PGI-525 and CLI-526

twoob

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Reply to #49 & #50.

My tips/observations were specifically for the refillable cartridges of the type chang was asking about.
I've not used any other method.

When I refilled the cartridges there was no noticble leak from them, I think refilling them in situ on the printhead
is probably doable although I think it would be easier refilling them outside the printer. I will try it next time and report back.

Why not carry a printer from room to room? I haven't got a hernia :lol:

The BLUNT piece of wire.
You can't really push the rubber plug that seals the top refilling port fully home by just thumb pressure.
There is a deep indentation in the the plugs where you can insert a blunt wire and effectively pull them into
the cartridge. This is recomended in the instructions.

With a bit of practice I think you could refill the 5 cartridges in 20 minutes.

I read through quiet a fair bit of the more recent stuff here on the forum, particually stuff pertinant to the CL-526 cartridges.
This system seems to work for the CL-526 (if it doesn't I'll be able to tell you) so why go for anything more complicated.

Remember what that bloke on that 80's american cop show "Hunter" use to say? "Works for me".

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
twoob
I am glad youre happy with your refillable cartridges and the quality of the inks.
Its also nice to hear of your almost perfect portable refilling method (Works for you).

Everyone on this forum trys to enlighten all our newbies to the best practices on refilling, quality ink,
and above all to circumvent trouble long before it can kill their print head or printer.

There are numerous threads on the difficulties of refilling 526 cartridges including your very own and how to overcome them.
As these cartridges are designed to prevent the use of 3rd party inks their users are looking for an alternative
way to get round this problem and the 521s seems the most practicable way, theres nothing complicated about that.

Isnt nice to know that guys can still print quality at a fraction of the cost despite the
manufacturers attempts to prevent it, happy printing everyone.. :)

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When I finally solved my Brother's MFC-440CN problem with cheap ink and got profiled my usual papers (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6333), a new MX870 came along for less than 115 at MediaMarkt :) :( (I'm just plain confused :/, really don't know if I'm happy or sad).

Well, my cartridges are black, but they have a window on ink side (sponge side is totally black).

Will I have trouble using German method, or should I expect the cartridge to be the same as before?

Follow up: Got it! Sorry, I've seen many post with pictures, but only with full transparent cartridges!!! Until now...

joseph1949 said:
If you have one of the newer Canon printers I suggest that you see if you have a problem with the clearance of the print head and the case of the printer. If you have a problem it is best that you use the german method in filling the carts. If the newer printers are like my PIXMA MX870 printer you will have a clearance problem with the print head and the case and with the jerkiness of the print head.
Joseph,
eBay item 370479042889 seems to have recessed plugs to solve this problem (at least black cartridges).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
I see its delayed by yet another month, till (week18) :(
Not a massive surprise but the only delay I've been informed of to date.

We were looking at end of April already anyway, so a week or so is not going to break the bank...

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Armars ... where are you located?

In the USA, the MX882 comes with PGI-225 and CLI-226, according to Canon's website. I suppose it comes with PGI-525 and CLI-526 carts in other markets.

I believe that different markets will require different resetters. Bummer. I don't think that was the case with CLI-8/PGI-5 generation printers. I believe that became a factor with the 220/221 generation printers (520/521?).

Also, consider updating your profile to indicate location, printer(s), and other refilling-related info. "Help us help you."

BTW,
Another factor might be that initial resetters could be pricey. I've seen 220/221 resetters that are about $70, which I think reflects "early adapter" pricing. The R&D needs to be covered for a viable company that will still be here in 5 years.