Refilling the new Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi...

Would anyone know if these new Canon cartriges are refillable, or if these have chips too?

I know about the problems due to the chips on the PG-5 and CLI-8s, but have not found any info about the Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51s.

Thanks

misterinkjet81

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
no problems filling these babies. got the ink in the other day. They are going to be like the 56,57,58 pretty simple.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
"no problems filling these babies. got the ink in the other day. They are going to be like the 56,57,58 pretty simple."

I have just bought a MP150 on the strength of this statement.........can misterInkjet81(or someone else) please outline the procedure to be involved.

I have taken a good look at the carts and am game for anything...........what is it that is "pretty simple"

thanks Headphonesman.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is the ink capacity of these cartridges?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Osage said:
And to see your curiosity and raise you 10 I'd like to know how long the printhead lasts on them too as I believe they are printhead on cartridge types.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
Osage said:
And to see your curiosity and raise you 10 I'd like to know how long the printhead lasts on them too as I believe they are printhead on cartridge types.
Thanks Osage and Websnail, whilst you have been busy giving me extra things to ponder, I have managed to find 2 methods described.

http://www.kingkahler.com/CL41instructions.html
http://www.bs-print.co.uk/canon-ip-1600-refill-instructions.htm

I am likely to go with the drill method first and revert to the cap removal method if I am not happy . Both methods indicate a re-fill quantity as being 6ml. Yes Websnail, the heads are integral with the cart . When the first one fails , I shall report the life of the cart to this Forum, along with the final method of re-fill.
Meanwhile here are the 2 sources of re-fill info that I used.

PS....if anyone can tell me exactly where the "paper feed" button referred to is, I would be thankful, (cant spot it in the instruction pamphlet)

Dan@blue-optix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
These are quite nice cartridges to re-fill. I go for the pop the top off methord then you can see exactly what you are doing.

Its a very hard sponge, you can pull it out quite easily to have a look down the bottom (not that one would need to)

1. Remove cap
2. Hold the cartridge on a bit of kitchen towel folded 4 times (stops contamination)
3. Fill untill the top of the sponge looks "wet"
4. Remove about 1ml of ink - or just untill the top of the sponge doesnt look so wet!
5. Hold the cartridge upright and check for leaking (ink bobbing on the head)
6. Replace the cap (small blob of glue)
7. Start printing.

You may receive warning messages saying the cart is empty, you can turn the ink monitor off in the driver settings I believe.

I haven't had any returns for this cartridge yet, I also havent had a head failure with the exception of a customer who ran the cart bone dry. I think most of ours are on about 6 or 7 refills max at the moment.

Volume of ink can vary depending whats left, usually between 5 & 10ml per colour, using the above fill untill full method is the most reliable I find.

Regs,

Dan

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,

exactly the kind of info I was looking for !.... I will elect to use the top -off method as you suggest.

regards

Headphonesman

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Dan and any others that can shed light on the following problems:-

I have 1 MP150 (machine A) .......the carts are the original 40/41 ...I estimate they are 50% empty......no warning lights or dialogue has shown to date. I am at a loss to know which is the re-set/paper feed button I have to use when I re-fill and offer up the carts again to get the carts accepted , and stop flashing lights.?

Problem 2. In the last few days I purchased another MP 150 (for the ink carts really, to rotate with the original set in Machine 1) (I intend to mothball the chassis of machine 2) ,,,,,,,,However before mothballing I decided to test as a standalone copier with the carts from machine 1 temporarily installed ( there has been no connection to a PC, just to mains power)

Machine 2 appears to refuse to recognise the "second hand " carts from machine 1.....I press every button in sight....to get the warning lights off , against the carts indicator on the panel.....I get "E" in the big circle and "5" ......no joy.......This of course makes me even more anxious to get on top of the re-fill scenario for machine one..............I did consider giving machine 2 its new carts , but i would rather I could make it take the carts I want it to...........using a "button" ??.......like i will want to with machine 1. !