stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
inkjago said:
stratman said:
It's always the FNGs who bump in the forum.

Waste of time.
Really?
Yes, according to a forum search on the word "bump".

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Guys, they're making great digital scales now (0.01 g), and I've had excellent success measuring how much ink is left.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7169
I don't know if you all missed that thread or just don't care. I guess if you can reset your chips, it may not be as important to you. Either way is good, but consider this a shameless plug. If you do try this, I'm interested in what experience you've had.

The good point is you don't have to open the cartridge to measure the ink left. Of course if you have to open it anyway, you can't beat the dipstick for ease of use.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla said:
Guys, they're making great digital scales now (0.01 g), and I've had excellent success measuring how much ink is left.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7169
I don't know if you all missed that thread or just don't care. I guess if you can reset your chips, it may not be as important to you. Either way is good, but consider this a shameless plug. If you do try this, I'm interested in what experience you've had.

The good point is you don't have to open the cartridge to measure the ink left. Of course if you have to open it anyway, you can't beat the dipstick for ease of use.
You forgot to mention that a set of cartridges dont actually weight all the same.. :ep

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Well I actually refilled a set of thes cartridges and it was pretty simple. I could notice the level of the ink when the prism is facing upwards. You should however use a strong torch to shine on the prism to see the ink gradually emerging towards the top.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat said:
You forgot to mention that a set of cartridges dont actually weight all the same.
You should weigh them when they're new and keep records. I didn't actually do that, but they do all seem to be pretty close when they're empty, though.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
tigerwan said:
(#37 on this thread) MrElmo is correct, there is a window on the side, and you can see via bottom as well, BUT.......Canon has added another brick wall to try and make refilling harder, the newest 221 and 220s on the shelves of Staples, and Walmart, are solid colour. They have taken the window out, now I haven't seen the newer cartridges, but I have heard others mention this on another forum, and yes it is the 220/221 I am referring to, not the 225/226.
I cannot fix my iP4600 and am considering buying an iP3600 using my existing CLI-521 cartridges and resetter for refilling. But my Magenta and Yellow Canon original cartridges are leaking slightly, and I really need to replace them. If I buy new Canon CLI-521 cartridges (European) are they now opaque?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
FryingSaucer said:
But my Magenta and Yellow Canon original cartridges are leaking slightly, and I really need to replace them.
What refilling method are you using with these leaking cartridges? Have not heard of a leaking cartridge that could not be corrected... unless there was a major malfunction of the integrity of the cartridge.