Windows 7 64bit slow shutdown

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Here are some of the answers to questions posed.

1. The black screen is only present for the duration of the message shown in post#1, it disappears with the message.

2. Changing the registry value of WaitToKillServiceTimeout from the original 12000 to 1000, has no affect on the problem. ClearPageFile at Shutdown is already at 0, so no change there.

3. Opening the Event Viewer, Applications and Services Logs...............Operational, produces no messages of use, in the 200 series or any other.

The only action that had an effect on the specific issue, i.e. the delay and appearance of the warning screen, was exploring the selective startup, in msconfig.

If all non "MS services" were disabled and the machine restarted, the warning screen did not appear on subsequent shutdown. However the process of selectively adding back the other services, did not give any clear indication of the cause, in fact I reached just the last two to switch back on and that is when the machine crashed and had to be restored to the previous backup. One might think that this is a pointer to the source of the problem. But exclusively turning them off and restarting caused the crash.

I will post this reply and then look up the file names and add them to this post.
The last two files were "Protexis Licensing V2" and "Cyberlink Richvideo Service (CRVS)"

I think it too much of a coincidence that the very last two files I had to switch back on were the cause of the problem. I think some other process took effect and caused the crash.

Protexis Licensing V2....
This relates to software made be Coral, if you have no Coral software on your machine you can get rid of it (ill describe how in a moment). If you do have software by coral then you either will have to put up with it or go through a long process of uninstalling that software and then ridding yourself of the Protexis tool before reinstalling the software and putting all your preferences back as you had them or you can delay its start up until you run your coral software (The choice is yours as they say).

Cyberlink Richvideo Service (CRVS)...
Is a service relating normaly to either PowerDVD some other cyberlink dvd/bluray software or one of their other editing apps like Power director. It should not cause an issue and is basically codec related for video file usage and display. I doubt this is your issue.

How to remove Protexis...
1 Remove the following registry entry:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ProtexisLicensing
2 Reboot your computer.
3 Delete the following files:
Code:
%windir%\System32\PSIService.exe
%windir%\System32\PSIKey.exe

DONE.

THE BELOW STEPS ARE WHAT I RECOMMEND YOU SHOULD TRY FIRST, REVERSE THEM IF IT DOES NOT WORK
THE BELOW OPTIONS WILL NOT 100% SOLVE THE ISSUE, ANY SHUTDOWN AFTER USING YOUR CORAL SOFTWWARE MAY STILL GIVE THE DELAYED SHUTDOWN ISSUE, ANY TIME YOU DO NOT USE CORAL SOFTWARE THE SHUTDOWN ISSUE SHOULD BE CURED THOUGH

If you want to keep Protexis installed, but would like to keep it for use only when running software that uses it, do the following to keep it off until you need it.

For Protexis Licensing Service Version 1

Open Services either from the control panel or clicking on the start menu and typing services.msc and pressing enter.
Locate ProtexisLicensing or Protexis Licensing service.
Stop the service and then set the Startup Type to Disabled.
Bowse to %SystemDrive%\Windows\System32 folder.
Copy original PSIKey.dll to program folder of application that relies on Protexis, e.g. %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI\.
Rename PsiClient.dll to PsiClient.bak, or simply delete it.
Rename PSIKey.dll to PsiClient.dll
Rename PSIService.exe to PSIService.bak, or simply delete it.

For Protexis Licensing Service Version 2
Open Services either from the control panel or clicking on the start menu and typing services.msc and pressing enter.
Locate Protexis Licensing V2 service. Stop the service and then set the Startup Type to Disabled.
Bowse to %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service folder.
Copy original PSIKey_2.dll to program folder of application that relies on Protexis, e.g. %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\.
Rename PsiClient.dll to PsiClient.bak, or simply delete it.
Rename PSIKey_2.dll to PsiClient.dll
Rename PSIService_2.exe to PSIService_2.bak, or simply delete it.

Done :)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@3dogs Count to twenty backwards from which number?
Ah Ha!.......thank you for asking. If I have my back to the screen....no matter which way I count, its counting backwards....!!!
A person has to be Celtic to follow this logic I fear. @Roy Sletcher is from Darkest Africa thus his explnation is also correct as reversing the written word is yet another example of the superiority of Colonial thinking. We had to make our way in a Hostile land and learned new and exciting ways of seeing problems........we effectively learned that from the tortoise......at the first sign of a problem.....back in the shell and by majik the world goes away.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thank you to all making comments on this delay issue. I have Paint Shop Pro, LG and CyberLink Blu-ray so I don't think these two files are the problem.

My line of thinking is how to identify the origin of the post#1 screen by some means. I started Task Master just before shut down and this produced a reaction in this screen by adding a comment "1 program waiting to be closed" or words to that effect, it is displayed so briefly you can easily miss it. So this must be a functional element in the Windows system? Why should this be switched on sometime after the original installation? Are there any other ways to identify the origin of the screened image?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think both Roy's and Andrew's thinking both humorous and clever and I still haven't caught up with the PM bit.:)

Looking at you Google image makes me think you should get a drone with a camera and survey you land from an armchair!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Emulator it just hit me, how long does it actually take your computer to shut down, have you counted this in seconds and if so how many. ?

You could be trying to split the Atom.. :hu

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Thank you to all making comments on this delay issue. I have Paint Shop Pro, LG and CyberLink Blu-ray so I don't think these two files are the problem.

My line of thinking is how to identify the origin of the post#1 screen by some means. I started Task Master just before shut down and this produced a reaction in this screen by adding a comment "1 program waiting to be closed" or words to that effect, it is displayed so briefly you can easily miss it. So this must be a functional element in the Windows system? Why should this be switched on sometime after the original installation? Are there any other ways to identify the origin of the screened image?

Replicate if you can whatever you do when you get the "waiting for programmes to close" screen
Bring up task manager (ctrl alt delete) before you shutdown. Under the applications tab kill 1 item and then shutdown/restart the machine.
If the screen still displays you know whatever programme you killed is not the problem
Repeat the process only kill a different application each time, until you find the one that is causing the issue.

You may also have to kill one thing at a time under the processes tab in task manager which is normally a longer list and will be more of a pain.

The other way to find out is as Tigerman mentioned near the beginning of this thread....
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/fb35a679-c9b8-4a97-95c4-39c60e218130?auth=1

Follow the post at that link by Chris.H - Support Engineer. Except where it says about allowing all MS tasks allow them all EXCEPT one at a time if killing non MS tasks does not cure the issue.

Even after all this it is possible the system (dependant on spec and what you have installed) does just naturally need more time to shutdown. Are you one of those people with a billion things running in the background and an notification area (bottom right icons next to the clock) which stretch halfway across the screen?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
There are no applications running in Task Manager, I normally close all applications before shutting down. However, there are currently 107 Processes and 94 Services running, under Win 7 control.

Incidentally, I think I have been through all those suggestions already.

There must be an easier way to find the source of that screen.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
There are no applications running in Task Manager, I normally close all applications before shutting down. However, there are currently 107 Processes and 94 Services running, under Win 7 control.

Incidentally, I think I have been through all those suggestions already.

There must be an easier way to find the source of that screen.

The only other thing that may give some clue as to programme causing the issue is event viewer...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-information-event-logs-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

though i do not think it logs the issue you are having.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
One additional bit of information is that the post#1 screen does not appear if you shut down via "sleep", rather than "shut down". This, I think, points to Windows itself being responsible for the screen and the additional delay. But why it should have introduced the additional screen display in the first place, after weeks of use of Win7 without the screen appearing, is not clear.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
One additional bit of information is that the post#1 screen does not appear if you shut down via "sleep", rather than "shut down". This, I think, points to Windows itself being responsible for the screen and the additional delay. But why it should have introduced the additional screen display in the first place, after weeks of use of Win7 without the screen appearing, is not clear.

Quick update. Both my computers have SSD's Both delay shut down.....however the newer one that was built around a SSD, rather than converted to SSD shuts in the blink of an eye. The older converted machine is really tedious!

Also you asked about ACR 9.1 in LR. If you have LR6 it was shipped with 9.1 according to Lightroom Forum.

Cheers