Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I didn't run cleaning in a row and did it few hours apart. Using canon inks
The User Manual for your printer states

1623338974929.png

Deep cleaning generates heat and stress on the print head. Heat can kill nozzles. and reason to be most judicious with Deep Cleanings.

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-200 series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_cleaning.html

Attachments

• 1623339056645.png
    1623339056645.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 169

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
This guy has been posting on dpreview as well. I recommended he change the tanks to new ones. On DPreview https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65216970 the picture clearly shows ink starvation somewhere that is not revealed perfectly in the nozzle check, If the starvation does not go away, he is left with one conclusion. Bad printhead or damaged printhead. I also explained why the OEM tanks can be at fault, and people should take note of this. THIS is the risk that Canon took when they removed the prisms on their tanks. I suspect some printing was done with empty tanks and since it was all OEM. This should be on Canon for a warranty. If the printer is under warranty, I expect Canon will honor the warranty.
Otherwise he is left to attempt printhead cleanins outside the printer. BUT the Chromalife Yellow and water does not mix well so he has to use something of a mild detergent to flush out the yellow before moving towards cleaning and flushing.
I explained in dPreview why it is clearly tank/printhead related.

The User Manual for your printer states

View attachment 12273

Deep cleaning generates heat and stress on the print head. Heat can kill nozzles. and reason to be most judicious with Deep Cleanings.

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-200 series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_cleaning.html
Thank you, I did deep cleaning on the suggestion of Canon support. Will wait until I get the new ink to try anything else with the printer as suggested by Mike.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The print exited from the top end where the flower starts.
Ink starvation is an explanation except I would not expect a pause in the banding at the bottom of the page when the cartridge has had prolonged demands. Nor would I expect the frequency of banding to increase, then disappear altogether, and then return despite the image being relatively constant in the ink required.

It is reasonable to try a new cartridge(s) to see if the issue of ink starvation is the culprit. Those density alterations in the latticework of the colors may resolve, for instance.

You can also try cleaning the electrical contacts on the cartridges, the print head and the print head carriage. Use a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol or use a soft pencil eraser.

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
Ink starvation is an explanation except I would not expect a pause in the banding at the bottom of the page when the cartridge has had prolonged demands. Nor would I expect the frequency of banding to increase, then disappear altogether, and then return despite the image being relatively constant in the ink required.

It is reasonable to try a new cartridge(s) to see if the issue of ink starvation is the culprit. Those density alterations in the latticework of the colors may resolve, for instance.

You can also try cleaning the electrical contacts on the cartridges, the print head and the print head carriage. Use a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol or use a soft pencil eraser.
Appreciate your help. I Will try with new ink tanks and update back.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Would appreciate any advice.
The simplest answer is the head is slightly damaged and is unlikely to get any better, there could be a number of causes because @kssharma is a novice and probably doesn’t know either, the unknown pops up again and trying to guess at an answer is fruitless.

But I suspect this printer was faulty when @kssharma received it, so he should return it or get a free new print head, or have the credit card refund the amount paid in full, otherwise he could be pissing up a rope for weeks.. maybe not what you wanted to hear.. Sorry..:mad:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
But I suspect this printer was faulty when @kssharma received it
No suspicion needed. OP answered my question and it was bad since Day 1. Return/dispute on the purchase or warranty tech support if valid is the way to go.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I Will try with new ink tanks and update back.
Unless you were informed of the issue prior to purchase, you should first talk with the seller. You said the printer was malfunctioning since Day 1.

Did you know of this printing defect before purchase?

Before spending more money you should either return the printer to seller for refund/exchange, dispute the purchase with seller/the marketplace/your credit card company OR call Canon tech support if still under warranty.

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
The simplest answer is the head is slightly damaged and is unlikely to get any better, there could be a number of causes because @kssharma is a novice and probably doesn’t know either, the unknown pops up again and trying to guess at an answer is fruitless.

But I suspect this printer was faulty when @kssharma received it, so he should return it or get a free new print head, or have the credit card refund the amount paid in full, otherwise he could be pissing up a rope for weeks.. maybe not what you wanted to hear.. Sorry..:mad:
It’s alright.

I came here to find help and the real issue, however, bad it maybe.

I purchased this printer from someone and probably will have to dispose since canon will not honor warranty without the original receipt which I don’t have.

I’ll open a case with PayPal to see if I have protection as I paid through PayPal invoice for this purchase. But trying my best to find if it can be resolved before I do so.

thank you for your comment. Stay safe!

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
Unless you were informed of the issue prior to purchase, you should first talk with the seller. You said the printer was malfunctioning since Day 1.

Did you know of this printing defect before purchase?

Before spending more money you should either return the printer to seller for refund/exchange, dispute the purchase with seller/the marketplace/your credit card company OR call Canon tech support if still under warranty.
The seller told me the printer is as good as new and mentioned same in the listing. I even specifically asked him about print head and he said there is absolutely no issue with it .

But it wasn’t as it happened from the first picture I printed. Will dispute the purchase with PayPal as I have all the listing details and my communication with the seller.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I purchased this printer from someone and probably will have to dispose since canon will not honor warranty without the original receipt which I don’t have.
If the seller won’t give you the receipt, (PDF) then ask where they bought it, and then pass on that information to Canon, then they may honour the warrantee, all you’ll need is Date, Time and place.. Good Luck..

P.S. Stop doing Deep head cleans, they can be destructive..

Last edited:

Latest posts