Refilling the new Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51

melkin1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi HEADPHONESMAN,
I found this explanation of what to do with the Canon mp210 carts hope this solves your problem.

If they are recognized in 1800 etc that means that they're ok (just run a test to make sure). MP210 is mean in a way that when you'll install a refill the machine stops (sometimes displays crap like E13 or sth like that), and basically waits for your confirmation that you want it to use those weird things you've just put in.
Press and hold stop/resume button (lower right hand corner of the printer) for like 6s. Done. Tried and tested, we had loads of customers coming back to us, not anymore.
PS. Obviously, ink levels still won't be shown.

Regards
Melkin1

melkin1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi HEADPHONESMAN,
I found this explanation of what to do with the Canon mp210 carts hope this solves your problem.

If they are recognized in 1800 etc that means that they're ok (just run a test to make sure). MP210 is mean in a way that when you'll install a refill the machine stops (sometimes displays crap like E13 or sth like that), and basically waits for your confirmation that you want it to use those weird things you've just put in.
Press and hold stop/resume button (lower right hand corner of the printer) for like 6s. Done. Tried and tested, we had loads of customers coming back to us, not anymore.

Regards
Melkin1

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
melkin1 said:
hi HEADPHONESMAN,

Regards
Melkin1
Hi Melkin1 ,
I am sorry your advice to me is a bit of a mystery , (I also note you have a similar ID to melkin the Inkjet Master , any relation?). can you please direct me to the date in this thread where I queried a problem with a Canon mp210 cart. ?

regards
headphonesman

RSole

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi headphonesman,
So, how are those refilled carts-with-the-integrated-head holding out? You first refilled them in 2006, reported back to us in 2007, what about up to now? Any head failures?
Also, I have a (possibly stupid) question. What is the purpose of the foam? My old i560 carts had an empty reservoir, then a foam filled section. I just bought a Canon MX310 with the CL 41 cart. What would happen if the foam is removed to allow more ink storage? Or, if the foam stops the ink from leaking out with capillary action with the foam, if one just removes the top half of the foam?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
RSole said:
Hi headphonesman,
So, how are those refilled carts-with-the-integrated-head holding out? You first refilled them in 2006, reported back to us in 2007, what about up to now? Any head failures?
Also, I have a (possibly stupid) question. What is the purpose of the foam? My old i560 carts had an empty reservoir, then a foam filled section. I just bought a Canon MX310 with the CL 41 cart. What would happen if the foam is removed to allow more ink storage? Or, if the foam stops the ink from leaking out with capillary action with the foam, if one just removes the top half of the foam?
The foam stops leaks, but don't take my word for it I never tried to remove it. Why don't you make an experiment and post back with your results.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile said:
RSole said:
Hi headphonesman,
The foam stops leaks, but don't take my word for it I never tried to remove it. Why don't you make an experiment and post back with your results.
Hi RSole and Smile:

regarding the MP 150 I disposed of the 1st machine about a year ago (I had used it so much and reset the "ink tank full "so often that it did pose an ink threat spillage ...and i mothballed its replacement about 6 months ago. (I had to get use out of my use my 4x 4200`s , that were gathering dust in storage). The MP150 was only supposed to be an everyday cheap and cheerful machine which it did admirably. The printhead carts are definitely reuseable..........but they do have a finite life......but with care they can be refilled many times before giving up, well worth the effort , when you consider the price of Canon and Compatable replacements. I bought some empty carts off e-bay ....all these had some or all of the channels dry....an intensive Deep clean or 2 got them all working again. During the whole of the period too date from 2006 I only bought 1 set (compatable) from Tesco Supermarket , (they were Canon that had been "recycled" . The MP150 and its carts are now being kept as emergency standby , it was retired for print quality/facilities reasons rather than failure of carts.
Yes you could probably take the foam out but it would be very messy putting the cart in , the back and forwards motion could slop and mix the contents, , the only advantage gained (less frequent need to re-fill ) would be negated by the loss of spilt ink and the time spent in cleaning up yourself and the printer..............but hey ! go ahead ! live in the Fast Lane !!

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
Yes you could probably take the foam out but it would be very messy putting the cart in , the back and forwards motion could slop and mix the contents, , the only advantage gained (less frequent need to re-fill ) would be negated by the loss of spilt ink and the time spent in cleaning up yourself and the printer..............but hey ! go ahead ! live in the Fast Lane !!
Yes, this is my assertion as well even though I don't have direct experience with the PG/CL series of cartridges. The cartridge has a hole on the top for venting, and a series of holes in the bottom. They are designed to drip, specifically 30pl drops for pigment, 2pl and 5pl for color. You take out the sponge, gravity will do it's job and it'll drip.

While spongeless cartridges exist, they are a complex chain of chambers.

The sponge serves a VERY useful purpose.

Now, one could consider a CIS kit for the Canon.
http://www.asianproducts.com/product_0/CIS-DIY-Kits_P12054898172523985.htm

But the canons don't lend them selves well to CIS solutions.

Epsons are far better at CIS units than Canon.

RSole

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
IGExpandingPanda and headphonesman,

Thanks for all your help, I am going to keep the MX310 with the CL-41 cart, which seems quite reliable from what you guys tell me. I am sure the cart will be available far into the future so I will always be able to have functioning heads (or until the next, better $30 printer deal shows up).

As far as removing the foam, I learned that it serves to maintain a slight negative pressure on the ink, preventing it from just pouring out the bottom. If it were a "sloshing" issue then just layer of foam at the top would prevent this. headphonesman, you topped up the ink just to the point of covering the foam, what happened if you slightly overfilled it? Did it immediately leak out the bottom? If not then it's possible that cartridges with integrated heads won't leak. The foam is put there for a reason, though, and I fear I will find out why when I remove it. I will post my finding here though it may be a few weeks from now.

RSole

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That Dutch link (http://www.videolandrefill.nl/i/reset/canon_pg_cl.pdf)
I have translated it below.

The printer does not recognize the refilled cartridge? Try cleaning the contact points on the cartridge and then the contacts on the printer with alcohol and soft tissue.

To reset the ink level meters (method 1)
Note! These methods may not work on all cartridges. If method one does not work, try method 2 or just permanently deactivate the ink meters.

1. Place a thin strip of clear sticky tape to cover just the top horizontal row of contacts (image 1)
2. Reinstall cartridge and close cover.
3. The printer will now start moving, but wait until the display (on PC or printer??) shows that the "inkpatroon??" is installed incorrectly. Click OK.
4. Open the cover and remove the cartridge again.
5. Remove the tape and place it over the second row of contacts (image 2)
6. Reinstall the cartridge and close the cover. The printer will again move and eventually the display will show that the cartridge cannot be recognized. Click OK.
7. Remove the cartridge for the last time
8. Remove the tape, clean off any adhesive residue and reinstall the cartridge.
9. The printer will now show the cartridge as new and full.

Depending on the type of cartridge (color, black or photo) there may be more or less rows of contacts. Always cover the top or second row of contacts as indicated. (my, the translator's, note: In spite of what is says above, step 1 below says to cover the bottom row of contacts)

Resetting of ink level meters (method2)
Works poorly in some cases

1. Cover the bottom row of contacts with a thin strip of tape.
2. Reinstall cartridge and close cover.
3. The printer will now start moving, but wait until the display (on PC or printer??) shows that the "inkpatroon??" is installed incorrectly. Click OK.
4. Open the cover and remove the cartridge again.
5. Remove the tape and place it over the top row of contacts (image 1)
6. Reinstall the cartridge and close the cover. The printer will again move and eventually the display will show that the cartridge cannot be recognized. Click OK.
7. Remove the cartridge for the last time
8. Remove the tape, clean off any adhesive residue and reinstall the cartridge.
9. The printer will now show the cartridge as new and full.

If a refilled cartridge still shows as empty, try removing both cartridges and use method 1 simultaneously on both cartridges.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
RSole said:
Thanks for all your help, I am going to keep the MX310 with the CL-41 cart, which seems quite reliable from what you guys tell me. I am sure the cart will be available far into the future so I will always be able to have functioning heads (or until the next, better $30 printer deal shows up).
Since you are committed, you may wish to pickup a spare if they are still $30.00.

Simply put, while the 40/41 cartridges are not the fullest, they are like $58.58 as a set. Even a set of the even smaller pg-30/cl-31 will run you $42. $30.00 is a good deal cheaper. $30.00 for something with a document feeder, well, that's rather stellar.

While I'm not a fan of these models, their output is on par with their older generation of printers, the ip3000/i850/i560. These are nothing to sneeze at.

Do take the time to document how many refills you get/cartridge. Someone like my self will presume you'll enjoy less life than simple cartridges, but this might prove to be incorrect.