Spongeless cartridge

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Then its not a problem. Its a small recess and though I inserted/removed the Jetyoungs many times no more recesses were made, neither was the one deepened.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Panos- I agree with your observations about the ink pooling on the metal filter in the print head with the spongeless cartridge. When you think about the physics the likely explanation is that when the spongeless cartridge is in place there is a pool of ink sitting directly on the screen filter- unlike the sponge cartridges were the sponge is in direct contact with the metal filter.

So when the spongeless cartridge is removed there is a puddle of ink on the metal screen as Panos's photos show.

The fact that your colour spongeless worked and the black didn't and that you had different brands of ink suggests that the viscosity of the ink may be influencing the performance of the cartridge. I don't completely understand what provides the resistance to outflow for the spongeless cartridges, but it is probably the internal ink filled channels inside the cartridge.

I am still using one black spongeless cartridge as a standalone refillable ( colours are sponged) in a MP730. Had no problems with leakage whilst the cartridge is in place. At refilling time I will soak up the pool of ink on the printhead port with the corner of a tissue rolled up as a wick. I plan to add the colour spongeless cartridges as I get more experince after experimenting with the black one.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
ocular, could you post the exact method you are using to refill / insert the spongeless cartridges?

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Apologise for the slow reply.

An important concept with these spongeless cartridges using the pull/push technique is the size of the syringe. I was supplied with a sixty ml syringe. I am not sure if you were supplied with a refilling syringe from Jetyoung. It is necessary to make sure the sealing clip for the exit port is in place whilst refilling.
The technique is to put 30mls of ink in the syringe, place the end of the syringe into the breather hole of the spongeless cartridge and suck with the syringe plunger to draw air out of the spongeless cartridge, then release the plunger of the syringe and the vacum created in the cartridge draws the plunger down and ink into the cartridge. The physics of this doesn't seem to work with a smaller syringe. With the syringe still in place the process can be repeated a number of times to maximally fill the cartridge - 20 mls seems to be about the maximum amount for an empty cartridge.

The syringe is taken off and the hole left open as the breather hole and remove cover from exit port , wipe any excess ink of cartridge and return to print head.

BobCoulter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Ocular,
Your last post was 02-20-2005 - so is it still working???

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Still going fine with the black spongeless cartridge. Added ink to it twice so far. Everynow and again I take the cartridge out just to have a look. There is no doubt that there is a pool of ink balancing on the metal screen of the print head inlet when the spongeless cartridge is remove. Got caught out once when I soaked up this pool of ink with a corner of tissue paper, then replaced the cartridge and then the black wouldn't print. Refilled the cartridge and replaced it back in the printer and did a head clean/nozzle check and all is fine now.

I summise that the pool of ink is necessary to allow the ink to flow out of the cartridge, especially if the cartridge is near empty. In fact opening up the exit port of the spongeless cartridge by pressing on the valve stem releases only a small ooze of ink. In a nearly empty cartridge ( it is difficult to tell when the cartridge is near emmpty as there are many ink filled chambers) the outflow of ink declines to the degree the pocket of air can't be cleared from over the metal screen inlet to the print head?

Have had no ink leakage via the print head and quality of print is fine.

BreadPigZ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I know that the OEM canon cartridge had a prism to tell user when ink is low, and then the firmware will start to count number of droplets of ink, before prompting user to change ink.

Can spongeless cartridge do that?

Can you provide a photo of the so called detection unit, where the prism in OEM is

Thanks

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes, it does have a prism and it works without problems. See Occular's first photos.

BreadPigZ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
But is it legal? Because I heard about some compatibles cartridge companies got sue due to what rights. Is the prism part of it?

Or can anyone enlighten me which part of the cartridge got rights and which are not.

And what is the purpose?

And why OEM are more expensive??

Thanks alot..

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I see nothing illegal in purchasing them for personal use but if you intend on reselling them you'll have to ask a lawyer for legal questions, I'm afraid.

The purpose is to refill easily without getting into troubles with sponges. Sponges are difficult to refill after a certain number of times.

OEM cartridges are more expensive because they are build on higher quality standards but most importantly because the OEM has greater freedom in fixing its prices.