New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
stratman said:
FryingSaucer said:
But my Magenta and Yellow Canon original cartridges are leaking slightly, and I really need to replace them.
What refilling method are you using with these leaking cartridges? Have not heard of a leaking cartridge that could not be corrected... unless there was a major malfunction of the integrity of the cartridge.
The German method. But when I started refilling, I drilled a whole in the wrong end of the Magenta cartridge, and have covered it up with tape. However, there was a problem with Magenta nozzles being clogged up before I started refilling, so I'm not sure about the cartridge and would like to replace it - but not if the new one I buy will be opaque.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
FryingSaucer said:
The German method. But when I started refilling, I drilled a whole in the wrong end of the Magenta cartridge, and have covered it up with tape. However, there was a problem with Magenta nozzles being clogged up before I started refilling, so I'm not sure about the cartridge and would like to replace it - but not if the new one I buy will be opaque.
I can see why you might want to purchase new cartridges, especially for the peace of mind they will bring. I do not know about all 521 cartridges, but since you are looking for a European source, you might want to email/PM forum member websnail who owns and runs Octoinkjet web site which sells empty 521 cartridges .

Tape is a bad idea if you are counting on an air-tight seal. I have sealed holes with hot glue gun and Mikling's (Precision colors) silicone plugs with near perfect, long-term results. The one cartridge that leaked had a bad seal on a hot glue plug. A new application of hot glue and no more leak since. None of my plugged cartridges leak. Also, you might want to flush the cartridges before applying new hot glue or a silicone plug (which websnail also sells IIRC), since a stiff or clotted sponge may create flow issues too. Best to flush and then seal if you want to still use these cartridges to optimize their performance.

Just something for you to consider.

Hectorg

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When HP's original Deskjet 500 came out, it was great. Quiet, great text, reliable and refillable. The cartridges were about $15 and completely opaque. Users around the world tried many brands of ink, and two were found to be consistently reliable. One was German and the other Parker Quink, commonly available for filling fountain pens and using with nib pens: (this was a few decades ago. :) ). The ink was about $2.50 a bottle, and would fill five cartridges. Needles were not readily available, but a nurse gave me one. The fact that the cartridge was black was never a problem--we always filled by so many cc's. Like some other posters, if Canon follows through with this I'll never buy a new one from them. If there is a D.I. -- Deseret Industries -- store near you, check it out. In the past four weeks, I have purchased two 1600D's , one $15 and one $20. One had a set of almost full Canon cartridges. And a Pixma id3000 for $15. I don't look at the HP's, which are the most numerable printers there; I glance at the Epson's, but haven't seen a photo quality one. I use a laser printer for almost all my black printing, but don't hesitate to use the ink jets, too, because it's so inexpensive to have reliable refills now. I've only started using ink jets again fairly recently and am fascinated by all the useful information to be found on this site. I hope that I'll be able to contribute to the site as I continue to learn. By the way, if you don't have access to a D.I., try the Salvation Army or similar store. I presume that many printers are given there, too.

Geklingel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Geklingel Great idea I have usual domestic digital scale. This seems accurate enough, any parcels I send match exactly the ones at the Post Office. 1 further suggestion when you put your first batch of ink in your chosen container you do so 2ml at a time and using a cocktail or similar stick make yourself a dipstick of each colour at each 2ml increment.

Then when you come to refill you can either weigh as per your original post or with your dipstick check if any ink remains and only top up the difference.

To start with it may pay to only fill to 75/80% as suggested by The Hat . If no leaks occur you can then increase next time around. The only drawback I can see is that you are taking ink out of container putting it into another small container, then sucking it up with your syringe its exposed to the air for a while and a possible disaster with spilling it or knocking it over, which with my bifocals plus strong prisms could well happen.

Nevertheless it is an accurate way to determine the amount of ink required

barfl2:)

Geklingel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just going thru old posts and came to this one.
Here is an even simpler method. As before, weigh the cartridge when full and again when empty (in grams) and calculate the difference . 1cc of water weighs .997 grams so just fill your syringe with 1cc of ink for every gram of the difference. Piece of cake!!

I use 4 ounce bottles when refilling cartridges. Those little bottles can tip over quite easily and if you happen to knock one over, and you're not in the garage,there WILL BE hell to pay.
I made a stand to hold the bottle All you need is a round container with low walls.(I used a 8 ounce Philadelphia Creamcheese container) Go to your local home improvement store and get a container of plumbers putty, place a small layer of putty in the bottom of the container.place an ink bottle in the center of the container and then mold putty around the bottle to about 2/3 full. Optionally, Wet some tissues or paper towels strips and pack them to fill the rest of the container to catch any "accidents" you may have.This also helps to keep ink from getting on the putty.

Nevertheless it is an accurate way to determine the amount of ink required

@barfl2:)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I cut a hole (smaller than the bottle OD) in a large,thick foam pad and insert the "bottle to be filled" into the hole to secure it before refilling the bottle. No possibility of tipping over during ink handling...

That said you still must be careful handling bulk ink!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Just in case everybody has forgotten about SquEasy bottles, they don’t spill if knocked over by mistake...

5128_remove_air.png

Latest posts