New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
qwertydude There is a clear window on the bottom.
The clear window on the bottom of the opaque cartridge is only the optical sensor area..

RMM Has anyone confirmed yet whether or not you can physically interchange the Cli-221 & Cli-226 cartridges? (With a chip swap obviously!)
I have asked that very same question before, but sadly got no reply.
As far as I can see, it is possible and maybe its a way to beat the demon black cartridge.. :|

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Websnail... Websnail? (Ferris Buehlers Day Off Voice) ;-)

We all know that you have a CLI-226 printer and can tell us if the cartridges are physically the same.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
RMM said:
Websnail... Websnail? (Ferris Buehlers Day Off Voice) ;-)
*Watches the car reverse out of the back of the garage with RMM in it* ;)

We all know that you have a CLI-226 printer and can tell us if the cartridges are physically the same.
Just done a bit more of a thorough comparison and I've noticed something small but possibly significant that's different in terms of the little push release/catch parts of the cartridge.

I'll take some pictures when I get a chance so you can see what I mean...

However, I've developed (in my head at least) a potentially workable Durchstich style refilling method but (to my annoyance) it will require syringes instead of my beloved SquEasyFill bottles (cue: dramatic sobbing).

I've even got a rather fetching name that isn't even German, Celtic or even an acronym so you'll just have to wait a bit while I get it all documented properly for your enjoyment.

mging

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Father just bought a printer that takes the CLI-226 carts. I took over my empty 221 cart and I put them in and they clicked in and seemed to fit perfectly. I got an alarm from the printer that it couldn't identify the cart but I fully expected that. When his black cart is about empty I am going to pull the chip and put it on my old 221 and try it.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi mging,

I think it is a very good idea and use the older cartridges which are much easier to refill, albeit you'll need to disable the ink level.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You could vacuum fill them without any problems, if chip resetter is available this is the route to go :)

ThePunisher

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi guys!

First of all, since I'm new here, I want to thank everyone for all the knowledge shared here! :)

Second: I can confirm that the new CLI-526 cartridges can be replaced with CLI-521 in newer printers as long as you do the chip swap. I've tried this on a friend's printer, a Pixma MG5250. We swapped tooke the chips from the CLI-526 cartrideges and put them on some 521 ones (completely clear cartridges, compatible, not Canon OEM) and they work perfectly. 526 and 521 are physically identical - well, there is a prism missing in the 526 but since we disabled ink monitoring that didn't matter anymore.

Besides, the "Durchstich" method works just fine on CLI-526. We tried to refill them blindly and it worked - which means thet the internal compartimentation of the cartridge remained the same. Of course, with the clear CLI-521 cartridges refilling is far more pelasant. :)

I hope this was helpful. :)

Digital10d

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThePunisher

Thanks for the info this is very good news. Just have to wait for a chip resetter.