New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
printfan1138 said:
Looks Like Canon just shot themselves in the pocket book! Makes a guy wonder if these companies will ever learn!
To be honest, someone says the same thing every time they put another limitation or quirk in, and every time the fickle customer just goes and buys into it. So, really, they haven't done anything to their pocket book at all... Just made more of a mockery of the average consumer who hasn't a clue just how badly they're being suckered.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Until replacement chips or a resetter come to market (Uni-Kit is working on both the chips and the resetter), the Canon PGI-225 and CLI-226 ink cartridges can be refilled and re-used in the printer by following the following steps to get the printer to ignore the used OEM chip.

When your printer gives you an error message that the cartridge is "empty", keep pressing "OK" to the error message that comes up on your screen. By continuing to click "OK", the printer will finally give you a warning screen that warns "An ink tank that was once empty is installed. Printing under this situation may damage the printer". This is a warning message geared to persuade you to buy a new cartridge, but the printer does not know that you have refilled ink into the cartridge (it cannot see the ink, it can only see the chip - which says "empty"). Click "YES" to confirm that you understand the warning and that you want to continue to print anyway. You may be prompted again by a follow up message (and possibly a 3rd follow up message) informing you that you should not be printing with an empty cartridge. You can continue to click "YES" or "OK". This will bring you to a final message that gives you the option to "CANCEL PRINTING" or go "BACK". On this screen, press and hold the paper feed button for 5 seconds (if no paper feed button exists on your printer, you can press the STOP/RESET button for 5 seconds instead).

found on .inktelligent.com

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Parhs said:
Until replacement chips or a resetter come to market (Uni-Kit is working on both the chips and the resetter), the Canon PGI-225 and CLI-226 ink cartridges can be refilled and re-used in the printer by following the following steps to get the printer to ignore the used OEM chip.
found on .inktelligent.com
Cmon Uni-kit!

edit: Upon searching this company says they sell refillable cartridges with autoreset chips for 225/226 cartridges. Are they lying?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/368040436/Refillable_ink_cartridge_for_Canon_PGI225.html

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkjago Are they lying?
I dont think so, I have heard of them before and they also claim to have reset chips for most of the new Canon printers.. :|

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
inkjago said:
Cmon Uni-kit!

edit: Upon searching this company says they sell refillable cartridges with autoreset chips for 225/226 cartridges. Are they lying?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/368040436/Refillable_ink_cartridge_for_Canon_PGI225.html
Well, if you do a bit of digging the company is szmicrotec who do chips and have a history of being able to provide them for various printers so it's possible.. but.. the 225/226 ARchips aren't listed on their own site so there's still a question mark there.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just getting this back on topic of the cartridges themselves, I've got an iP4850 that arrived today so along with the other carts that I need to (re)create refilling guides for, that will be one I tackle too.

I'll post up when I've had a chance to play...

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
websnail said:
inkjago said:
Cmon Uni-kit!

Well, if you do a bit of digging the company is szmicrotec who do chips and have a history of being able to provide them for various printers so it's possible.. but.. the 225/226 ARchips aren't listed on their own site so there's still a question mark there.
I'm not very fond of Auto Reset Chips. They usually reset on each power-on which makes the printer believe that new cartridges were inserted and it will start the extra cleaning cycles for new cartridges..

pietermech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to buy the Canon MG5250 with the CLI-526 cartridges.. My previous printer was an Epson DX 3850. With that printer it was easy to change the cartridges..
Anyways, should I buy the MG5250 printer or is refilling them going to be difficult? I searched quite a bit on google and found this: youtube.com/watch?v=pspaF5eR6J8 Does this really work well? What is the best solution available now for changing/filling the ink?

@pharmacist: ik ben van Mortsel! :)

Thanks in advance and cheers!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pietermech

One of the best ways to print and refill with the new CLI-526 cartridges is to weigh the cartridge before you use it with a digital scales.
Then refill your cartridge when the printer warns of low ink.
Just fill it up to the same weight it was (when new) and it will be ready for use again.
When the printer warning shows (out of ink) just press and hold the resume button for 5 seconds and the printer will continue to print.
Periodically check the cartridge weight before use and top up if necessary.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I wonder how much cleaning cycles are increased on these newer printers when ink level monitoring is disabled?