New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
It shouldn't be long before someone develops the "German window installation method" where you use a Dremel tool to cut out a section of the side wall and install a clear plastic window. Just wait, it'll come.

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
From the look of these new carts, I'd say the German method is dead in the water. Without the visuals to see where the needle goes or how full the tank gets during ink injection, the German method creates a big risk of overfill, sponge damage, misaligned needle insertion, etc.

Looks like the most promising long-term solution to Canon refiling lies solely in the top-fill methods. Go figure.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
azuchrome said:
From the look of these new carts, I'd say the German method is dead in the water. Without the visuals to see where the needle goes or how full the tank gets during ink injection, the German method creates a big risk of overfill, sponge damage, misaligned needle insertion, etc.
Once someone cracks open one of these new cartridges then we will know the internal arrangements and volumes. If there is essentially no alteration to the two comparments, especially retaining a space between the two sides for the needle to slip through AND no barriers to inserting the refill needle where it needs to go, then one will know, for instance, they are in the correct "spot" based on needle length remaining outside the cartridge amongst other visual clues.

As to amount of ink to refill, that is a little trickier if there is no chip resetter available. If a resetter is available, then when the cartridge is declared empty by the printer a similar amount of ink remains in the sponge. One can extrapolate how much ink may be refilled based on the already known amounts of ink in a factory OEM new cartridge. Someone will post the capacity of each sides, you will refill the spongeless side first with an approximate quantity of ink followed with another aliquot of ink to top it off. A fudge factor to "short" the amount of ink per refill may be used to safeguard from overfilling. Otherwise, let the cartridge drip ink from the ink exit port until equillibration occurs.

More a pain in the ass but the Durchstich Method is still workable. I would also expect sales of aftermarket cartridges to increase.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Stratman: Once someone cracks open one of these new cartridges then we will know................???????

Outside of the creation of a new resetter for this egregious cart I believe we will find the interior structure unchanged thus the present drilling technique remains the same. If not, filling from the top will return, but we will not be blind. For those who can remember the last century and various automobile batteries---an optical genius of sorts took advantage of Snell's law and modified the water filler plug. Added was a plastic rod of proper length, the end of which was cut at angle (45 deg ?). The angled end of this new plug was submerged when the fill level was proper--if the level was below the angled end the ambient light reflected from the angled surface. When the level was proper ambient light passed thru the plastic/fluid interface and no reflection occurred--you saw 'darkness'!

If such an 1/8 plastic rod be fabbed by hand and placed into the top of the cart we can see again! Some drilling and care reqd but the challenge is met. I leave it to the 'german' refillers to insert the plastic rod on the cart bottom so that the same 'visual' effect is observed.

OK, Inkjet Masters, start 'cracking'!!

good luck irv weiner

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
irvweiner said:
... an optical genius of sorts took advantage of Snell's law and modified the water filler plug. Added was a plastic rod of proper length, the end of which was cut at angle (45 deg ?). The angled end of this new plug was submerged when the fill level was proper--if the level was below the angled end the ambient light reflected from the angled surface. When the level was proper ambient light passed thru the plastic/fluid interface and no reflection occurred--you saw 'darkness'!

If such an 1/8 plastic rod be fabbed by hand and placed into the top of the cart we can see again! Some drilling and care reqd but the challenge is met. I leave it to the 'german' refillers to insert the plastic rod on the cart bottom so that the same 'visual' effect is observed.
Well, how cool is that! Physics is FUNdamental, folks!

Thanks Irv for the insight and the potential workaround.

inkhunter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon printers with these new cartridges are released in stores

Any news about chip resseter?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
As far as I know there are no resetters available yet for the new chips. These would not be good to run without the ink monitoring working because you cannot see inside the ink reservoir. I'm guessing that some aftermarket cartridges will remedy the situation soon enough.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I checked with the REdSETTER folk and they've said to expect a significant delay before anything capable of resetting the new chips is available.

Canon have naturally created new chips, new encryption, etc... so it's going to take time for anyone to come up with a solution.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon is testing the market with these cartridges that make it more and more difficult to reset and refill. If the consumers buy them Canon wins and we lose. But if people stay away from them Canon lose and they will see their market share drop. I definitely will never buy a Canon printer with these cartridges.

TXAvi8tor

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
9000 II (x2), Pro 100, IP4500
One year ago I owned a non-working Canon i9900 and an Epson R2400. Today, the Epson is long-gone, and I'm equipped with a 9000 Pro MkII, an IP4200 and TWO working i9900's.

The 9000 was purchased for $220 NIB from one of the many Canon camera buyers who got it as a promo / rebate and didn't want it. The practically new 4200 cost me $20 (with nearly full OEM carts) from Craigslist. Thanks to information from here and elsewhere on the web, I was able to fix my original i9900 via a reset - it works perfectly. The second i9900, at $40, and lightly used, also came from CL with all OEM cartridges (plus a couple of factory-sealed new ones).

I create color prints up to 13x19 inches with the 9000 Pro, oversize maps and charts with one i9900, black and white photographic prints through 13x19 with the second and CD's and mixed color / B&W documents up to 8.5X14 with the 4200. With the Brother HL-5150D at the office, I print high-quality b&w documents, double-sided if I wish. Color can be added to selected pages by doing a second pass through the 4200 or 9000 Pro, depending on the results I desire. I refill with inks from Hobbicolors and Precision Colors, again depending on desired results.

I'm happier than a pig in deep mud. :D:D:D Actively watching for more older Canon printers on the web. I'm not buying into the "more and more $$$ for fewer and fewer pages" schema and I'm spreading the word among family, friends and acquaintances as to these nefarious practices. Canon: Your current printer sales strategy is socially and environmentally irresponsible. Take a long walk off a short pier.