PGI-525 and CLI-526

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try Octoinkjet since you live in UK.I live in Sweden and buy from Octoinkjet and I must admit that I am very happy with the result.Cant notice any difference from OEM ink.Very fair prices as well.
Bertil

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lent
Its only a matter of getting a set of 521/ 520 and replacing the chips
then youd be able to refill these cartridges with ease after their emptied.
The link below will help you to see how easy it is to remove the chip from the Canon cartridges..:)
Then follow Bertil's lead and get good quality ink from Octoinkjet and your laughing..
:)

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6360

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: This reply is for people who have an MGxxxx and iP48xx printer or intend to purchase said printers.

If you have one of the newer Canon printers I suggest that you see if you have a problem with the clearance of the print head and the case of the printer. If you have a problem it is best that you use the german method in filling the carts. If the newer printers are like my PIXMA MX870 printer you will have a clearance problem with the print head and the case and with the jerkiness of the print head. If you use the Top-Fill method to fill the cart the ink plug at the top of the ink tank will come loose and disappear into the internals of the printernot good.

If you insist in using a plug make it a soft rubber plug with the cap no more than 1/64 of an inch high. I would use a very small amount of hot glue to glue down the plug. Or you can just use hot glue for a plugno rubber or whatever plug is used. DO NOT USE a hard plastic plug. The hard plug will do harm to the printer. Please do this to one cart and see what happens. I would examine the cart on a daily basis to see if the plug is still there and/or if ink is leaking around the plug. Use a tissue to see if ink is leaking around the plug. If you see leakage, remove the plug and cover the hole with hot glue. Keep the thickness of the hot glue plug to a minimum. If you wait for the right moment (i.e. the glue will not stick to your finger) you can use your finger to press down on the glue so as to have the correct thickness (1/64 of an inch or less).

You can use hot glue to fill the german method hole. Some people use tape, but I believe in time the ink will loosen the tape and you will have a leak.

It has been said on this forum that the best way to fill a black (non see-through) cart is still up in the air. You cannot reset the chips and it is difficult to know when to fill the cart. You also cannot tell with any degree of certitude how much ink you should inject into the cart or how much ink is in the tank after you have injected ink into the cart. Remember the tank is non see-through!!!!

Based on the discussions on this forum the weighing the cart method is the best way (until something else comes along) to know how much ink is in the cart. In addition to the weigh method, I think you can also use the dipstick method to know how much ink is in the cart and how much ink you have injected into the cart. The dipstick method entails making a hole at the top of the ink tank and using a dipstick to check the level of the ink in the tank. I suggest that you might be able to use a piece of spaghetti (uncooked, please!!!) as a dipstick. A small pipette might work also. Please use hot glue to seal the hole!!!!!!

Yes, filling the new carts is a real pain. Canon is telling us that they do not like us using third party ink. Well, too bad. When their ink is priced reasonably I will consider using their ink again. But until then I will use third party ink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

chang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi - this is my first post here so hello everyone. I would like to know if these empty refillable cartridges are any good - Ebay item number 370490891888 or from their website linexports.com/en/product/item/1173/product_detail as they look very easy to fill. I am thinking of buying a Canon PIXMA MX885 so I do not know if there is room for these to fit with their fill hole plugs but I am willing to take that risk if they work well with Octoinkjets ink.

Thanks in advance

Rob

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Why don't you just refill your original cartridges that came with your printer? There are no compatibles that are any better and if you buy the ones from the eBay site, you will have to transfer the chips from your originals to the refillables anyway, so what's the point? I recommend that you refill using the German refill method which is very quick and you can prepare and refill each cartridge for the first time as they each become empty in just a couple minutes. You won't even have to buy or have any spares.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr I recommend that you refill using the German refill method which is very quick and you can prepare and refill each cartridge for the first time as they each become empty in just a couple minutes. You won't even have to buy or have any spares.
The problem that chang will face is that the cartridges on his printer are opaque so filling them will not be easy even if he uses the German filling method.
His best solution is to get a set of 521s after his current cartridges run out and start refilling them.. :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I hadn't realized that. What cartridges come with his printer? Will the 521 cartridges work in his printer as is or does he need to transfer the chips from his original cartridges?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ghwellsjr If you have a look at the earlier post #32 youll see where I mentioned having to change over the chip to lent ..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Ghwellsjr If you have a look at the earlier post #32 youll see where I mentioned having to change over the chip to lent ..
Ironically, it is Lent now.