PGI-525 and CLI-526

armars

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
* If you bought the 882 locally and there is a good return policy without an excessive restocking fee, I'd consider returning the 882, frankly. Sorry to be a "wet blanket". Let your conscience be your guide. My (admittedly uninformed) impression is that from a refilling perspective, the CLI-226 based printers are the worst one-color-per-cart inkjets Canon has ever made (the multi-color based printers like the CL41 are of course even worse). But if you do very little printing, perhaps doesn't matter?
I couldn't understand "are the worst one-color-per-cart inkjets Canon has ever made"
I cant refill them? even if i have auto-reset chips or reseter?

I like functions and design of my mx882 :(

why to return?

armars

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
Amars,

Unless you are expecting to only do a minimal amount of printing ... mostly text? ...
yes some books. research papers. copies/ I am a student

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
armars:

The MX882 looks to be a fine printer. If you like the functions and the print output, then do not be swayed by others. Like wine, go with what you like.

The exuberance of l_d_allan sometimes gets a bit too, um, exuberant at times. I don't think he means to hurt anyone. The issue "refillers" have with this model, and others that use the same chipped cartridge, is that the PGI-226 and CLI-225 chipped cartridges are more difficult to refill and keep track of fill amounts at this time.

First, the cartridges are opaque, so it is more difficult to determine how filled the cartridge is. This does complicate the typical visual method of refilling. Some workarounds for this are weighing the cartridge and comparing it to the weight of a new fully filled OEM cartridge. Also, some people take the chip off and attach it to a 220/221 cartridge which has a see through cartridge. Others are looking at burning or sanding away a part of the opaque layer so that a window of transparent cartridge is exposed - the ink lievel inside the cartridge can then be seen.

Second, there is no chip resetter available for these chips yet. It is rumored to be available this year, maybe next month. You still will need a way to gauge fill inside the cartridge, but at least you will have ink level monitoring again. Auto-set chips still require a way to monitor fill levels in the cartridges, so you're back to the "first" issues I mentioned above.

The chips are a weak link for your printer IF you want to refill. BUT, this can be surmounted with effort, or, you can continue to buy OEM Canon cartridges until aftermarket solutions appear.

A solution, or solutions, are forthcoming. It's just a matter of time. So enjoy your printer - it looks like a nice printer!

armars

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for detailed answer.

for now. if i disable ink monitoring for refilling without reseter. can than enable it again?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
armars said:
Thank you for detailed answer.

for now. if i disable ink monitoring for refilling without reseter. can than enable it again?
To my knowledge, every chipped cartridge printer allows one to disable ink level monitoring, which can then be returned to functioning for that color when a cartridge with a chip not marked as empty is inserted into the print head. If the resetter or arc-chips work for that specific chip/printer combination, then ink level monitoring will return to function.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
armars what you think. it's worth to buy?
Yes there great value but look at what youre getting first.
These cartridges dont come with chips so youll have to swap them from your OEM cartridges.

Youll also have no ink monitoring and will have to visually inspect them occasionally yourself.
The next thing is quality if pay too little they maybe incapable of doing the thing they were original bought to do.

There is no such thing in this life as a free lunch so let the buyer beware.
Ask yourself why OEM cartridges are about $15 each and then you might understand the meaning
of the word Quality because being a student it should come as a big learning curve.

For continued trouble free printing go with OEM cartridges and refill and you wont regret it.
stratman First, the cartridges are opaque, so it is more difficult to determine how filled the cartridge is.
This does complicate the typical visual method of refilling.
Some workarounds for this are weighing the cartridge and comparing it to the weight of a new fully filled OEM cartridge.
Also, some people take the chip off and attach it to a 220/221 cartridge which has a see through cartridge.
There wont be a resetter for these US based cartridges for quite some time so get a set of clear windowed 220/221 cartridges
and when the ink runs out on your 225/226s swap the chip then get yourself a refill kit with quality inks and youll have the perfect setup.

When the time comes for you to tackle your first refill everybody on here
will guide you through it step by step, all you have to do is ask ok.. :)

armars

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tnx.

Than suggest me please high quality empty 220/221 cartridges.