Windows 7 64bit slow shutdown

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
3. Opening the Event Viewer, Applications and Services Logs...............Operational, produces no messages of use, in the 200 series or any other.
Did you try Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools?
In some cases, this screen will actually display the problem under "Performance Issues."

The only action that had an effect on the specific issue, i.e. the delay and appearance of the warning screen, was exploring the selective startup, in msconfig.

If all non "MS services" were disabled and the machine restarted, the warning screen did not appear on subsequent shutdown.
The idea was to Safe Boot, not use the weaker MSconfig which is not ideal for trouble shooting or even stopping processes that may be causing trouble.

I do not know where you may find the following but in Win 8 use Task Manager to look at Processes and Services. Processes can let you know of a file which is hogging resources, for example. Services is where you can selectively find out what is running in RAM and stop it from running on boot. In Win 8, all names of files running as Processes are seen in the Task Manager tab named Details. Otherwise you would need to right click on a Process and select Properties to find the file name.

One way of identifying issues is to painstakingly Google EVERY SINGLE Processes to find out what it is, You may have maleware, or, you may find extraneous Processes that may be stopped from running at boot and thereby improve performance overall.

I looked up your "Protexis Licensing V2" and "Cyberlink Richvideo Service (CRVS)" and the first seems part of Corel software while the second is from Cyberlink. More important information would be the specific file name associated with these applications, ie an .exe, .dll, .com, etc

However the process of selectively adding back the other services, did not give any clear indication of the cause, in fact I reached just the last two to switch back on and that is when the machine crashed and had to be restored to the previous backup. One might think that this is a pointer to the source of the problem. But exclusively turning them off and restarting caused the crash.
A restore got you back up running but left you with the same issue it seems. Sometimes a Windows Repair can fix operating system glitches due to corrupt or bad drivers. Keep this solution in reserve for now as it usually pertains to boot issues.

Run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool as RAM may be the issue. Doubtful but possible. Directions for Win 7 here.

Run a System File Check. Google SFC or System File Check plus the name of your operating system for instructions. ("SFC Windows 7")

This may turn out to be a long process, so prepare for tedium and frustration. Also, make a back up of your Registry and your System, both of which can be done with tools supplied by and found in Windows, in case things go sour (again).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I suspect that my system changed when I installed the larger Samsung SSD.

The optimal set up for an SSD is to have a motherboard with a BIOS that can do AHCI, set the BIOS to AHCI, install the SSD and then install the operating system. All the proper drivers will be installed. This only works seamlessly for Win 7 on up. You have to do more work with XP. I don't know about Vista.

If you add an SSD later after having traditional hard drive(s) installed, where the BIOS is set to IDE mode, then either keep the BIOS set to IDE (and lose some functionality of the SSD) or do the system changes as detailed on numerous web sites BEFORE changing the BIOS to AHCI or else risk suffering BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

The OP did not state he suffers from BSOD, yet it is reasonable to check if he is running in AHCI mode.
I asked this before but no reply yet:

Question: Did you install your OS in IDE mode and then later add the SSD or was the installation of your OS (Win 7) done in AHCI mode?

In other words, was the BIOS originally set to IDE but then changed to AHCI when you installed the SSD? is your BIOS set to AHCI or IDE currently?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@3dogs Count to twenty backwards from which number?

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I asked this before but no reply yet:

Question: Did you install your OS in IDE mode and then later add the SSD or was the installation of your OS (Win 7) done in AHCI mode?

In other words, was the BIOS originally set to IDE but then changed to AHCI when you installed the SSD? is your BIOS set to AHCI or IDE currently?

The BIOS is currently set to AHCI. The current Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB replaced the 250GB. As far as I can establish (remember) (I built the system from parts) the SSD would have been in the system when Win 7 was installed, (there are also two 1TB HDs), but that slight uncertainty could be a good reason to follow the resetting procedure. You described it earlier, but where?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Did you try Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools?
In some cases, this screen will actually display the problem under "Performance Issues."

The idea was to Safe Boot, not use the weaker MSconfig which is not ideal for trouble shooting or even stopping processes that may be causing trouble.

I do not know where you may find the following but in Win 8 use Task Manager to look at Processes and Services. Processes can let you know of a file which is hogging resources, for example. Services is where you can selectively find out what is running in RAM and stop it from running on boot. In Win 8, all names of files running as Processes are seen in the Task Manager tab named Details. Otherwise you would need to right click on a Process and select Properties to find the file name.

One way of identifying issues is to painstakingly Google EVERY SINGLE Processes to find out what it is, You may have maleware, or, you may find extraneous Processes that may be stopped from running at boot and thereby improve performance overall.

I looked up your "Protexis Licensing V2" and "Cyberlink Richvideo Service (CRVS)" and the first seems part of Corel software while the second is from Cyberlink. More important information would be the specific file name associated with these applications, ie an .exe, .dll, .com, etc

A restore got you back up running but left you with the same issue it seems. Sometimes a Windows Repair can fix operating system glitches due to corrupt or bad drivers. Keep this solution in reserve for now as it usually pertains to boot issues.

Run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool as RAM may be the issue. Doubtful but possible. Directions for Win 7 here.

Run a System File Check. Google SFC or System File Check plus the name of your operating system for instructions. ("SFC Windows 7")

This may turn out to be a long process, so prepare for tedium and frustration. Also, make a back up of your Registry and your System, both of which can be done with tools supplied by and found in Windows, in case things go sour (again).
Advanced Tools.jpg

No message

The process using msconfig is referred to as a Clean Boot, I assume this is the same as a safe boot, it seemed a well designed process allowing many variations of control.
Selective startup.jpg

SEE:- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/fb35a679-c9b8-4a97-95c4-39c60e218130?auth=1

The Task Manager in Win7 provides the same type of information.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The BIOS is currently set to AHCI. The current Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB replaced the 250GB. As far as I can establish (remember) (I built the system from parts) the SSD would have been in the system when Win 7 was installed, (there are also two 1TB HDs), but that slight uncertainty could be a good reason to follow the resetting procedure. You described it earlier, but where?
So the BIOS was always set at AHCI. Nothing more to do about this I would presume.

Wasn't it in your own link? You can find instructions on Google on how to convert from IDE to AHCI before setting BIOS. People were getting BSOD if they just set BIOS.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
:eek::confused: I feel everything get disappointed, when you last time get reboot without delay ? you can not make system recovery ?

As you change to AHCI your system will not do right good better than before.

I recommend you maybe it help look at this:
https://communities.intel.com/message/87153

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Emulator

So, nothing illuminating in Advanced Tools or Event log/viewer. Did you look around the other options in the Advanced Tools window? (Do NOT defrag your SSD.)

Safe Mode may be different than Clean Boot. You should see "Safe Mode" in the corners of your screen. I prefer Safe Mode as you are assured nothing but system files are loaded and you can exclude more such as networking at boot. this may be a moot point as you said that when you did a Clean Boot you no longer had the shut down delay. So it is a file(s), most likely third party in origin (non-Miccrosoft) that are gumming up the works.

The link you posted is the one I keep referring to. I believe it was posted by tigerman.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@3dogs I can get most of that, but I’m stuck on the bit where you count to twenty Backwards ! ! :hu

Easy peasy!

eno
owt
eerht
ruof
evif

and so on to...

neetenin
ytnewt

Maybe a couple of typo's in there. I am getting old you know. (Also grouchy and cantankerous)

RS