New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
stratman The printer, through multiple printings of various types - mixed color/text documents, photographs, and disks - on separate days where the machine had been powered off and on, never recognized the low ink level.
That is correct, but the printer will eventually show the low ink warning and almost immediately (Seconds) later show ink out warning.
For some reason, when I read this, I thought of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes a car for a drive with the car salesman to see if he could drive it till it was empty but still make it back to the lot, ie use up every drop of gas but not be stranded.

SPOILER ALERT --- Kramer screws up. (duh)

That's what I think would happen if I were to "let it ride" till it was empty --- a burned out print head!

;-)

(Has Seinfeld been on TV over there in the Land of Ire? It's one of the few funny and original shows we can export.)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman SPOILER ALERT --- Kramer screws up. (duh)
That's what I think would happen if I were to "let it ride" till it was empty --- a burned out print head!
;-)
(Has Seinfeld been on TV over there in the Land of Ire? It's one of the few funny and original shows we can export.)
I will give it a try on my ip4500 and see if I lose the print head.

Sorry dont watch Seinfeld only loved Mash and Hill Street Blues.

Speaking of Television I wonder if Rob could use some of the stories that people post to start a new TV series.
It could be Gruesome, Shocking, Horrible, Joyful, Colourful, and Funny.
Now that should grab the attention of at least one of the Networks. :lol: :lol:
I am sure someone could think of a good name for it..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
I am sure someone could think of a good name for it..
Chaos Inkorporated?

*I'll get my coat*

valentt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
pietermech

One of the best ways to print and refill with the new CLI-526 cartridges is to weigh the cartridge before you use it with a digital scales.
Then refill your cartridge when the printer warns of low ink.
Just fill it up to the same weight it was (when new) and it will be ready for use again.
When the printer warning shows (out of ink) just press and hold the resume button for 5 seconds and the printer will continue to print.
Periodically check the cartridge weight before use and top up if necessary.
I just bought new Canon MG6150 with PGI-525 and CLI-526 catridges. And here are their weights:
PGI-525 - 34g
CLI-526 - 18g

But I guess that most weight goes into plastic so I'm not sure how precise you could be in filling them but hope this info helps somebody.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
If you could also measure an empty cartridge that would be helpful.

I'm not sure of the exact weight of the inks we use but water weighs about 1 gram per ml, so you should be able to know how much ink to inject by the weight of the cartridge.

P

printfan1138

Strange how company's in their quest to maximize profits end up alienating the very people that love and use their products the most. If I had any say about it I'd point out to the company owners that given the fact many people use their inks and products because they strongly feel it's the best way to go would do hand springs if Canon just came out with their own CIS systems built into their printers and gave them a price break. They could charge a bit more than third party inks and still do well in my opinion! The prices would simply not be the insane princes they now charge for the miniscule amount of inks they have in their OEM cartridges now. And just think how grateful and loyal their fans would be! Then they could save money and garner total loyalty by not needing chip counters on their cartridges any more! I know, It ain't gonna happen, yet one thread in here said that in some foreign countries, Epson has already done that and they do sell printers with their own CIS system built right in! Perhaps it would help if all Canon printer fans would send e-mails to canon and suggest they do the same thing! Happy Printing!

valentt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
RMM said:
If you could also measure an empty cartridge that would be helpful.

I'm not sure of the exact weight of the inks we use but water weighs about 1 gram per ml, so you should be able to know how much ink to inject by the weight of the cartridge.
If my info is correct 525 cartridge has 20ml and 526 cartridges have 10ml of ink, let's say 1ml stays in sponge.
So empty cartridge should weigh:

PGI-525 - 34g - 19g = 15g (empty)
CLI-526 - 18g - 9g = 9g (empty)

valentt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
inkjago said:
Parhs said:
Until replacement chips or a resetter come to market (Uni-Kit is working on both the chips and the resetter), the Canon PGI-225 and CLI-226 ink cartridges can be refilled and re-used in the printer by following the following steps to get the printer to ignore the used OEM chip.
found on .inktelligent.com
Cmon Uni-kit!

edit: Upon searching this company says they sell refillable cartridges with autoreset chips for 225/226 cartridges. Are they lying?
Did you get a price for these cartridges?

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
valentt said:
inkjago said:
Parhs said:
Until replacement chips or a resetter come to market (Uni-Kit is working on both the chips and the resetter), the Canon PGI-225 and CLI-226 ink cartridges can be refilled and re-used in the printer by following the following steps to get the printer to ignore the used OEM chip.
found on .inktelligent.com
Cmon Uni-kit!

edit: Upon searching this company says they sell refillable cartridges with autoreset chips for 225/226 cartridges. Are they lying?
Did you get a price for these cartridges?
No. Minimum order is 100 sets.