New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Forget about the those chips they dont work, sorry they do work till empty and then wont reset.
The 225/226 cartridges are software based and not electrical based I believe, its going to take time and money and whoever decrypts the chip will for sure be sued..:(

valentt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So what is the best way to have Canon MG6150 running smoothly and cheaply for years to come?

From what I read so far it is best to buy new easy refillable cartridges and some ink. After my original cartridges run out I should transfer chip to new cartridges, disable ink monitor and then refill cartridges from time to time (before they run out of ink!)

Who sells affordable but great quality ink? I really don't want to buy some cheap and dodgy ink that could clog up or destroy my printer head.

I'm also looking at CISS systems but as I'm not doing large amount of prints I feel that easy refillable cartridges are better solution, although geek in me would love to buy CISS system just for the hell of it ;)

Cheers,
Valent.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just gone through a very painful but ultimately massively satisfying blitz of my workspace, removing Canon CIS systems that were barely working, getting my MP830 on the German method and taking a bit of time to check over the iP4850 that's sitting here with it's nice sleek black, opaque cartridges.

As my wife put it... "Those cheeky b***ards!"..

Anyway, I'll be attacking the cartridge proper tomorrow..

If anyone is in the UK and wants to donate some empties or can spread the word, I'll be happy to pay for postage and either a donation to charity or similar. Basically I'd like to get empties so I can experiment and rip a few apart without having to pay another 45+ for full ones that I'm going to drain anyway.

valentt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
valentt said:
So what is the best way to have Canon MG6150 running smoothly and cheaply for years to come?

From what I read so far it is best to buy new easy refillable cartridges and some ink. After my original cartridges run out I should transfer chip to new cartridges, disable ink monitor and then refill cartridges from time to time (before they run out of ink!)

Who sells affordable but great quality ink? I really don't want to buy some cheap and dodgy ink that could clog up or destroy my printer head.

I'm also looking at CISS systems but as I'm not doing large amount of prints I feel that easy refillable cartridges are better solution, although geek in me would love to buy CISS system just for the hell of it ;)

Cheers,
Valent.
I would really appreciate comment from more experienced Canon users that refill their own cartridges. So what is the best way to refill these new cartridges? Am I on the right track?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
as proposed before

here's a not so elegant solution
1. first draw out any remaining ink from opaque ink chamber
2. then refill to new cart's capacity, PGI-(19ml) CLI-(9ml)

brute force solution:
1. just blindly refill until it starts to leak
2. clean up and go

in theory both should work, if using second solution expect a mess

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

valentt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would like to have a little better solution, that is why I would like to buy these cartridges:
http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/10269716/refillable-cartridges-for-canon-pgi-525-k-cli-526-c-m-y

If I remove chips from my original empty cartridges and put them to these new transparent and easy refill ones will that work? Is only thing I need to go after that is to disable ink monitor? I have no experience with ink cartridges that have chips, that is why I ask these questions.

UPDATE:
In few forum articles few people said that replacement cartridges could have issues with ink flow and lower quality sponge that could create clogging. So I can look for quality replacement cartridges or best to stick with OEM ones? I would prefer quality replacement cartridges because they are transparent.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The refilling process will be increasingly opaque--search thru this site, if not earlier in this post and learn how we are fighting back.

1) Take extra TLC with your present transparent carts (plenty of discussion here)

2) Buy a simple digital postal scale and weigh your opaque cart during refilling. (plenty of discussion here)

3) Make your own scale with a spring and suspend the cart from it and refill to an index mark you set. (plenty of discussion here)

4) Be creative and advise us of yours or any one else's breakthrus.

good luck to all irv weiner

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
valentt
One of the ways you could minimise your ink spillage is to use squEasy bottles instead of syringes.
When you over fill your (Opaque) cartridge and you will, the ink will spill out all over the place.
When using the squEasy bottle its only a matter of vacuuming up the excess when you release the pressure on the ink bottle.. :)

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed yet whether or not you can physically interchange the Cli-221 & Cli-226 cartridges? (With a chip swap obviously!)