New Canon Printers

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have refilled my 225 and 226 cartridges on my new printer and want to report the method I used. I got a resetter for this cartridge type and was successful in resetting the chip even though the resetter came without instructions. (It seems it does two short flashes, then one longer flash, then nothing; the led on my other resetter stays on when the chip is reset.) I then weigh the cartridge then subtract that weight from that of a new cartridge. Then using the bottom fill method, I fill the cartridge with the weight difference in ml. Maybe I should calculate for the specific gravity difference of ink but I doubt that would be very much. The trickiest thing is getting the cannula into the correct space without being able to see it through the cartridge bottom. My color cartridges have a small translucent panel below the reservoir which helps. The cartridges are working fine. My only advice is to be very careful where you drill the hole as I have one that was a bit off and it is difficult to get the cannula inserted in the right place. Thanks to all the help here.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Congratulations on refilling the opaque cartridges, well done :thumbsup

You need not worry about the specific gravity of the ink. I did a search and found that Canon OEM ink had a specific gravity of 1-1.1 and IS inks had a specific gravity of 1-1.05. That is close enough to 1 to set 1g=1ml without ill effects. See this post: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=52169#p52169

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just wanted to report that I love my MX882. I hated to send my 850 to the landfill but the 882 is superior, especially the software. I would recommend this printer.
On another note, I bought an extra set of cartridges with the printer as recommended by the salesman (before I even asked). When I put the gray cartridge into the printer last week, it would not accept it and gave me an error message. When I tried to return it to Worst Buy, they told me that they wouldnt accept any cartridge over 30 days. What a great deal! So I heartily recommend Worst Buy: that you avoid it if possible. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to do with the new and useless cartridge other than a place in the landfill beside my 850?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kspeed55

Sorry to hear about your poor customer service with Worst Buy, now they are at a loss of your good custom,
they are certainly living up to their name.

Try resetting the grey cartridge to see if the led light stays on and if not it is probably just a duff chip that can happen anytime.

Keep an eye out and you might be able to pick up an empty grey cartridge some place or
just get an aftermarket pre filled cartridge and swap the chip after it becomes empty.. :)

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Resetting the cartridge did not work. I have never used aftermarket cartridges; are you saying I could take the chip off of that and put it on my cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kspeed55 said:
Thanks for the help. Resetting the cartridge did not work. I have never used aftermarket cartridges; are you saying I could take the chip off of that and put it on my cartridge?
Aftermarket carts work very well for one time use and when it's empty then snip off the chip
and place it on your OEM cartridge then your ready to go.

I would advise you to reset the chip first just to make sure that the chip can in fact be reset.

Here is a easy tutorial on chip removal http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6360