Refilling the new Canon PG-40, PG-50, CL 41 and CL 51

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Still going Strong...41 and 51 carts in a MP150

Please note that I have been using the same carts since August 2006 . They have had countless re-fills. Where a color has "run out" (its happened about half a dozen times for each color) , the color has been re-filled immediately and the head has not suffered.

However I now keep them topped up on a regular basis to avoid going "dry". The printer has been heavily used, mainly with 6x4 and A4 color prints. (every week).
There is a question mark has to how robust these heads/carts are , in my experience to date they appear to be quite robust. I purchased 4 other empty sets off e-bay as back up they are still waiting to be used,( they are charged with ink.) . I use the cheapest supermarket type re-fill ink.

I would be interested to hear if any other re-fillers of 40/50 or 41/51 carts have had a failure and to what they might think caused the failure. I have been using the top taken off method (secured back in place with an elastic band.). I now fill a to bit more "saturation" of the sponge, enough to "color" all over surface but not remain "wet".

matthijsf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

nice topic!, i've read all the messages :) I just bought the Pixma mp160 for 69 Euro, it uses the same cartridges as the above described mp150..
Before the mp160 I had an ip2000, with cartridges that were easy to refill (BCI-24).
I am from the Netherlands and googled for refill info for the Cartridges described in the topic title, and that is the way i found this forum and topic.
About the refilling.. it is said many times in this topic that it is not possible to reset the cartridge, although there is a Dutch Site with info about resetting these cartridges .. the link is: http://www.videolandrefill.nl/i/reset/canon_pg_cl.pdf (also a way to dissable the ink monitor :))

It is now pretty late here (2:00) .. so I am going to bed.. If someone cannot read the Dutch in the pdf-file I can help (or you can use a website like: http://www.freetranslation.com/ ).

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here's another method that someone claims to work.

Can someone try this and report back?

After you refill them, during some point the printer will stop printing, saying the cartridge is empty, when we know it isnt because we had just refilled it. What you need to do is take the cartridge out of the machine, turn the power off, turn the power back on, re-install the cartridge and hit the resume button the printer will reset itself so you can start printing again. This has happened to me 2 times since I have refilled them. Again, all I did was remove the cartridge, turned the power off, waited a minute, turned the power back on, re-installed the cartridge, and hit the resume button.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling, I am assuming that it is best to perform this procedure before the printer asks you to confirm the nullification of the warranty. When the time comes I will try it on my ip6600d. Maybe someone will report on it sooner than that.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
WhiteDog said:
Mikling, I am assuming that it is best to perform this procedure before the printer asks you to confirm the nullification of the warranty. When the time comes I will try it on my ip6600d. Maybe someone will report on it sooner than that.
Mikling . I am assuming this also . My understanding is that the physical ink level is never monitored on these carts, only the set number of firings for the head being reached, and asking for replacement of the cart. (and loss of warranty if overridden )

If retention of warranty is of paramount importance, then any fix to retain it would have its merits, but thats all it would do , it would still continue to request replacement of carts at its appropriate intervals.

My point is that the fix would appear to have a limited usefullness , i.e. the life of the warranty of the machine, or is there another advantage that I have missed?.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I really don't know. I got this info from another forum and the contributor says it works.

On the PG40 and integrated head cartridges I cannot see Canon claiming warranty issues because the worst that can happen is that in the absence of ink the printhead dies. But the printhead was pronounced dead by Canon as soon as the ink monitor said so. So what further damage can be caused to the printer by running a refilled?

As to the dutch instructions I gather it wants you to do a similar trick like the HPs with a difference.

Tape, install, print a test page and when the error shows up you remove the cartridge and turn the printer off ( pull plug?). Tape in second position. repeat and finally put in untaped cartridge. In each case turning off was the key.

Now in the dutch instructions I can't make out the ink monitor issue which pretty much could amount to nothing if they don't reset that.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I spoke with someone who tried the taping on the dutch link. Apparently it froze his printer and rendered it useless after that thus necessitating a new printer. So if bad things happen.......

I think it's better to let the ink monitor sleep and be done with it.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just had my first (and only) CL-41 colored cart die on me. Well, not actually dead, but the yellow is starting to show streaks. This is funny, since when refilling, I notice the magenta and cyan needing more ink than the yellow chamber, but yellow is the first one starting to go. I've had this cart since October 06, never ran dry, and printing out a page or two and doing maintenance work every Sunday. Cleaning and Deep Cleaning don't help.

I guess it's time to retire this cart...

Or maybe I have to re-research the "how to unclog the printhead" threads here again. Hmmm... been gone a while.

roverol

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I from Spain sorry for mi english.

I have a problem with mp150. The PG-40 and CL-41 are empty. I have filled up both but not like reset the mp150. the light B and C are alwais ignited and dont print nothing.

Can be put to zero the accountant?

if somebody has made it could explain it to me.

Thanks and a greeting

rOV