Refilling the new Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Refer to your user manual. Pages 72-75. The section about printing with an empty cartridge. Canon tells you exactly how to print with an empty cartridge............which a refilled cartridge is. The ink level monitor is permanently expired on these cartridges.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Inksters. Been reading and learning from you guys. I never knew how much is really going on in my old printer. I have two oldies ..an HP cse960 still cranking after 6 years and a Canon i960 which I dearly love...except it just started smearing magenta all over our expensive photo paper so here I am wading in with this wonderful informative venue! I washed the printer head with hot water and blew compressed air and all that and it has helped some but not back to what it was yet. In the meantime since I have a ton of Cartridges( BCI-6) stacked up on my shelves I went into canon's site and to my surprise found out that, in their wisdom, they phased out that wonderful individual ink cart system. But hey, I did find a site that sold me a new( in the box) ip600d which seems to use the same Carts as my i960. Have I given up on the i960? Heck no..Next I'm going to do the check the flush thing and do that purge recommended by inkmaster. There is another question I have, and that is about the printer heads on the two printers ...I960 and the one coming by UPS. I was wondering since they both use the same BCI-6 cart system, would the heads be the same? There is a difference in the Model numbers...I960 is ( QY8-0043-000) and the ip6000d is printer head model nbr (QY6-0050-000). Anyone know? Also , while I'm at it here, do any of you recommend one of those CIS continuous Ink Supply deals? And those tubes that can stop the ink flow when they get clogged, wow, who knew? Is there any way to soak them clean or do we have to take them all apart? I'd probably never get it back together ( smile) Last of all, is it just me or do all of you guys have the same feeling of wonder and abandonment with what the printer manufacturer's are doing with these chips that stop your paid for printer after so many prints? And what a black mark on some of the companys that sell you a printer cheap and then hammer you on ink prices. I went to WalMart the other day and, not that i'd want one
but they we're selling a lexmark for 23 dollars..the whole deal with ink and all and the new carts were 5 bucks more, making it cheaper to just buy a new printer each time the ink ran out. ok..now I'm rambling...Thanks for this venue guys and I will be looking all the replys over...Warm regards to all...outoftheinkwell

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Different heads and not interchangeable. You can buy a new printhead for the i960. I bought one from http://www.inkcessories.com/ and the printer worked just fine with the new head. Lexmark inkjet printers don't enjoy the best reputation. You are right about the sales model of a reasonable price for the printer and getting hammered on the ink cost. Yes - everyone who knows much about these printers resents the addition of chips, the purpose of which is to prevent aftermarket carts from being manufactured or carts being refilled. You were lucky to score an ip6000! Got to keep these older canons working as long as possible!!!

tonymc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi folks,

As a newbie to the forums, apologies for prolonging this thread.

I have refilled the black cartridge on my Pixma ip6210D, but despite following the advice on this post, it is still failing to print.

The 6210 does not appear to have a page feed button, and when I set it to print, although it flags up a warning message that the black ink is out, it still tries to print but produces a blank page.

I have also checked the user manual, but the CD based version supplied with the printer does not seem to have a section on printing with an empty cartridge.

Any further suggestions (including drop-kicking said printer from first floor window!!) would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
tonymc

Do you get a good blot of ink when a blot test is done with the cartridge? If not, there is no ink flowing from the cartridge. If there is ink flow, is the cartridge seated correctly. Also check to make sure there is no damage inside the cartridge holder, sometimes a spring will come loose and pierce the circuit, or a piece of plastic breaks off somewhere , and the cartridge isn't held against the circuit inside the cartridge older.

tonymc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tigerwan said:
tonymc

Do you get a good blot of ink when a blot test is done with the cartridge? If not, there is no ink flowing from the cartridge. If there is ink flow, is the cartridge seated correctly. Also check to make sure there is no damage inside the cartridge holder, sometimes a spring will come loose and pierce the circuit, or a piece of plastic breaks off somewhere , and the cartridge isn't held against the circuit inside the cartridge older.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no blot of ink anywhere!! Looks as if it may be a blockage. :( Will try to dismantle the cartridge tomorrow.

Thanks again.

somebodyhere

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
do you guys use pigment or dye refill ink for the black cartridge?

is there any good & cheap refill / bulk ink in mind? i live in australia
i dont really care about quality as long as it works and doesnt damage the printhead

tonymc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tonymc said:
Hi folks,

As a newbie to the forums, apologies for prolonging this thread.

I have refilled the black cartridge on my Pixma ip6210D, but despite following the advice on this post, it is still failing to print.

The 6210 does not appear to have a page feed button, and when I set it to print, although it flags up a warning message that the black ink is out, it still tries to print but produces a blank page.

I have also checked the user manual, but the CD based version supplied with the printer does not seem to have a section on printing with an empty cartridge.

Any further suggestions (including drop-kicking said printer from first floor window!!) would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Hi,

I posted this last year and until recently have managed to get by with using two cartridges and rotating them.

However, this week has seen a message appearing in a dialogue box stating that:

"The function for detecting the remaining ink level will be disabled since the ink level cannot be correctly detected.

If you want to continue printing without this feature, press the printer's ok button."

I've tried pressing this, but all it does is print any text but black.

I've been through this thread trying "fixes" suggested for other Pixmas but with no success.

Can anyone help??

many thanks.

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
somebodyhere said:
do you guys use pigment or dye refill ink for the black cartridge?

is there any good & cheap refill / bulk ink in mind? i live in australia
i dont really care about quality as long as it works and doesnt damage the printhead
Fellow Aussie here.

PLEASE, for the love of god. DO NOT buy ink from any store in Australia. It is all garbage. Jet tec sell some, but its generic stuff so a big no no. Pelikin sell some...also REALLY terrible ( same people who make those "power pads" for Cli-8 carts)

Your best bet is to buy online, or though someone reputable on ebay. I use Ink Power compatibles ( which use G & G ink ) that I purchase through their online store.

melkin1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi HEADPHONESMAN,
I found this explanation of what to do with the Canon mp210 carts hope this solves your problem.

If they are recognized in 1800 etc that means that they're ok (just run a test to make sure). MP210 is mean in a way that when you'll install a refill the machine stops (sometimes displays crap like E13 or sth like that), and basically waits for your confirmation that you want it to use those weird things you've just put in.
Press and hold stop/resume button (lower right hand corner of the printer) for like 6s. Done. Tried and tested, we had loads of customers coming back to us, not anymore.
PS. Obviously, ink levels still won't be shown.

Regards
Melkin1