Refilling the new Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
RSole said:
I now have a total of four of these MX310 printers. One I had left in my car overnight with temperatures down to minus 15 Celsius. I had forgotten about the water based ink in the cartridges. Can I assume that the cartridges have frozen and are now ruined?

When I get to the point of having a spare set of cartridges I will try to remove the foam and see the results. If they leak I will try to glue a thin layer of foam on the bottom and a thin layer at the top to prevent sloshing. If it foams between the layers, the bottom piece of foam should filter out any bubbles. I wonder what percentage of the capacity the foam occupies.
4 printers? I "would" say this is overkill but given the price you could easily make up the difference selling the cartridges they came with.

Minus 15 Celsius? I can't say I know the freezing point of ink, nor how well packed they are in styrofoam. I'm not sure how the PG/CL series cartridges are packed. CLI8s in the last few printers I saw were in simple shrinkwrap plastic, but the head was in a semi-foil anti static bag.

Protection
1) Cardboard box
2) Plastic (2mills?)
3) Some styrofoam
4) Shink wrap
5) Black plastic

Will this protect the printer from -15 temps? You tell us? I know it's not a good idea to try. For laughs you could try either water or some of that Costco ink in those bottles, in a ziplock bag, in a box and see what happens.

On the cli8 cartridges, they are 13ml. IIRC 80% of the ink is in the reservoir, 20% in the sponge. The area of the sponge is a good deal larger, and it's not 100% full. I'm sure you "could" increase the capacity but I'd be careful. Careful in the fact that it has a sponge for a reason, to keep the ink in the cartridge.

RSole

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am sure that the cartridges themselves were below 0 C. If they don't have any thing to lower the freezing point of the ink, then they froze for sure. Now would that have ruined them internally? If they are ruined then I have wasted that which is of the greatest value in that 20 lb box that includes a printer as a bonus.

RSole

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Now I have another problem. My PC (XP Pro SP3) won't recognize the MX310. First I downloaded the latest driver from Canon, no luck. Then I ran the installation CD and got the message: "one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned". Every printer I've had has always been recognized as soon as I loaded the driver and connected the cables. Serves me right for being greedy and buying 4 of these....

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
RSole said:
I now have a total of four of these MX310 printers. One I had left in my car overnight with temperatures down to minus 15 Celsius. I had forgotten about the water based ink in the cartridges. Can I assume that the cartridges have frozen and are now ruined?

When I get to the point of having a spare set of cartridges I will try to remove the foam and see the results. If they leak I will try to glue a thin layer of foam on the bottom and a thin layer at the top to prevent sloshing. If it foams between the layers, the bottom piece of foam should filter out any bubbles. I wonder what percentage of the capacity the foam occupies.
I never knew that the truck that delivers printers has to be heated. Did you test the printer? Is it really not working?
Remember dye ink is water now if that was pigment ink then it's another story. Pigment ink can't be or should not be frozen.

RSole

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The printer I tried to install was not the one that froze. As soon as I turn it on my computer displays an error bubble that says: USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned...
If I reconnect my i560 (the drivers for which I had deleted) it is recognized immediately. I suspect this MX310 is DOA. I will try another unit.

BTW, the shipping box indicates to keep it between a certain temperature range (0C-40C)

UPDATE: Problem solved! The USB cable end that was plugged into my old i560 had a flared shoulder that prevented it's complete insertion into the MX310. Trimming off the excess plastic allowed the plug to seat properly and now my PC and I are happy!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
RSole said:
UPDATE: Problem solved! The USB cable end that was plugged into my old i560 had a flared shoulder that prevented it's complete insertion into the MX310. Trimming off the excess plastic allowed the plug to seat properly and now my PC and I are happy!
I know what you mean, I had the same problem with mini-usb cable and portable hdd drive.

sllowmail

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try to download IP tool Canon to reset your PG40, PG41 cartridges, it really works.

Prima

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
With IP tool can reset cartridge PG-40, PG-50, CL-41, CL-51 to be full ink indicator like new cartridge but the remaining ink turn down faster than new cartridge original so ink indicator on the monitor is not same with amount ink in the cartridge after full refilled.

sllowmail

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It does not matter as long as the printer works. What is more important is cost saving. Don't you agree?