a cat yet.
The more everyone examines this new design the better chance we have of getting round it, I like the one that mrelmo mentioned (The dip stick).. :)

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Even with the translucent carts, I have no easy time seeing when the tip of the needle is in the reservoir, so a piece of white tape around the needle indicates that it has traveled far enough, helps me out.
This combined with a kitchen scale might be enough to keep using the German method instead of drilling holes in the top of the cart, when, God forbid, I have to start using the new carts.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
For what it's worth I figure on a few things happening..

1. Canon will eventually put a small but significant plastic tab in the expected path of any German refill needle making that defunct.

2. Top filling will become the norm' and to be honest it's not too hard, I've already sourced some plugs that are less than 1mm proud of the cartridge top although it remains to be seen if they'll fit the fill hole on these new carts.

3. The idea Jackson suggested is still a good one but the problem with the German method is that you still need a rough idea of how much ink is in there to avoid overfilling..

4. The resetter manufacturers/sellers get pointed legal "suggestions" regarding patents, IP, etc... that indicate that cease and desist would be a good idea.

4b. I'd see this being more likely really but I can see Canon going after the 3rd party cartridge folks first... In the USA via the Federal Trade Commission or whoever it is that Epson and HP have been using to great effect recently..

Anyway, returning to refilling in general, I suspect whatever happens, the default "it's full" indicator will be when ink starts dripping out of the exit port, or if top filling, the old "let it drip until it equalises" approach will hold sway.

It's a pain but not an end game... Not yet at least..

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I was just writing up a response for 'viewing' the ink level in the 3880 refill carts when I bumped into this update by websnail (Ron)?
Yes, it appears that we will be forced (but not defeated) to return to top filling or viewing. Previously, I had suggested the old car battery fluid level viewer--a plastic rod with a beveled end mounted into the plugcap. If the fluid level fell below the beveled end light was reflected to viewer--if the fluid level was OK, no reflection. This would work well with Canon BCI-6, CLI-8 and other similar carts as well as the larger 3800/3880 carts when they go totally black. However all we would know is that the ink level is at or below the chosen level limit. Let's now take advantage of another law of physics--capillary action. Opening the top of cart in use, I insert a piece of glass tubing til it hits the bottom of the cart--now place your finger over the top of the glass tube and raise the tube out. With calibrated eyeballs measure the fluid height in the tube, now using your teflon greased 'sliderule' compute the quantity of ink required to fill the cart and sponge properly. You will, most probably, wait for the first burst of ink to be absorbed in the foam before finishing the refill.

If you have reasonable manual dexterity and sufficient toweling, just leave the glass tube in the cart after determining how empty (or full) it is. Add ink to cart, recheck the ink level in the tube and repeat until the cart is filled to your satisfaction.
Should this direct path be blocked off, as per the maze construction in certain Epson carts, then weighing is our final resort. The least expensive simple scale is just a spring from which the cart is hung and a ruler. Weigh several new full carts, average the measurements and you are good to go--as long as the cart is not totally invisible this technique is foolproof.
If springs don't move you then a cantilever beam should make your day. Mount a thin, long strip of plastic or metal to a small block of something and construct a holder for the cart on the other end. Again weigh several full carts and average the measured drops in height. Mount your empty cart, add ink until the 'drop height' is equaled and you are done once again. Please note: this technique will not work in outer space! Oops! I'm wrong. If you deflect the spring or beam and release; a measurement of it's vibration frequency will yield the weight.

With all punditry intended I think the weight of this problem has been defeated! irv weiner

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
irvweiner

After reading your thread I can safely say Canon cant, and wont defeat the refiller.
Irv youre like a breath of fresh air when it comes to ideas, any one of those will work but scaled down a bit to fit in the average house.
The spring and ruler one is a real beautie..:lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm with TH on this... Always good to get some out of the box (or is that cartridge?) thinking and a reminder that the stuff we learned at school, etc... does actually have some use.

Thanks irvweiner *thumbsup*