New Canon Printers

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat said:
kspeed55 wrote:

My ip4200 apparently escaped the strike which you would expect as it had a lot more cases of paper run through it than the 850. I had a beastly time getting it to work with Vista. Has anyone gotten it to work with Windows 7? I am sure that my new computer will have that OS.
I have used an iP4300 and iP4500 with both Vista and Win 7 64bit with no problems whatsoever.
The only printer that was problematic at first was iP4700 but once I checked Windows website it then worked perfectly..:)
My wife's new computer has Win7 64 bit, and she is using an I960. I downloaded an "add-on" before installing the driver and it works perfectly. Google ip4200 and Win7. I did the installation several months ago, but as I recall, the download was from Microsoft.

WolfgangExler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is easy to install the iP4200 driver with windows 7 x64: just use the regular Add a printer dialog, then select Add a local printer, choose nul: as a local port just to get the driver downloaded), click on Windows Update, the you have to wait until the list of available drivers is downloaded (this may take a while) then select the Manufacturer Canon (left frame) and then select the Pixma iP4200 (right frame) and complete the installation. This will download and install the iP4200 driver without connecting the printer to the PC. The same can be done when the printer is connected via USB cable.

If the computer does not have a internet connection you have to download the driver:
go to a PC with internet connection, start INTERNET EXPLORER (may not wotk with other browser) and go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com
enter "Canon iP4200" in the search field in the upper right corner and search. The you will find the drivers to download an do this download. After download you may receive a .CAB file which has to be transfered to the destination PC, extract the CAB file on the Win 7 PC to any directory. When installingh the iP4200 printer, during the installtion select DISK as a source for the driver and point the directory where the extracted files from .CAB are located.

Wolfgang

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
macbroom said:
I would suggest the MG 6120. I have 2 now because the ink was more than the new printer....$99 on sale at staples in Canada. I got a set of refillable carts and swapped the chips from stock Canon carts and all is well now except that the ink levels don't seem to be dropping since I reset. Some have commented that the reset chips don't drop levels like the OEM carts but will show a warning when empty...can anyone confirm this?

These printers are very nice and if in the US you can load the EU firmware to print CDs but I would assume that you would still need a cd tray.

BTW I have a spare tray from an old mp 640 that f'd up after I had an ink leak...no odds as comments show that that model had a very short life before it would start to show error codes and fail to print.
The consensus of here is to only use OEM cartridges and not compatibles for refilling.
Try using the 220/221s cartridges and put the Canon chips on them then get a resetter and good quality inks now your problems will be fewer.
You can get both quality inks and a resetter maybe even empty cartridges from precisioncolors.com in Canada..:)

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all of the useful information. Which cartridges are easier to refill and reset, the 220/221 or 225/226? I have always used Canon cartridges and have had great success.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
kspeed55 said:
Which cartridges are easier to refill and reset, the 220/221 or 225/226?
Read post #5 in this thread.

M

macbroom

To the hat...I have some 220 carts but that's what f'd up my mp640 when I drilled them and they leaked! I'm not useing compatibles but empty refillable carts and ink from inkproducts.com. I refilled 1 set of canon carts by ball drilling/pulling and then filling and hot glueing but I wanted an easier solution so I went with the carts with the sponge and plugs.......time will tell if is was a good choice!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
macbroom said:
To the hat...I have some 220 carts but that's what f'd up my mp640 when I drilled them and they leaked! I'm not useing compatibles but empty refillable carts and ink from inkproducts.com. I refilled 1 set of canon carts by ball drilling/pulling and then filling and hot glueing but I wanted an easier solution so I went with the carts with the sponge and plugs.......time will tell if is was a good choice!
There are easier ways to skin a cat in fact two other ways.
One being the German Refill method and the other is the Freedom refill method,
both of these ways are easier than your current method I am reliably told.

Of course you can just drill a small hole in the top of your cartridge and dont bother removing the refill ball at all that's a little quicker too.
The reason I mentioned compatibles is they are certainly easier to refill but dont give the quality of OEMs while printing or the longevity,
so yes therere quicker to refill but quicker to go wrong too.

The best way to refill is the most enjoyable way for you, not necessarily the quickest way,
so try to settle on a way that suites both you and your printer.

Holding a Tiger by the tail is not the best way to start a long friendship.
Buy cheap pay twice.

So please always remember Happy Refilling.. :thumbsup

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess I can conclude from all of this that I will not be able to refill and reset the cartridges in a modern Canon printer as easily as I can in my iP4200, iP3500, and could in my MX 850. I am sure all this refilling makes Canon really mad and the reason I bought one of the last MX 850s is I thought this would happen. Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
kspeed55 said:
I guess I can conclude from all of this that I will not be able to refill and reset the cartridges in a modern Canon printer as easily as I can in my iP4200, iP3500, and could in my MX 850. I am sure all this refilling makes Canon really mad and the reason I bought one of the last MX 850s is I thought this would happen. Thanks!
On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.
By switching to the 220/221 cartridges instead you can carry on refilling as before
just like you did with the CLI-8s without having to change anything.

If you can get any of the printers that take the CLI-221 or CLI-8 cartridges new or second hand never mind an all in one just go for it,
try searching further afield the courier cost couldnt be that expensive where you are.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:

On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.
Could you please describe this new method in a new thread? I'm looking forward to it :)