New Canon Printers

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My MX-850 got hit by lightning (even though everything was plugged into a UPS) and I don't have a lot of time to research printers and cartridges. Does anyone have ideas on a suitable replacement and if the new cartridges can be reset and refilled? I have a chip resetter and use the bottom refill method and it works great. I apologize if this is redundant but I have a bunch of computer stuff to research and buy to get running again. Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kspeed55 said:
My MX-850 got hit by lightning (even though everything was plugged into a UPS) and I don't have a lot of time to research printers and cartridges. Does anyone have ideas on a suitable replacement and if the new cartridges can be reset and refilled? I have a chip resetter and use the bottom refill method and it works great. I apologize if this is redundant but I have a bunch of computer stuff to research and buy to get running again. Thanks!
There is an MX 870 that will do everything that the MX 850 will do but its pricey as always.
If you just want a printer then you could look at Ip3600..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
FYI: The MX870 is not convertible to print on disks while the MX850 was.

Kspeed55:

We're not mind readers. If you want good advice then you'll need to put in the effort to post what it is you want from your printer.

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What I want from a replacement for my 850 is basically what I had with that printer. My first want is one that I can reset and refill cartridges, hopefully in a manner similar to the 850. I use the machine to print from a computer, FAX, copy, and scan. I use the duplexing features both for printing from the computer and copying. I like being able to darken copies. Wireless operation would be nice if it actually works. Is the MX 870 still available?

My ip4200 apparently escaped the strike which you would expect as it had a lot more cases of paper run through it than the 850. I had a beastly time getting it to work with Vista. Has anyone gotten it to work with Windows 7? I am sure that my new computer will have that OS.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You haven't mentioned cost. If you are in the USA and looking to maximize your dollars spent, try a Canon refurbished printer such as the PIXMA MG6120 Wireless Refurbished (uses 6 cartridges that include a Gray ink and can be converted to print on CD/DVD's) or the PIXMA MX882 Wireless Refurbished (uses 5 cartridges and isn't convertible to print on disks as of yet if ever).

Both printers have drivers for Windows 7. Both printers use the 225/226 model cartridges. For ease of refilling it is suggested to purchase a chip restter for this model chip and then swap the chips onto 220/221 model cartridges. You can use a second Black 221 cartridge for the Gray cartridge making sure to clearly relabel it to prevent confusion as forum member The Hat has suggested in another thread. The reason for the swap is because the 220/221 cartridges retain a clear window to guage fill level while the 225/226 cartridges are all opaque.

Other strategies for you is to buy a printer that uses the cartridges you already own (see list here ) and look on eBay and Craigslist or go to a thrift shop for low cost replacements.

N

nancydutta

Assigning an IP Address to Your Printer:

Assigning an IP Address to Your Printer

There are a few ways to assign an IP Address to your printer. Below we have a few steps that will help you assign an IP address using a web interface. Another way of assigning is through the printer itself.

1: The Configuration and the Explorer

Take a printout of the configurations page. The internet explorer page needs to be open. All addresses from the address line have to be deleted.

2: Enter IP Address

You now have to enter the IP address in the address bar, and then press enter.

3: Printer

Once you connect the printer and switch it on, the IP address that has been entered will automatically get assigned to that printer.

4: Manual Assignation

Click on the networking tab in case of a newer model of printer; open the administration window and then click on the configuration tab.

5: Editing

You need to edit the IP Address entered previously. For this you need a Gateway address and also a Subnet Mask, no other field needs to be changed.

6: Apply

All you need to do now is scroll down to the bottom and apply. You then close the internet explorer window and restart the computer.

You will need to check that the configuration was set and you will need to print the configuration page again. The above steps will help you assign an IP address to your printer through the Wizard.

WolfgangExler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
kspeed55 said:
My ip4200 apparently escaped the strike which you would expect as it had a lot more cases of paper run through it than the 850. I had a beastly time getting it to work with Vista. Has anyone gotten it to work with Windows 7? I am sure that my new computer will have that OS.
I use a Canon Pixma iP4200 with Windows 7 x64 without any problems.

Wolfgang

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
You haven't mentioned cost.
To a large degree, cost is irrelevant because if I can easily refill and reset cartridges it will pay for about any printer in a short time. I did a cost computation for a 6 month sample last year and estimated that I had saved over $13,000. since 1995.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kspeed55 wrote:

I have used an iP4300 and iP4500 with both Vista and Win 7 64bit with no problems whatsoever.
The only printer that was problematic at first was iP4700 but once I checked Windows website it then worked perfectly..:)

M

macbroom

I would suggest the MG 6120. I have 2 now because the ink was more than the new printer....$99 on sale at staples in Canada. I got a set of refillable carts and swapped the chips from stock Canon carts and all is well now except that the ink levels don't seem to be dropping since I reset. Some have commented that the reset chips don't drop levels like the OEM carts but will show a warning when empty...can anyone confirm this?

These printers are very nice and if in the US you can load the EU firmware to print CDs but I would assume that you would still need a cd tray.

BTW I have a spare tray from an old mp 640 that f'd up after I had an ink leak...no odds as comments show that that model had a very short life before it would start to show error codes and fail to print.