New Canon Printers

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I found this very encouraging report on refilling the opaque cartridges, using the German method, in another thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=52047#p52047

I now have 3 cartridges marked low by my MP540. When at least one is marked empty by the printer I will continue testing and publish my results. I'm especially interested in the weights of the cartridges, when they are marked empty by the printer.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
So I would strongly suggest that you keep your misguided comments to yourself
and refrain from their use in future posts thank you..
Happy Printing. :)
The Hat: you have no right to ask others to stop posting topics that you don't agree or don't like. You are entitled to post your different opinions freely. It is not cool to say yeah I am a better driver so you better stay away from driving. Can't even think about that.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Grandexp
The Hat: you have no right to ask others to stop posting topics that you don't agree or don't like. You are entitled to post your different opinions freely. It is not cool to say yeah I am a better driver so you better stay away from driving. Can't even think about that.

Yes I most certainly do have the right to comment same as you and everybody else has,
so climb down of your moral horse and just think about it for a few minutes.

While you there you might even think about apologising for your own comments which I will accept gracefully.
Thank you very much.. :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Guys, please keep these personal issues off the public forum. If someone is breaking the rules, report their posts. If you have issues with something someone says you can (and probably should) take it to a private message, but by no means should you feel compelled to reply in kind publicly.

Bottom line: These types of direct posts are not appropriate for our community.

Thanks!

roseebi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have also CANON iP4950 Inkjet Printer. It's service is very nice. If any body use it, then i hope he/she will feel comfortable. It's all information given below:

Price : $112.00

PRODUCT
Brand Name Canon
Manufacturer Web Site
Product Line PIXMA
Product Type Photo Printer
Product Model IP4950
PRINT FEATURES
Technology Inkjet
Speed (Black) 12.5ipm
Speed (Color) 9.3ipm
Speed (Photo Paper) 20seconds
Resolution (Color) 9600 x 2400dpi
MEDIA HANDLING FEATURES
Input Capacity Plain paper: 150 sheets
Cassette: 150 sheets
1 sheet (Manual handling by the CD-R tray)

Media Type #1 Plain Paper
Media Type #2 Envelopes
Media Type #3 Glossy Photo Paper
Media Type #4 Matte Photo Paper
Media Type #5 T-Shirt Transfers
Media Type #6 Glossy Photo Stickers
Media Type #7 High Resolution Paper
Media Type #8 Photo Paper Pro Platinum
Media Type #9 Photo Paper Plus Glossy II
Media Type #10 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss
Media Size #1 A4
Media Size #2 A5
Media Size #3 B5
Media Size #4 Legal
Media Size #5 DL Envelopes
Media Size #6 COM10 Envelopes
Media Size #7 4 x 6inch
Media Size #8 5 x 7inch
Media Size #9 8 x 10inch
Media Weight Plain Paper: 64-105g/m .
Canon specialty paper (max paper weight):approx 300g/m
Borderless Printing Yes
DEVICE FEATURES
Interface Type #1 1 x USB
Interface Type #2 1 x PictBridge
DIMENSIONS
Depth (mm) 297.0
Height (mm) 153.0
Width (mm) 431.0
Weight (Kg) 5.7
OTHER FEATURES
Compatible OS #1 Windows XP
Compatible OS #2 Windows Vista
Compatible OS #3 Mac OS X
Compatible OS #4 Windows 7
Input Voltage 100 to 240
Power Consumption 18Watt
Other Features * Ink Droplet Size : 1pl/2pl/5pl (C/M), 5pl (Dye BK/Y), 30pl (PgBK)

M

macbroom

Welcome to the forum Roseebi, you will find that there is alot of info here on getting the most from your printer without the excessive cost of purchasing replacement cartridges for your printer.

As this thread has got alot of hits lately for various reasons I will comment on my take on the newest models of Canon printers here. I will say up front that I am just posting my opinion and that as you read further down the post this may or may not apply to your situation.

As I see it there are several different types of people who for various different reasons have arrived at this thread.

The low use user who is not interested in the ins and outs of refilling and is just here to find a good source of compatibles to allow them to lower their cost per page. They can look though the forum and find several sources that others have recommended. They could also ask for advise on this and ignore other responses that don't apply to their situation.

The medium use user who has no clue about refilling but is looking for info on how to go about it. This is the tricky one. You need to read through this forum and search other sources as well as asking other people that you know for advice. Take all the advise on this forum with a grain of salt and make up your own mind on how you want to proceed with your refilling adventure.

The user who has refilling experience but is just looking for some specific advice. Don't be intimidated by the members on the forum and ask questions clearly. If the advise presented doesn't apply to you then just disregard it or ask again until you get the info you are looking for.

The print shop or photo shop owners who have years of experience. They will always differ in opinion among themselves so new members should not spend too much time trying to understand all of it.

If you go to a big box store and the salesman trys to sell you a bill of goods, go home, think about it for a day, ask your brother, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, or nerd friend and then make a decision. The same applies here.

As the Administrator of this Forum said you need to make decisions about your own refilling based on risk and reward. (FAQ at top of forum)

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigogu said:
PeterBJ said:
If you refilled the 525/526 cartridges, could you please give some details about your method ?
To be able to see something inside the cartridge I removed the label on top of spongeless side, with care not to unseal the air maze.
This way, placing the cartridge against a source of light I can see if there is still ink in reservoir, or if it there are air/bubbles on top of reservoir.
I refill when the printer shows the cartridge is empty (I have access to a resetter).
For refill I am using regular German method, keeping the cartridge/syringe ensemble almost vertical.
I inject about 6 ml for dyes and 10 ml for PGBK.
Under fill is signaled by air/a lot of bubbles on top of reservoir, after removing the syringe.
Overfill is signaled by outlet port becoming "wet" during refill.

It is fast, clean and I have not had any problems yet (over 100 refills).
I tried to remove the label from the top of the ink reservoir but I was unable to remove it completely. It was extremely difficult. What did you use to remove the label ? I removed what I could and while I can see (barely) if there is ink or not it would not be easy if not impossible to make out any air bubble forming. Maybe I will be able to if I can remove the label without any residue.
When you say with care not to unseal the air maze, what exactly is air maze and is it located on the sponge side or the reservoir side ? Or do you mean the air vent ?

jasonkrasnov

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of different thoughts on the new Canon Pixma Pro-1, but I still have some questions. So far I have been hearing about mostly the designs of the printer; how bulky and heavy it is, considering that it only prints at 13" by 19" at the largest dimension.

However, I am still wondering about the actual print quality. Is it really that great as it has been advertised, for the price tag of $1000 or should I consider another printer for cheaper and that might print larger? Any feed back would be great!

Also, I found 2 great articles on Canon's DLC blog talking about the set up of this printer from packaging to making your first print. However, it does not give a personal hands-on opinion of the actual print quality. Really nicely explained with pics for each step and very useful:
Since we cannot post links on this forum anymore, they are written out as bit.ly links below that you may copy and paste into the browser :/ Lame...I know lol

bit.ly/LyOKSd

&

bit.ly/KH6rAB

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jasonkrasnov said:
I have been hearing a lot of different thoughts on the new Canon Pixma Pro-1, but I still have some questions. So far I have been hearing about mostly the designs of the printer; how bulky and heavy it is, considering that it only prints at 13" by 19" at the largest dimension.

However, I am still wondering about the actual print quality. Is it really that great as it has been advertised, for the price tag of $1000 or should I consider another printer for cheaper and that might print larger? Any feed back would be great!
I have a Pro 1 printer and yes it does do very nice photos and is well worth every penny.
But I reckon you would want to be a professional or dedicated photographer
who wishes to sell or exhibit their prints to get the most pleasure from it.

Its a bit pricey to purchase, the inks are expensive and so is the proper photo papers
and if youre not selling the prints then it can become very heavy on the purse strings.

If the above suits you then you wont be disappointed in the print quality and the beauty of this printer is
you dont have to know much about printing because it does most of the guess work itself.

I dont use mine for photo printing nor do I use OEM Papers and inks so I am unaffected by high running costs
and am quite happy using the printer for everything that I want to print..