New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Please note that I am not spamming and I can't even verify if this is real or not but these guys (SEE EDIT) http://www.inkcityusa.com/Refill-Kit-For-Canon-IP4820-MG5120-MG5220-Cartridge-CLI-226-PGI-225.html

(SEE EDIT) Claim to have a working CIS system with ARC chips for the CLI-226 series cartridges. If they in fact have been able to engineer an ARC chip then resettable chips should be possible for these cartridges.

edit: After watching the video on that page it is clear that contrary to the item description they are just using the OEM chips.

Another question... how physically different are the CLI-221 and CLI-226 cartridges? For example; would it be possible to transplant a CLI-226 chip onto a CLI-221 cartridge and gain at least the visible ink reservoir window?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
RMM Please note that I am not spamming and I can't even verify if this is real or not..
I had a look at the CISS that Inkcityusa. are doing for the p4820 and taught marvellous if it works, but the chip removal thing is a bit of fudge. :|
They claim to have ARC chips when in fact their using Canon chips and youll have to disable the ink monitoring to continue to print.
They also claim to be using clog free pigment black in their system.
The CISS itself is only as good as all the rest of them on sale on the web for Canon printers, but the rest of the claims are so misleading it beggars belief because in my opinion its a lot of $$ to pay for something that's certain to fail.. :(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Oops... If the bit about the chips is accurate you'd have to question just how knowledgeable or honest the seller is about the product.

That said the need for ARC's on Canon CIS systems does seem a little pointless.. About the only thing I can think of is that you avoid the warranty/continue problem but beyond that, very little benefit at all.

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What are the drawbacks to the inkcityusa.com CIS? It requires disabling the ink level monitor which is ok because I can visually see the level in the external reservoirs and easily avoid running them dry. Right now this seems like the best option but I don't know much about what problems may arise with this type of system.

I see that meritline now sells generic refill cartridges for the 225 and 226 without a chip and require a Canon chip to be installed, but swapping the chip every time I install a new cartridge seems like a pain, and I'd have to disable the ink level monitor which I don't want to do in fear of running out of ink and damaging the print head(s).

I can buy a generic refill kit off ebay to refill the cartridges but this also requires disabling the ink level monitor. This is the cheapest option but it's dangerous.

Is my best bet to wait until a chip resetter is released?

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
@inkjago: it is my experience that disabling the ink level monitoring increases the number of cleaning cycles (with an MP640).

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is that too bad of a thing? I wouldn't mind wasting a bit extra ink since it would be so cheap, but I don't want it to go through so many cycles as to be annoying.

Interesting note: My dye black in cartridge on my MG5220 gave me the low level warning, I continued to print on and see how many pages I could get before it totally stopped me. After I got a few more pages in, the black started to turn to a light cyan color on the photos I was printing. This happened before the printer gave me the final warning message that a new cartridge must be inserted or to disable the ink level monitoring. Does this mean I ran the print head dry? I immediately put a new cartridge in and all was well. Is it ok to run the print head dry if I quickly add new ink to it? I never leave the printer for more than a few minutes while printing so I would never leave the print head dry for long if this is the case. Seems like disabling the ink monitor and refilling the Canon cartridges may not be such a bad idea after all as long as it doesn't go through a ridiculous amount of cleaning cycles.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
A lot of people do what you are doing but you have to be diligent to check or just top off all your cartridges on a regular basis. Canon print heads can usually take a lot of abuse by running them dry but it is risk you want to avoid because once you burn out the heater for a nozzle, there is no turning back.

The issue with extra cleaning cycles is not so much a concern with the cost of wasted ink, it's a matter of your waste ink tank (absorber pads) filling up earlier than otherwise.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
This question still hasn't been answered:
How physically different are the CLI-221 and CLI-226 cartridges? For example; would it be possible to transplant a CLI-226 chip onto a CLI-221 cartridge and gain at least the visible ink reservoir window?

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
inkjago said:
Is that too bad of a thing? I wouldn't mind wasting a bit extra ink since it would be so cheap, but I don't want it to go through so many cycles as to be annoying.
I think the ink wastepads will be full sooner with more cleaning cycles. Don't know how much sooner, though

zicron21ck

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
this cartridge only has a little window at the bottom of the reservoir. you can see the ink with help of bright light...IMO, german method can be use.. but dont know what happen when we deactivated the ink level monitoring.

by the way i'm using MG8170, good printer but right now, the ink almost empty, but i cant find any of the ink on the market... totally new printer here...