Windows 7 64bit slow shutdown

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
You mean using msconfig.exe then disables all programs.

I see your screen black have you anti-virus or antimalware..

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
After a web search, two options appear useful, see below. I suspect that my system changed when I installed the larger Samsung SSD.

Quotations from the Web:-

1. Started after I activated ACHI. The s/w that came with the SSD drive may have changed the settings.

A quick fix for me was to disable ACHI of my BIOS settings.

OR

2. I finally cured the problem with some tweaks to my registry.

What you want to do is go to the registry and change a couple values. Open the registry and locate the key{ \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management}, then change the value of ClearPageFile at Shutdown to a 0 IF the value is 1. If the value is 1, it will take longer for your computer to shutdown..this fix cured it all for me. I also did this : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\
Highlight the value WaitToKillServiceTimeout
Change this value to 1000.

Go into the start menu and type regedit and the registry editor will display. Locate the above keys, change the values, save and restart.

See this for more detail http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/33720-what-achi.html

and http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-...o-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

I have not yet tried to apply either of these solutions.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Emulator - The fixes you enumerate come from where??? Impossible to validate without more context.

I do not see anyone discuss the issue you are having at the link you supplied. Also, ACHI is not necessarily needed for TRIM, though you definitely do want TRIM support. Why do you think this link is the answer?

Question: Did you install your OS in IDE mode and then later add the SSD or was the installation of your OS (Win 7) done in ACHI mode?

Before doing any Registry hacks, which very well may fix the issue, try booting in SAFE MODE and then shutting down. SAFE MODE will load only necessary Windows drivers, etc and not any third party apps you installed on your computer. If shutdown proceeds quickly as desired then the issue is a third party app taking too long to release its death grip (ie close) on your RAM. What to do then is detailed in tigerman's link as I posted before. There is also a possible shortcut way of finding out the offending app/file in tigerman's link.

Since there are three people on the forum with the same issue it may be the same offending application on the same Operating System is causing the issue for all.

Are everyone's OS and applications updated?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
I read about AHCI mode they recommend you modify bios setting before installing windows.
They suggest change bios to non-AHCI mode to start run windows normally. but care what you do ..:)

My laptop use sata operation: AHCI
HD: wdc 750 gb, ram 8gb, cpu i7 3517, windows 8.1 64 bit.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It is pretty straight forward once you have the information. The optimal set up for an SSD is to have a motherboard with a BIOS that can do AHCI, set the BIOS to AHCI, install the SSD and then install the operating system. All the proper drivers will be installed. This only works seamlessly for Win 7 on up. You have to do more work with XP. I don't know about Vista.

If you add an SSD later after having traditional hard drive(s) installed, where the BIOS is set to IDE mode, then either keep the BIOS set to IDE (and lose some functionality of the SSD) or do the system changes as detailed on numerous web sites BEFORE changing the BIOS to AHCI or else risk suffering BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

The OP did not state he suffers from BSOD, yet it is reasonable to check if he is running in AHCI mode.

That three people here suffer the same issue, and we all are printer and graphics nutz, it is possible there is a common denominator.

Cold boot into Safe Mode and then shut down. If the problem persists then it is an OP/System issue and then consider the WaitToKillServiceTimeout workaround if you do not want to play detective. If the computer shuts down rapidly from Safe Mode then use the method described in tigerman's link to reboot with only some of the Start Up programs or Services running in order to begin to isolate which application is the cause. Or try the WaitToKillServiceTimeout if you have no patience or desire to figure things out.

You could also follow the directions for reading the OS log files to see if it identifies the problem file for you. This can be found in tigerman's link.

You can do it, boys!

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Tigerman let me know that I jumbled up my acronym in my last post and it should be AHCI, not ACHI. At least I was consistent.

Corrections made.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From tigerman's link are instructions for, hopefully, quickly identifying the problem file/Service on a Windows 7 machine:

If you are experiencing slow Windows 7 shutdowns, there is a (fairly) easy way to identify the potential culprit (an antivirus program, driver, or other process).

Navigate to: Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools.
In some cases, this screen will actually display the problem under "Performance Issues."

Failing that, open the Event Viewer and navigate to:
Applications and Services Logs>Microsoft>Windows>Diagnostics-Performance>Operational
Highlight Critical and Warning events and look at the description below.
Events in the 100 series are boot events and items in the 200 series are shutdown events.
Here's an example from mine:

This application caused a delay in the system shutdown process:

File Name : tomcat6.exe
Friendly Name : Service Runner
Version : 2.0.3.0
Total Time : 4991ms
Degradation Time : 4491ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎10‎-‎28T02:26:41.847025800Z
(Oh noes! this program used up more than 4 seconds extra shutting down! It is part of VMWare so ... necessary evil.)

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Perfect @stratman :thumbsup... just follow instructions try.
here ex.
dia.PNG

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil