Refiller For The Canon Pro1 Pgi-29 Tanks

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes I was just surprised to have found anything for the PRO1 and agree with your findings upon closer examination.

The other link I had also seen as well. So I am curious, are these 100% third party already? One time use chips? It just says with chip.
But still a good price if the inks can measure up!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman said:
Yes I was just surprised to have found anything for the PRO1 and agree with your findings upon closer examination.

The other link I had also seen as well. So I am curious, are these 100% third party already? One time use chips? It just says with chip.
But still a good price if the inks can measure up!
I got the supply of PGI-29 ink tanks in from China that Id ordered and swaped the chips over to my OEM ink tanks and held back the compatibles till use later.

I dont want to mix the ink with the I.S. ink already inside the printer but I intend to test it out on my 9500 (Thats for another day).
Chip removal is always easy on the Canon cartridges but reinstalling the 3rd party chips on these tanks was a proper bitch.

The backs of the replacement chips are much larger than the OEMs and I had to trim a little bit from both sides of the channel that the chip sits in, that then made them fit snugly.

5128_chip_position.jpg

I did that twelve times which it took (To long) and got all but one of the carts with the led lighting working but it didnt seem to bother the print monotor in any way.

I think I may have damaged the led on the new chip installing it so many times because it took me four attempts to cut the hole large enough to get it to fit. (It was the first one)

Now that my ink monitoring is back up and working again I want to see if the printer is as wasteful with the ink as it was before, lets hope Ive cured it of its thirsty ways.

5128_pro_1_inks_full.png

Ill only know what type of chips Im using when I pull out some of the carts to refill them,
if they stay at the same level (Its a onetime chip) and if they reset then (Its ARCs), fingers crossed..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I have a few of questions.
You mentioned you are using IS inks on your refilled PGI-29 carts. Are you using inks form the IS ink set for the PRO 95000MKII? What did you use for the 5 blacks? The 9500 inkset only has three blacks right?
What are you using for the Chroma Optimizer?
Are the Chinese carts that you ordered one time use only of are they refillable. Are the chips one time use or ARC?

I am thinking about the PRO-1 as future consideration but will it possibly print as good with IS inks as with OEM?

Thanks

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes I am using the ink set from the 9500, I am using the same mid grey for all three greys (Light / Mid / Dark) in the Pro 1, its a bit of a compromise at the moment but the proper inks will be available in time. (Re- profile)

I will be able to tell you more as to what type of chips Ive gotten soon, as I said earlier I think there just one-time (un-resettable), I am very happy using this current I.S. ink set at the moment in it.

I intend to test the inks I got from China later in the 9500 and do a comparison with my current I.S. inks..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Reprofiling for the greys does not fix the B&W mode, which is one of the features of the Pro-1.... The copying of the Epson Advanced B&W feature. The effect of this will be more pronounced on high grade photo paper and to the serious B&W enthusiast. It is possible that less or even none of the lighter shades of grey is used on low resolution papers such as cardstock or plain paper.... You need to test this carefully.

Try this for starters: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/black_and_white_test.html

Even when reprofiling for mismatched grays, in the color mode you need to watch out for something called reversion which which can create banding in gradients if the samples around that color is limited. Reversion also occurs on color printing as well. For example, not using the lighter shades in the photo colors, but use all dark magenta and cyans and then profile and see what the compromise is. Recursion simplistically is when the darker shades hand off to the lighter shades to print and you get a dual ownership band of shades where same shades are printed over again during this handoff. You need to think about the process of passing the baton from dark ink to the lighter ink and the lighter ink is too dark so it replicates the shades that the darker ink has already processed BEFORE the handoff. Profiling cannot fix this easily.

Grandad was the first one to point out the potential of recursion on printing years ago when he experienced it with his i9900 with mismatched versions of his colors. I have also run into it as well. The degree of effect will vary depending on the mismatch and how the printer uses the various shades and what colors it is asked to reproduce in the image and the skill of the observer.

You know that the beauty of B&W is all about the subtlety and nuance of shading...so be careful of this. if you're printing run of the mill stuff you might not notice it.

Remember, we're dealing with a top performance printer here that is supposed to be superior to the 9500. We're dealing with high performance printers and like all high performance machines, you can't get the performance unless you use proper stuff. Like putting on minivan tyres on a Lotus. Let's see how fast you can corner now.

I don't own a Pro-1 but I am letting you on what to look for and the potential pitfalls.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman
Are the Chinese carts that you ordered one time use only of are they refillable. Are the chips one time use or ARC?
Just up-date on newly acquired Compatible chips

I tried out the Chinese chips today and got several of the tanks down to 50% but when I refilled and pop them back into the printer again the still registered 50%.

So now I know there're all one time non resettable chips.

jtoolman I am thinking about the PRO-1 as future consideration but will it possibly print as good with IS inks as with OEM?
I run my 9500 and pro 1 together side by side on the same print jobs using the same I.S. inks and there is no difference in their output, but I have to say that I am only printing coloured flyers and posters,
mikling I don't own a Pro-1 but I am letting you on what to look for and the potential pitfalls.
You know that the beauty of B&W is all about the subtlety and nuance of shading...
so be careful of this. if you're printing run of the mill stuff you might not notice it.
I did mention profiling earlier but I never use any and dont need to for my line of work.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hat, you are runnin IS ink set on both printers side by side. But was there any differences when you were running your original OEM PRO-1 ink set and the 9500MKII? Is the ink delivery and dot placement technology the real secret of the PRO-1?

If I could get the type of results talked about by many simply printing through the PS plugin that would be enough for me.
I saw a video review by Adorama where a head shot of a model holding a Passport Color Checker was printed using standard settings and the resulting print it looked, at least on the video to be a perfect match to the actual Color Checker card held next to it.

My interest is whether IS inks in the PRO-1, or the currently available China compatible carts would compare to the reported amazing results being obtained with OEM inks.
Once a resettable chip and the extra gray shades become available it will be a no brainer for me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I couldnt tell you exactly because I didnt take that much notice at the time.

To be perfectly honest to get the results that youre looking for from such a professional printer,
putting the I.S. 9500 ink set in the Pro 1 is a complete joke. (Even with profiling)

If you were just a 50% photo perfectionist I reckon the results would still not be up to your standards
and youd be better off waiting on a dedicated ink set to be formulated for the printer.

I havent tried the Chinese ink yet, it may be good ink or it could be absolute crap only time will tell,
with about 25 ml of ink still in the CISS tubes it would take some time for new ink to work its way through to the print head.

I wouldnt mind trying it if I had OEM ink in the CISS tubes but I dont so I am not about to mix two different 3rd party inks together in case the react to each other and coagulate inside the print head.

I am very happy with the I.S. ink I use at the moment so I am in no hurry to change something that is working for me, (I dont do Photos)

The Chinese inks may well be a very good match to OEM inks, but I have no way of knowing that yet or that it is even true pigment and I dont want to start knocking it before I try it for sure..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hopefully Canon with combo this printer with one of their premium cameras as they did in the past with the 9000 and 9500MKII and PRO-1 will be showing up on EBAY and Craigs list.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Had a few queries about the Pro1 recently so wondered how the testing was going... especially with the Chinese stuff... Joy or nay?