OCP K3 Vivid Magenta ink review

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Jose above you said you set the quadtone curves to give an even coverage of GO over the print so I'm confused how this method is any better than the filling the mat black cart in my Pro9500.
My one cart filled with GO gives me an even coverage over the whole print so I can't see why a dedicated printer with multiple carts filled with go is any better.
This really confuses me as I've never understood it.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Rod on the 9500MKII you are only printing from one cart, The Matte Black whicih in that particular case it is better to print from a black document and choose Matte or plain paper as the paper choice. That way the 9500 will only print from the MK cart loaded with GLOP

My situation is using 6 carts. C-lC-M-lM-Y-K but all 6 filled with GLOP.
In order to force the printer to print EQUALLY from all six colors, the rip needs this special curve.
It will not work any other way. You must also send a white document to it. No other color will work.
This is straight from QuadTone and from CONE inks.

Joe

EDIT:

Rodham here is the email text directly from Jon CONE concerning setting up my 1400 for all GLOP overcoating.

So, how this works is that you

1) You need to download QuadTone RIP from http://www.quadtonerip.com/ and install it.

2) To install the GO curve I made for you, please drag and drop the curve into the following folder location: (Windows) C\ProgramFiles\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone\1400-K6 (Mac) /Applications/QuadToneRIP/Profiles/Printer Model-K7
NOTE: With Mac users, you must uninstall your Quad printer model then reinstall it using the install.command located in the same folder you placed the new curve in. This will show the new curve in QuadTone RIP. 

you need to know how to use QTR and run it from Mac or Windows - look at my manual here:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/c.362672/site/techdocs/The_new_Piezography_manual.pdf
Do not use the manual that comes with the QTR download.
It's important that you use it correctly - in order to make this work. Ask me questions if you need.
The way this curve works is that it uses a different format than regular QTR curves. It has the numerical data for each of six channels and in each channel it includes how much ink to print according to 256 gray values. Normally, no ink whatsoever prints at pixel value L255. That is always paper white and represented by a 0 (zero). But, in this curve the first location of each channel of ink is 5000 and every other of the following 255 shade values is 0. So, ink will only print when white is called for. This means that it will print all over the paper to the extent of the margins allowed by QuadTone RIP. And therefore the image that is used to print must also be white. A regular RGB image file with a canvas color or 255,255,255 is required. When you print and select this GO curve, 5000 units of a possible 64,000+ units are printed from each of the six channels on the white image and the surrounding paper margins. This will fully equalize the gloss differential and eliminate bronzing. I believe that 30000 units total is necessary to cover Piezography inks. I do not know how much you need to cover color pigment inks. So therefore you can add more or less by editing this GO Cruve.

I called this curve 1400-5000x6GO.quad
If there is not enough GO - you can duplicate this file and open it in a file editor like Text Edit on Mac or Text Pad on PC. Locate the 5000 in each of the six channels. here is what the top of the GO curve file looks like when you edit it in a text editor:

## QuadToneRIP K,C,M,Y,LC,LM

# Copyright 2013 Vermont PhotoInkjet, LLC

# Produced for Jose Rodriguez by Jon Cone

# Applies GO using six channels

# For EPSON 1400 with Piezography GO

# K curve

The file continues down the page foreverI just copied a few rows. Above each column of values is the ink channel - such as #K curve, #C Curve, etc.

Change the 5000 to 6000 for example in each channel to increase the total amount of GO to 36000 units, or reduce the amount

Do not Save the file, rather quit the text editor and allow it to ask you to save it before closing. By not doing it that way, some formatting may be applied and the GO curve will not work with QTR.

You have to run the install command again on Macs after deleting the printer in System Preferences / Print & Scan

On windows it should just show up.
It's actually very easy to run QTR with this curve.
Please let me know how it works out -

Concerning Magenta - we reformulated ours sometime in late 2011. Also re did out LK and PK to bring up our glossiness and dMax to equal Epson. We are the only ink company in USA that makes its own ink rather than repackage an other brand. We have our own chemist who we have worked exclusively with since 2002.

A lot of pro printers are using the GO to cover HP and Epson pigment prints. You will be the first to do it desktop! Please keep me informed! Ask me for help when you need it! :)

your GO should arrive in a few days, compliments of the house!

Best regards,

Jon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to me now:

The statement about that thy are the only Company in the USA that makes their own ink,,,,, Well that's not entirely true. The lab that makes his inks is indeed in China BUT they do make inks only for his company! So statement is half true. As far as I have discovered their only customer it Inkjetmall ( CONE )
and they are the only inks that are microencasulated as are EPSON's Pigment K3 inks.

But then where are EPSON inks actually manufactured?????

I have also been using the downloaded non paid for Quadtone RIP for many many months without any notice of expiration whatsoever. So does one really have to pay $50???
I have no clue.
Feel free to take the chance.

Joe

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am thinking to use my Epson WF-7525 to use the GLOP in the black cartridge, as it is meant for text printing, the speed of putting GLOP on paper should be considerably fast. This way my prints up to A3+ can be coated with a nice gloss.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
cls said:
The WF7010/7525 series have 384 Black nozzels and 128 for Yellow/Cyan/Magenta each

The EPson stylus 1400 hast 90 nozzels each color converting a 1400 for dedicated gloss would be result in 540 nozzles

My brother is using my WF7015 for his university stuff and dyesublimation transfer prints so I am not likely to get this thing back :)

So I wil be trying this first with a spare Epson Stylus Photo R800 and maybe switch to an R1800 but with ALL cartriges in place.. I dont know if
QTR is even able to utilez all eight channels since matte and photo black is equipd simultanesously but never printed simlutaneously
180 by 8 nozzles would be a whopping 1440 nozzle firing glop onto the paper
I use cheap 4x6 paper for postcardprinting and some of my customers dont like the fact that the papers shines more than the ink covered areas
If you are sharing a single channel for whatever black ( PK / MK ) it will only use the one. If it has separate black channels? I am not entirely sure.
I have an R800 still new in its box. Got it for free locally. But I don't even know about how it handles its two blacks.
The R1900 / R2000 does not share either. But I still don't know about the R800 / R1800

My thinking is that it will fire out of only the channels it is actively using. depending on the type of paer you tell QT RIP to use.

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
cls said:
Quad Tone Rip being such a versatile software package supports many different combinations of printers and inks. Only Epson printers are supported. Many are profiled for several papers and are ready-to-go. Others are available for customization.
Thank you, as that has confirmed my suspensions..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
cls said:
The active configuration on the R800 / R1900 from left to right is
yellow magenta cyan matteK photoK Red Blue GO
so ALL cartriges are in place all the time

Does QuadtoneRip acts as a separate print-driver?

From what I have seen on various Rip Software such as DavinciTurbo Rip from Fullbitsoft (origin is Korea) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87thcJEyTZk
The DavinciTurbo Rip can utilize EACH channel seperately, they are changing and 8 channel printer into a double CYMK >
from left to right C Y M K C Y M K
mass production printer with roll printing up to 200m ... :| crazy
Yes it operates independantly for the printer drivers. It is its own entity.

It is normally needed becuase when you conver a CMYK printer to all black it needs a totally different way of telling the printer how to use the various shades of black.

Joe

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Guys,

Could you split the conversation into another thread, as it becomes a QTR talk now, not about the pro's and con's of the latest OCP K3 Vivid pigment ink ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK, I did made a few prints on several types of glossy paper and indeed the type of paper does influence the amount of glossiness. Netbit, Epson Semi Gloss, Moab, TPI Glossy do beautifully well. HP Glossy paper is suboptimal and causes the magenta to be muted down.

My overall impression of this ink: for the price the results are just fantastic and glossiness is more than satisfactory (Epson K3 Vivid still rules supreme). ABW-mode is good (a bit warmer) , but Inkrepublic's IRK4-nano Vivid produces a much more neutral print.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
8056_epson_luster_ocp002.jpg

OCP K3 using Epson Profile

8056_epson_luster_oem001.jpg

EPSON OEM INKS Epson Profile

8056_epson_luster_ocp_cm_profile003.jpg

OCP K3 after Profiling with COLORMUNKI