Refilling the new Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just refilled my first cart, and I still get the "low ink" warning when I print. I wonder if I just let this run out or do I do something after my first refill? The various webpages state press the paper feed button, but the printer doesn't have such a button, it only has a power and a resume/cancel button -- I assume the "paper feed" button is the resume/cancel button?

So do I press this button with the printer cover OPEN and the cartridge OUT of the printer? Or do I press it with the printer cover CLOSED and the cartridge INSIDE the printer?

Thanks!

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes , the low ink warning will continue until the Printer decides you must have run out (it cannot "see" the ink you have put in ), then it will give a warning that the ink has run out , if you wish to override it will close down the cart for monitoring. You override by pressing the resume/print button, middle button r/h side on mp 150.

"press it with the printer cover CLOSED and the cartridge INSIDE the printer? "................yes.

After you have elected to override the ink monitoring by using an "empty " cart, the machine will remind you ,(as long as you use that cart), that a "refilled" cart is in by a flashing yellow light. This cannot be switched off, but the light does not start until the printer is called to print. Its annoying, but you get used to it.

If you remove the cart for further re-fill, the machine will repeat the appropriate warnings again, and you repeat the override process.

The carts run out quite quickly because of the absence of a proper, seperate, reservoir. I recommend you re-fill a little amount frequently , do not wait for the one of the colours to run out. Do a nozzle check printout from Mintenance each day and make sure all 4 inks are printing, that way your heads will last longer. Putting new , non -overridden carts in will return the printer to normal operation, (as long as those carts are in .)

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
So I just wait for it to "run out" thanks! I'm not too clear on this as of yet, but as with all things, I'll probably understand it when it's time to do it for real. I've got a new print job coming, so I'll probably be an "expert" on this after about 2 days ;)

Putting new , non -overridden carts in will return the printer to normal operation, (as long as those carts are in .)
Have you gotten any new carts by now? If so, have you tried "cycling" them? For instance, put in cart #1, then when it runs out, put in cart #2, then #3 and so forth until you get back to cart #1 when, hopefully, the printer will recognize it as a "new, full" cart rather than an "old, near-empty" cart.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Have you gotten any new carts by now? If so, have you tried "cycling" them? For instance, put in cart #1, then when it runs out, put in cart #2, then #3 and so forth until you get back to cart #1 when, hopefully, the printer will recognize it as a "new, full" cart rather than an "old, near-empty" cart.

I bought 2 machines , (the second one just for the carts), so I was able to "cycle". Since then I have purchased 4 Color and 2 Black (off the Web empty showing steady yellow "low ink, not overridden).

It is not possible for the machine or the cart to be fooled by any clever combination of adding and subtracting or rotation of the carts. Once the cart has been told it is low, (because it has reached a pre-determined number of firings of that color nozzle), it stays told, like all current generation Canon chipped carts.

My wife has just done 500 6x4 photographs on the MP150, in a week, this required regular refills, 15-20 ?, but the head is still going well, I intend to push as far as i can

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I remember reading something that the carts have serial numbers or something that the printer "remembers" and that you could trick it into thinking it has a "new" cart --- apparently this is not the case here since the cart "remembers" its own status so there's no tricking the cart.

Pity we lose the ink-monitoring system. My iP1000 was not this fussy. Oh well.

Thanks for the update and for the help!

Tetsuro Hoshino

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello!

mp150ls1.jpg

Is 9 a "paper feed"/"resume/print" button on MP-150 panel ?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Its confusing but the on screen manual describes the 150 r/h buttons as:-

(8) [Color] Button*

Starts color copying. Also, press this button to confirm settings or operations.

(9) [Stop/Reset] Button

Cancels operations and returns the machine to standby mode.

(10) [ON/OFF] Button

Turns the machine ON and OFF. Before turning ON the machine, make sure the Document Cover is closed.

For overriding an ink out warning, the machine warning dialogue box shows button 8 as being the one to press.

"press this button to confirm settings or operations". This is the one I use, just press it once and wait 2-3 seconds .

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I finally "consume" my ink and the monitor tells me that I can continue printing if I just press the resume button. A one-second press does the trick. I've refilled the cart 2 times since that and have not yet had to press the resume button again.

This is cool, pity I lost the ink monitor system. Well, better do a lot of refills!

I accidentally injected a bit of ink into my sponges as they were almost full, and it showed at the top. As the ink goes down, does the color fade also?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
alexandereci said:
I accidentally injected a bit of ink into my sponges as they were almost full, and it showed at the top. As the ink goes down, does the color fade also?
Yes it fades . In my experience it is better to try and keep the surface of each color compartment white and dry. This reduces the possibility of excess ink getting "over the wall " and contaminating its neighbours.

If a sponge does become contaminated, just lever it out, place under a running stream of water, run until white, place in a folded tissue, squeeze it dry, clean out the empty compartment with a dry tissue, replace the sponge, refill with color. Refill until you think you can see the ink just below the surface (at one end, cart resting on "the slant". Black carts of course can be filled a bit more than this as there is less risk of problems.