PGI-525 and CLI-526

dabrik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks gigigogu! So you think that compatibles use an OEM chip? I ask that because I've got a 525/526 redsetter and I read that it works only on OEM chips.
BTW I don't really trust compatibles ink-wise, I've had clogging problems in the past and when I tried to get some info about the origin of ink they used the question just went un-answered.... Have you got any links to reliable compatibles?
Many thanks!

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, the chips on compatibles are not OEM.
Recently I bought a used printer with compatible 520/521 cartridges, and a resetter (not ReDsetter) borrowed from somebody resetted them just fine.
So a compatible chip may or may not be resetted. I am not sure but is possible that the above mentioned compatibles are SPEED brand.
The problem with compatible cartridges is not mainly the ink quality but poor behavior at refilling (happened to me too). But as log you use them once then just keep the chip (if can be resetted) it would be fine.
I am sorry I do not have any link for good compatibles.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
dabrik said:
Thanks gigigogu! So you think that compatibles use an OEM chip? I ask that because I've got a 525/526 redsetter and I read that it works only on OEM chips.
If that's on my site then that's just that I'll only warranty against the REdSETTER resetting OEM chips... I can't guarantee it will reset 3rd party ones because they aren't necessarily always a match for the OEM but that doesn't say that it won't reset them :)

Hope that clarifies things a bit...

dabrik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes, Martin, the redsetter is from you, and I realise it may/may not reset compatible chips. Gigigogu, I've only used compatible carts a couple of times and it was rather deception, drying ink, color discrepancy... I gave up... Pay cheap pay twice... But if someone could lead me to a known source of good quality compatibles I'd surely be grateful/offering a bottle of good beer ;)
As I've mentioned before I had problems in the past while using unknown inks (clogged carts/heads) that's why I currently prefer using OEM chips and inks from identified proven sources.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
dabrik said:
But if someone could lead me to a known source of good quality compatibles I'd surely be grateful/offering a bottle of good beer ;)
As I've mentioned before I had problems in the past while using unknown inks (clogged carts/heads) that's why I currently prefer using OEM chips and inks from identified proven sources.
You'll get a better answer to your question if you tell us what country you reside in.

dabrik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
sorry, France. But I think there's no difference location wise, the post office rules :D

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
dabrik said:
sorry, France. But I think there's no difference location wise, the post office rules :D
Since the internet opens up the world to all of us, it comes down to shipping costs for many of us.

You might want to check out Druckerchannel for a review of compatables which might be common in the European market. They do reviews on compatibles for earlier model cartridges, such as the one for the 520/521 models found here . I use Google's Translate function to translate German into English. In the review of the 520/521 compatibles, Peach and Brewhouse were considered the best overall. Would these be the best choice for 525/526 compatibles, if they are even available, is unknown to me.

If you were to refill, I would suggest Octoinkjet for your refilling supplies. The owner is a forum member by the name websnail and he lives in England.

Hopefully someone else with specific knowledge will post more information for you. Let us know how things work out for you.

robosys

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
nice information sharing is did our here , the topic related to cheap ink cartridges,
printer ink is greatly helpful thanks for sharing

dabrik

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
dabrik said:
If you were to refill, I would suggest Octoinkjet for your refilling supplies. The owner is a forum member by the name websnail and he lives in England.

Hopefully someone else with specific knowledge will post more information for you. Let us know how things work out for you.
Thanks stratman for chiming in, guys on this forum are really helpful! I'll have a look at your link.
Actually I'm already a customer (a happy one:) ) of websnail ;)

twoob

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I remembered the other day that way back at posts #48 & #51 (March 2011) I said I would report back on -

Re: Ebay 370490891888 Refiiable cartridges. I bought a set of these for the i4850 (PGI-525 & CLI-526 cartridges) with the inks.
Well, I've used and refilled them about 10 times since then and not had any problems whatsoever. Definitely one of the better things I've bought
of Ebay.