Windows 7 64bit slow shutdown

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
After much log searching, there is an indication that a file named "Wsearch" may be a cause of the shut down delay. Google search says about Wsearch:

WSearch is a browser hijacker that takes over Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. The program infiltrates to random computers bundled with other software that users are downloading by themselves.
WSearch - How to remove? - 2-viruses.com
www.2-viruses.com/remove-wsearch

I have not yet verified its presence (in fact I can't find it) or that removal is a cure. It is not picked up by Malwarebytes.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Emulator that WSearch is very old and is not considered a real virus, more of a nuisance and that’s probably why it goes undetected, Malwarebytes would get rid of it for you..

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@Emulator that WSearch is very old and is not considered a real virus, more of a nuisance and that’s probably why it goes undetected, Malwarebytes would get rid of it for you..

Glad to read that, but it was listed by the Windows software as a reason for at least one slow shut down.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Having followed most of the advice in recent posts, I am still no nearer to a solution, in fact the delay is getting longer!!

I also had to use a recovery procedure, when the system packed up after I applied one of the remedies.

:somad

Has anyone else had any success?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Having followed most of the advice in recent posts, I am still no nearer to a solution, in fact the delay is getting longer!!

I also had to use a recovery procedure, when the system packed up after I applied one of the remedies.
It is near impossible to give specific advice without specific details of issues and findings. I don't know what you've seen, done or changed. You need to give specific details.

Did you try my earlier recommendation to boot into Safe Mode and then shut down? This will separate Operating Sytem / BIOS issues from third party application issues.

What precisely do you read in log files that list problem files/Services?

What advice did you try and what were the results?

Have you changed anything in Registry, Start Up, Services, etc? If so, what and what happened?

Things might get so muddled that the solution may be a "Repair" (If Win 7 has this) or, worst case, complete reinstall of Windows and applications. There may be a way to save Windows settings before dumping your current install so that you won't have to tweak Windows 7 on reinstall. Someone else will have to help with this as I do not use Win 7. Lastly, it might be easier upgrading to Win 10, if it retains all applications on the upgrade, to reolve issues that seem to be compounding currently.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I'll reply when I have time, there is a vast amount of info involved, so I'll only be able to summarise. I think you are being unduly pessimistic. :)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Here are some of the answers to questions posed.

1. The black screen is only present for the duration of the message shown in post#1, it disappears with the message.

2. Changing the registry value of WaitToKillServiceTimeout from the original 12000 to 1000, has no affect on the problem. ClearPageFile at Shutdown is already at 0, so no change there.

3. Opening the Event Viewer, Applications and Services Logs...............Operational, produces no messages of use, in the 200 series or any other.

The only action that had an effect on the specific issue, i.e. the delay and appearance of the warning screen, was exploring the selective startup, in msconfig.

If all non "MS services" were disabled and the machine restarted, the warning screen did not appear on subsequent shutdown. However the process of selectively adding back the other services, did not give any clear indication of the cause, in fact I reached just the last two to switch back on and that is when the machine crashed and had to be restored to the previous backup. One might think that this is a pointer to the source of the problem. But exclusively turning them off and restarting caused the crash.

I will post this reply and then look up the file names and add them to this post.
The last two files were "Protexis Licensing V2" and "Cyberlink Richvideo Service (CRVS)"

I think it too much of a coincidence that the very last two files I had to switch back on were the cause of the problem. I think some other process took effect and caused the crash.

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I have been following this thread with great interest. I am fascinated with technology, and the lengths that learned members will go to to solve even the most difficult of challenges such as this......leaving no stone unturned, trawling the halls of Microsoft into its very bowels.

With my limited knowledge I am forced into simple solutions to complex issues...

Upon activating shut down I simply rotate my desk chair 180 degrees, count to twenty backwards and then rotate my desk chair 180 degrees again and like majik my computer is shut down without any annoying delay.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@3dogs I can get most of that, but I’m stuck on the bit where you count to twenty Backwards ! ! :hu